4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is this caused by the BCM or the window switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 12:04 PM

Is this caused by the BCM or the window switch?

1996 I30

All four locks and windows work fine, but there are some issues with the drivers door:

Opening the driver's door does not turn on the door courtesy/step lights, nor does the door ajar light come on, but the dome light works. All of these lights work perfect when the passenger door is opened.

The seat belt light doesn't work, either. However, it still beeps for a few seconds when you first start the car, and it does turn off when the belt is buckled.

No beep when the driver's door is open with the key in the ignition.

Programming remotes is not possible, either. Keyless entry was standard on the I30, so they all have it.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:29 PM

This is just a guess, but I had a similar problem when I bought my 97 se and it was the ignition switch. It affected all kinds of things including some of the things you mention. I got a used one and it fixed a host of issues, but don't rush out and buy one, test it first. Search ignition switch problems and symptoms first. It could be something else.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:55 PM
JvG

Icemules idea is as good a guess as any.

The ignition switch us a known probe area anyway. It causes starting issues as well as others. Possibly this one. I honestly don't know.

What I do know is that you might as well replace a switch which costs less than 30 bucks while you are in there anyway.
Because their life is limited anyway.

If you dont replace it, you will sooner or later, if you keep the car very long.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:56 PM

UPDATE: it is NOT the ignition switch!

I just replaced the ignition switch, and I still have the problems listed in the OP. The new switch works fine, as did the old switch.

I'm suspecting either the door lock actuator or the lock/window switch, maybe the BCM

I still find it odd that the light in the driver's door doesn't work when the driver's door is open, but works if another door is opened.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:25 AM

Try swapping the door switch for the passenger side...not the window switch but the little black rubber covered switch below the door stricker.

Seat belt light.... Is the light light when the key is turned to the on position and all the other lights come on for a few seconds then go off?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by allmazda
Try swapping the door switch for the passenger side...not the window switch but the little black rubber covered switch below the door stricker.

Seat belt light.... Is the light light when the key is turned to the on position and all the other lights come on for a few seconds then go off?
The seat belt light does not work

and thank you so much! Yeah I think I know what you mean!! And I just looked, and the button that's supposed to come with the switch is missing, and the rubber cover is torn! I'll go to the junkyard and get another one.

EDIT: I took the rubber thing off with the screw, and there was no switch behind it! The plastic tab where it connects is slightly broken. And the electrical switch part may have fallen inside the car, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get inside there and fish it out. The other three doors' switches have something connected to the rubber thing.

Last edited by maximaxi; 04-11-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:21 AM

I would take a 10mm socket and not a screwdriver...or both. Take on off a rear door.... Hopefully the rear doors are not used as much and it will last longer. Compare a rear door one to the front. Also I think the covers can be changed.

Take the boot off and add a little grease to the switch to help lubricate it
Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 AM

ANOTHER UPDATE

I got a switch at the junkyard for $5, and it works great! I now get the door ajar light, dome light, and step light on when the driver's door is open. I will update again if I can get the keyless entry to work.

Still no seat belt light.

The wiring was behind the seat belt trim. I took that off and found the wiring after a few minutes and then fed it thru the hole where the rubber goes.

Thank you again for your help
Old 04-11-2017, 11:13 AM

Keyless entry update: I can get the flashers on after inserting and removing the key, but not when I hit the button on the remote, so the remote may be no good, and yes, I even tried it with a new battery.

But that is a good sign though, since the flashers do come on after the key dance
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM

First try arming the security system.... Read how to on here.... You could have another switch somewhere not working. Just a guess...perhaps the hood or trunk.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:57 PM

Keyless entry works now

I got new remotes from eBay, and the keyless entry works now. I got two remotes and was able to program them with no problem. They lock, unlock, open the trunk, and sound the alarm with no problem, but it cannot open the windows.

The windows don't roll down with my (aftermarket) remotes, but they otherwise work.