4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen. Max vs. new cars - what do YOU like?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:56 PM

4th gen. Max vs. new cars - what do YOU like?

Hi all:

So I've been looking for a used AWD or 4WD. I want to spare my max from nasty road salt and I just need a dependable AWD/4WD for winter driving.

Has anyone looked at newer cars these days?? I've got to tell you, they really make me appreciate my old 4th generation all the more. I decided to make a list to share of what I really like about my Max. Feel free to post what you have observed or like.
  • Solid car – steel just seems thicker in general than new cars. I feel quite safe driving this car.
  • Great lines – still a modern and sexy looking car. Doesn't look dated at all.
  • Nice cockpit – even with the stock Bose cassette/CD unit, I think the cockpit with the backlit gauges, etc. still looks very high tech. And I love the old school odometer vs. the electronic read outs of the newer cars
  • Beautiful leather (if you have it) – not the simulated leather with the perforated holes I see in newer cars
  • Really nice door panels with padded vinyl and leather inserts – have you seen the hard plastic panels on new cars these days?
  • Real glass headlights! – no plastic headlights that you have to worry about yellowing and refurbishing with all these polishing kits on the market!
  • Nice spoiler on the SE model – not something that looks like an afterthought on newer cars
  • Quality plush carpeting – not the economy carpeting I see now
  • Of course the 3.0 L V6 engine – not an underpowered 4 cylinder or gas guzzling 8 cylinder. Just right!
  • Easy to maintain – simple accessible spin-on oil filter vs. hidden cartridge style popular now that is hard to get at and remove
  • Electric antenna - The fact that it is so retro makes it all the more cool to me.
  • Windows that lower using the remote - now admittedly I probably have used this feature twice in 21 years, but is there any other car out there that can do this?
  • Reasonably sized bumper covers - have you seen these monster rear bumper covers on new cars? We have real steel where others have plastic now.