Alternator died? Where to get new one? - Page 2 - Maxima Forums



4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alternator died? Where to get new one?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2017, 05:32 PM   #41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Wolcott Ct
Posts: 21
Try Everything Nissan. Their based out of Arizona and have every Nissan part for all Nissan's for a great price. Most parts arrive in around 3 days.
Wolcottmax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #42
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolcottmax1
Try Everything Nissan. Their based out of Arizona and have every Nissan part for all Nissan's for a great price. Most parts arrive in around 3 days.
It'd be a bit more useful if they actually offered Gen 4 parts.
Turbobink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #43
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 155
I've got about 17k on an Autozone alternator - had it in the car for two years now. No issues.
Shrout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #44
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 204
Its been only NINE months since I installed the (what was represented at the time to be "new") Bosch AL2365N Alternator.

It appears to have taken a dump today. 11.90 volts (on the alternator post) and falling while running, Battery and Brake light on. There is now also an unhealthy noise coming from the engine room when its in gear, but not Park or Neutral - not 100% sure the two issues are related.

This is now the second alternator in a row that has lasted less than 12 months (see my previous posts). The last time the alternator (an "Ultima", from O'Reilly) failed the battery was found to be damaged - that battery was an Optima red top and was discovered to be barely functioning.

At that time I replaced the Optima with a _very_ expensive "X2 Power" AGM battery that is still in the car now.

This car is, by and large, "barely driven". This Bosch alternator that's in there now didn't even last 10k miles. I regret recommending the Bosch to others. I have always effort-ed to supply the best information that was available to me at the time.

Could there be anything else amiss in the electrical system that could be causing these repeated alternator failures? Without another culprit I am left with "nobody building a quality new alternator for 4th Gens".

I greatly appreciate any guidance, Thanks.

BrianA in Houston
reallywildstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 502
Sorry to hear this! I also installed one, but no problems at all. (YET) LOL

You know, every manufacturer has a premature failure rate, no matter how good or bad. Obviously the good has a much lower rate, but failures nonetheless.

Warranty is one year, so if you can, get another covered. I'd bet it will stick. And if it goes prematurely, I guess try a rebuilt Denso.

The Alternator sub world is its own animal.
KP11520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fuk 301 it's 410 Bal Md black/purple.
Posts: 1,592
Advance auto parts had an tough one brand that was remaning nissans oem alternator. They apparently stopped making parts for nissan in the tough one brand. It's replaced with carquest and world pac alternators. Best bet oem dealer.
vqmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #47
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 9,698
The dealer only sells re-manufactured alternators too. You can't win.
DennisMik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fuk 301 it's 410 Bal Md black/purple.
Posts: 1,592
reman better than any other stuff out there.
vqmaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #49
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallywildstuff View Post
Its been only NINE months since I installed the (what was represented at the time to be "new") Bosch AL2365N Alternator.

It appears to have taken a dump today. 11.90 volts (on the alternator post) and falling while running, Battery and Brake light on. There is now also an unhealthy noise coming from the engine room when its in gear, but not Park or Neutral - not 100% sure the two issues are related.

This is now the second alternator in a row that has lasted less than 12 months (see my previous posts). The last time the alternator (an "Ultima", from O'Reilly) failed the battery was found to be damaged - that battery was an Optima red top and was discovered to be barely functioning.

At that time I replaced the Optima with a _very_ expensive "X2 Power" AGM battery that is still in the car now.

This car is, by and large, "barely driven". This Bosch alternator that's in there now didn't even last 10k miles. I regret recommending the Bosch to others. I have always effort-ed to supply the best information that was available to me at the time.

Could there be anything else amiss in the electrical system that could be causing these repeated alternator failures? Without another culprit I am left with "nobody building a quality new alternator for 4th Gens".

I greatly appreciate any guidance, Thanks.

BrianA in Houston
Are you leaking oil? from your valve covers, camshaft position sensor, or crank pulley? Valve cover seals seem to be big on these cars, both of mine are leaking and i'm in the process of replacing rn bc my alternator was covered in oil which is what caused it to go around 20k miles

i also don't know how much grounds can affect these, but i have noticed the ground points on the car seem to get covered in corrosion after time and is a big reason aftermarket grounding is such an upgrade on higher mileage cars. btw i would definitely recommend a grounding kit, i definitely noticed the decrease in sluggish takeoffs and no more dimming of headlights etc

Last edited by Violator; 03-02-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:05 AM   #50
Senior Member
iTrader: (19)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 301 MD FEAR THE TURTLE!!
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisMik View Post
The dealer only sells re-manufactured alternators too. You can't win.
This is true, weird fact about about dealer re-man ones are that they say "made in Japan" BUT remanufactured in USA. None the less id rather put in dealer part than advanced auto, autozone etc....if anyone is looking for OEM and remanufactured nissan alternators i have a few.
lux97Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:17 AM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Are you leaking oil? from your valve covers, camshaft position sensor, or crank pulley? Valve cover seals seem to be big on these cars, both of mine are leaking and i'm in the process of replacing rn bc my alternator was covered in oil which is what caused it to go around 20k miles

i also don't know how much grounds can affect these, but i have noticed the ground points on the car seem to get covered in corrosion after time and is a big reason aftermarket grounding is such an upgrade on higher mileage cars. btw i would definitely recommend a grounding kit, i definitely noticed the decrease in sluggish takeoffs and no more dimming of headlights etc
"YES", it leaks. Not leaking enough near the alternator to cause this problem however.

