4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Short Throw shifter mod for 4th and 5th gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:52 AM

Short Throw shifter mod for 4th and 5th gen

This very simple mod consists of simply moving the nylon pivot ball up the shifter shaft to achieve more desirable shifter geometry.
This is the way Nissan should have made the 3.0 shift from the factory. It's free to do, and it shifts way better then those junk eBay short-throws. I've done this on my 4th gen, and now on my fiance's 5th gen. So I figured I'd make a little how-to video this time around.

Last edited by bryan163; 08-13-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Nice job Bryan! Not too drastic. I know a guy who cut off and re-threaded stock shifter rod. Though I didn't get to drive to car to see how it would shift.

Do you have any idea where we could get some of the white plastic linkage bushings with inserts? I've got one 5-MT where the rubber insert is all but gone. I've been thinking about buying a stick delrin plastic rod where the rod's OD would be the ID of the shifter mechanism where the bushing is located. Then I would bore out a hole just large enough for the bolt to run through it.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:51 AM

Thanks. I'd say cutting the shift lever shorter should shift great, but there wouldn't be much reduction in shifter throw because the fulcrum point remains in the same position relative to the shift linkage. This method actually extends the throw below the fulcrum in addition to lowering the shifter, the same way a good aftermarket short-throw is configured.

As for finding bushings, I've been seeing a lot of part-outs on my local Maxima Facebook groups.

Last edited by bryan163; 08-13-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:19 PM

Thanks. I agree about the short-throw configuration.

I might find some replacement bushings that could be modded to work through the z32 community. Here's a picture of a z32 setup with a bronze bushing.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:52 PM

There is another mod for this that is done under the hood where the linkage connects to the transmission (I think). Have to search for it. IIRC, it is an easier mod to do.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Thanks. I agree about the short-throw configuration.

I might find some replacement bushings that could be modded to work through the z32 community. Here's a picture of a z32 setup with a bronze bushing.

It does looks very similar to ours. When I scroll up to the picture in my first post, it looks like the inner diameters might be different though. I think I might actually have a set of the bronze Z bushings at my shop. One of my friends tried them on his z32 and he ended up not liking them. So he went back to the stock bushing.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
There is another mod for this that is done under the hood where the linkage connects to the transmission (I think). Have to search for it. IIRC, it is an easier mod to do.
I'm interested to see how that would be done. It seems like it would be impossible on the linkage operated 5 speeds. Maybe it was on a cable operated 6 speed. That seems more doable.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by bryan163
I'm interested to see how that would be done. It seems like it would be impossible on the linkage operated 5 speeds. Maybe it was on a cable operated 6 speed. That seems more doable.
It looks like you are right. From the photo, it looks like a cable, not solid linkage. The car is a 2002 6 speed.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...arts-list.html
Old 08-16-2017, 06:45 PM

Today a set of z32 shifter bushings from Z1 Motorsports from my Monday order. I like their fast delivery.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/transm...gs-p-1874.html

I think I could make the bronze bushings work in a pinch. The bushing installed in the picture is just a little small. It does not fit tight inside the hole. I could use something like JB Weld to fill in the gap. The inner diameter for the bolt is perfect though. For the shifter end bushings, I would need to drill out the inner diameter then polish down the outer diameter to fit inside the inner diameter. Again, with some minor adjustments, I could make the bronze bushings work if I was in a pinch and had no alternative.