4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Possibly immobilised, no stereo, no clock.

Old 12-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Possibly immobilised, no stereo, no clock.

G'day all,

I recently had my 99 a32 maxima stolen but was lucky enough to recover the car with minimal damage (broken quarter glass and smashed ignition lock.) I replaced the window pretty quickly and went about trying to track down a second hand ignition module to keep costs down, during this period I was using a scre driver as a key as my original was damaging the rotor. I managed, late last week, to acquire a barrel and steering lock assy from a local pick a part yard off a 96 maxima which i got rekeyed by a locksmith and installed. This is when the problem started.

THe locksmith was able to start the car, then shut it down, handed me the key and took my money. I then went to move on out and go home but found, to my disappointment that the stereo and clock were inoperable. after checking all my fuses I concluded that the problem was deeper and resigned to heading home without music. SHOCK! when i tried to start the vehicle i got a lot of cranking and no start. Since then I have discovered that the 99 was the only one which has the immobiliser and therefore the new barrel does not have an antennae amp for communicating with the NATS unit.

So questions:

Are the clock and radio issues associated with the immobiliser?
Can I somehow create an antennae to connect to the NATS unit as I can't seem to find one anywhere (Without paying $500 for a replacement ignition unit ex japan [3 week wait]) so my key can be communicated with?
Why didn't the immobiliser kick in for the previous four weeks of running the car with a screwdriver?
has anybody managed to bypass the immobiliser?

Any advice appreciated, I just want to get to family christmas but it's 400km away.

Cheers
Simeon

EDIT: Should probably note: It's an Auto

Last edited by Wildone; 12-21-2016 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wildone
G'day all,

Are the clock and radio issues associated with the immobiliser?
Can I somehow create an antennae to connect to the NATS unit as I can't seem to find one anywhere (Without paying $500 for a replacement ignition unit ex japan [3 week wait]) so my key can be communicated with?
Why didn't the immobiliser kick in for the previous four weeks of running the car with a screwdriver?
has anybody managed to bypass the immobiliser?

Any advice appreciated, I just want to get to family christmas but it's 400km away.

Cheers
Simeon

EDIT: Should probably note: It's an Auto
Bypassing the immobilizer requires changing the ECU to a pre-immobilizer model. There will be some wiring pin changes to make an older ECU work with a 99 model. There are some threads on ECU wiring harness pin changes required to run an older model ECU. Just search the 4th gen section for "ECU harness pinout" and you will see the threads on this topic.

Was you key in your pocket or near enough to the chip key antenna on the steering column for it to read your key while you were using the screwdriver?

If yes, that may be the reason it was able to start by using a screwdriver.

Is the security light solid red like this picture?

Name:  e029b0fd-6040-463c-bf7e-a07d010fcc29_zpsvocibhjj.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  4.5 KB

If the car has been immobilized and you still have the original key, you can get NATS and keys reprogrammed by a dealer to clear the immobilizer.

You might try disconnecting the battery overnight to see if NATS will forget about the incident and let you start the car. I think I got lucky one time using that approach when I accidentally caused the security light to come on.

Basically, NATS shuts down your fuel system. If NATS has been tripped, there is no way to make the car run without a reset or ECU change.

There is a link in my signature line about 99 models, immobilization, and how to avoid it. I have two 99 models and I've had both reprogrammed by the dealer. In my area it costs $250 + the tow charge to get the car to the dealer.

Check your fuse box for blown fuses associated with the clock and radio. See the following thread about the ELEC PARTS fuse that will cause the clock to stop working.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ry-solved.html
Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bypassing the immobilizer requires changing the ECU to a pre-immobilizer model. There will be some wiring pin changes to make an older ECU work with a 99 model.
Sounds like a prime candidate for a last resort to me.

The key was in the vehicle (normally center console or drivers door handle hole thing) while I was using it but not while the vehicle was being stolen. The security light, from memory, was off for the entire time we were mucking with it. unfortunately I can't check as it is with the car back at the locksmiths.

I will be heading back this afternoon to try a bit more tinkering and can update on the status of the security light then. As it stands i'm going to get the locksmith to try reprograming (he has the gear and feels a bit guilty I think because the car worked sweet until he touched it) then move on from there.

Without the antennae amp connected (I can't locate the old one) is it possible the car will still pick up a key?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

LOCK MODE FUNCTION
When the starting operation is carried out five or more
times consecutively under the following conditions, IVIS
(NATS) will shift the mode to one which prevents the
engine from being started.
- Unregistered ignition key is used.
- IMMU or ECM’s malfunctioning.
So what this is saying is that you can start these cars five times with a screw driver before it will lock down?

Also you wouldn't have a picture of the antennae amp as shown in picture B below would you? Having a visual image of the component may be helpful in locating it.

Last edited by Wildone; 12-21-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:58 PM

Sorry I don't have a picture. I try to put my NATS adventures out of my mind. LOL..

Don't be disappointed if the locksmith comes back and says, I just can't communicate with the ECU through the OBDII port. Many locksmiths have software that will reprogram a fully functional OBDII based system like the 5th gen and later.

Since the 99 model was the first year for NATS, and the 4th gen only provides minimal OBDII functionality, only a select few locksmiths have software that will communicate with the ECU via the 14 pin consult port. I've used a Consult like product named NDS2 to reprogram a 5th gen. However, NDS2 will not work on a 4th gen and NDS1 has no capability to reprogram NATS. So I make sure I have a spare chip key handy and remind the 99 model's drivers to never try to start the car with the drivers door open as a few unsuccessful starting attempts with the drivers door open seems to set off NATS and the car becomes immobilized. I've "been there and done that" once enough already.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:56 AM

Seems NATS got me, anyone deal with a Nissan dealer in NNJ?
Old 08-16-2017, 04:29 PM
JvG

You are in 1995-1999 forum.

You will get better help from the 6th gen forum

Search this Thread