I also frequently see posts about grounding problems. They usually are from people who deal with snow (salt) on a regular (yearly) basis, and/or have previously separated the trans and engine and thus compromised the low-resistance between the two (didn't sand the mating surfaces before re-install).

By comparison this car has never seen snow (it will never snow in Houston ever again, believe it) and this car has ZERO corrosion to speak of. Engine and trans have never been separated. AND there are no other electrcial symptoms as described above ("sluggish takeoffs", "dimming of headlights") other than "can't keep an alternator alive".

Faulty electrical systems don't usually manifest symptoms over time - they are usually pretty quick to reveal themselves (a day, or a week - maybe the first trip, or the third, or whatever). This alternator failed only after many, many cycles - although really only like 5k miles (not the higher figure I quoted earlier).

Last edited by reallywildstuff; 03-03-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: typo
reallywildstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:56 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central AR
Posts: 2,455
What brand of battery is in the car now? I had a two month old Advance silver battery short out that caused all kinds of strange starting problems on the Q45 a couple weeks ago. The way I isolated the battery problem was by disconnecting the battery from the car and running it via jumpers to another known good battery. The battery tested good when I went to return it. Because I am a good customer I returned the larger silver battery for a smaller size gold version that solved the problem. With that battery hooked up to the car, I had a bundle of different electrical and intermittent starting issues.
CS_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS_AR View Post
What brand of battery is in the car now?
It is an "X2Power Premium AGM Car and Truck Battery" # SLI35AGMDP

https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...i35agmdp#specs

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...26-months.html
reallywildstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #54
Senior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hatfield, MA
Posts: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshG View Post
Bought a gold standard new alternator/starter 8 months ago and no problems ever since.. From autozone, get in the zone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus909 View Post
Not really trolling dude. I had my AZ battery on my car for four years going strong and had one on my previous car, replaced it once because my battery messed it up. My alternator came with a test data sheet showing its amperage pulling numbers. Plus if something was to happen there is AZ on every corner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrout1 View Post
I've got about 17k on an Autozone alternator - had it in the car for two years now. No issues.
I installed the brand new lifetime warranty autozone DG13284 alternator 3 years (37,000 miles) ago and it's held fine. As with the quotes from 3 other members in this thread I speak from experience. Many members have written "I've heard bad word about autzone alternators...".

EDIT: If a member has had bad luck with a new autozone alternator then make a post. We need to speak from experience and stop passing around rumors.

Last edited by jholley; 03-03-2017 at 12:28 PM.
jholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:45 PM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholley View Post
I installed the brand new lifetime warranty autozone DG13284 alternator 3 years (37,000 miles) ago and it's held fine.
Thank you kindly. I presume you are referring to the first item below (three alternators listed on AZ's website):

DLG13284 $183.99 "100% new" (although still a $10 core charge)

13284 $131.99 "Premium Reman" ($23 core)

13284VC $129.99 "Remanufactured unit" ($60 core!)

Earlier today (before you laid down the much-appreciated details re: AZ alternators) I bought this, its supposed to arrive tomorrow (with $15.99 one day shipping) for $203.14 total:

Amazon Amazon

The AutoZone "100% new" unit, with Texas sales tax @ 1.0825, would have been $4 cheaper in person. The Amazon item would have been less expensive than AutoZone if I had chosen standard Prime shipping.
reallywildstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:47 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island
Posts: 502
Well, your Bosch has a 1 year warranty on it with 9 months of it used, so I hope you pursue getting it replaced for the cost of return shipping. At least you can sell it on CL and recoup some of what that new one cost you.

I still think you were just unlucky and got that rare bad one.

Good luck with this new PG Alternator. Sounds great from their marketing jargon! And cheaper than a Denso re-manufactured. (and reused parts)
KP11520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #57
Senior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hatfield, MA
Posts: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallywildstuff View Post
Thank you kindly. I presume you are referring to the first item below (three alternators listed on AZ's website):

DLG13284 $183.99 "100% new" (although still a $10 core charge)

13284 $131.99 "Premium Reman" ($23 core)

13284VC $129.99 "Remanufactured unit" ($60 core!)

Earlier today (before you laid down the much-appreciated details re: AZ alternators) I bought this, its supposed to arrive tomorrow (with $15.99 one day shipping) for $203.14 total:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The AutoZone "100% new" unit, with Texas sales tax @ 1.0825, would have been $4 cheaper in person. The Amazon item would have been less expensive than AutoZone if I had chosen standard Prime shipping.
Yes the DLG13284 alternator that delivers 125A. I paid only $134 + $10 core for it 3 years ago. Don't know if the price was jacked or if I was getting a discount?

Last edited by jholley; 03-03-2017 at 06:22 PM.
jholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #58
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP11520 View Post
Well, your Bosch has a 1 year warranty on it with 9 months of it used, so I hope you pursue getting it replaced for the cost of return shipping. At least you can sell it on CL and recoup some of what that new one cost you.

I still think you were just unlucky and got that rare bad one.

Good luck with this new PG Alternator. Sounds great from their marketing jargon! And cheaper than a Denso re-manufactured. (and reused parts)
I also spoke with Bosch Automotive Technical Support today (it was a busy day). They created a warranty "ticket" and said the "warranty department" would contact me within 24-48 hours - which would mean Monday or Tuesday. That was "not soon enough", ergo I purchased the Premier Gear unit as a replacement.
reallywildstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #59
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Planet Houston
Posts: 204
"Last Time (~11 Weeks Ago) on AS THE ALTERNATOR TURNS":

Our hero had purchased the "Premier Gear" "100% New" Alternator from Amazon, to replace the failed 9-month old Bosch 100% new unit (also purchased from Amazon).

The Premier Gear unit was DOA - I couldn't believe it. I packed it back up and sent it back to Amazon postage paid, and the refund was issued as soon as UPS scanned the package at pickup. Amazon's was a 100% satisfying return experience; however, I'll never buy a "Premier Gear" anything ever again.

Yesterday (64 days since the faulty alternator arrived at Bosch's facility in Broadview, IL) I received my refund check from Robert Bosch Corporation in the mail. The Bosch alternator lasted ~9 months, and it took 2 months to receive the refund. There was some emailing and phone calls involved in my receiving Satisfaction. My experience with Bosch Corporation was a middling one but it was indeed "Fair".

I am currently running the AutoZone DLG13284 "100% new" (as recommended by JHolley) with no issues. I had previously talked noise about the quality of AutoZone's parts - I stand corrected.

Brian in Houston
reallywildstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 832
When a stock alternator died in my Honda a few months ago, I bought a "remanufactured" Denso alternator from Amazon. Upon inspection I could not find any evidence that this was a remanufactured unit. Everything checked brand spanking new. Installed it and no issues so far. If it lasts half as long as the original, I got my money'$ worth.
Tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:15 PM   #61
Senior Member
iTrader: (13)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Hatfield, MA
Posts: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by reallywildstuff View Post
"Last Time (~11 Weeks Ago) on AS THE ALTERNATOR TURNS":

Our hero had purchased the "Premier Gear" "100% New" Alternator from Amazon, to replace the failed 9-month old Bosch 100% new unit (also purchased from Amazon).

The Premier Gear unit was DOA - I couldn't believe it. I packed it back up and sent it back to Amazon postage paid, and the refund was issued as soon as UPS scanned the package at pickup. Amazon's was a 100% satisfying return experience; however, I'll never buy a "Premier Gear" anything ever again.

Yesterday (64 days since the faulty alternator arrived at Bosch's facility in Broadview, IL) I received my refund check from Robert Bosch Corporation in the mail. The Bosch alternator lasted ~9 months, and it took 2 months to receive the refund. There was some emailing and phone calls involved in my receiving Satisfaction. My experience with Bosch Corporation was a middling one but it was indeed "Fair".

I am currently running the AutoZone DLG13284 "100% new" (as recommended by JHolley) with no issues. I had previously talked noise about the quality of AutoZone's parts - I stand corrected.

Brian in Houston
Good luck with the new DLG13284 alternator! Mine has nearly 42,000 miles with no issues.

What ruined my OEM alternator was the oil leak on my front valve cover. I replaced the gasket to stop the oil leak before installing the DLG13284 alternator.

EDIT:

I just gave the well functioning DLG13284 Alternator a 5 star rating on 5/19/17

http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...79693_937005_0

Last edited by jholley; 05-24-2017 at 06:24 AM.
jholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:52 PM   #62
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 265
Napa auto parts. They offer 3 Yr warranty on their Rebuilts. Its not rebuilt by Napa, some other company does. Mine has lasted through valve cover leaking, and recently....coolant hose leaking. It's atleast has 100,000 miles + knock on wood. Their belts also last forever.

Comparably, I had a rebuilt advanced auto one go out within 60,000 miles, or like a couple years it probably was. Unacceptable. However, advance just happens to be my go to place. I shoulda went with Napa for these new hoses but I'm swamped on buying parts for multiple jobs.
97_GXE is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maxima S - does it have a USB music port? valerit1 7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) 4 05-19-2016 04:13 PM
1998 e brake not holding up blkmax1 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) 7 03-10-2016 03:14 AM
car ran perfect and now wont start??? 3 codes slickblack94 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) 8 02-29-2016 10:33 AM
voltage to EGRC solenoid, CAL maxima GXE 1996 max1996 4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) 2 02-26-2016 07:01 AM
Nissan Sport Brake Estebanmg 8th Generation Maxima (2016-) 7 02-22-2016 06:43 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:15 AM.