4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Axle seal dust cover doesn't fit new axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 03:36 PM

Axle seal dust cover doesn't fit new axle

So it seems like the shaft on the new axle was machined down very slightly more than the old one...

I had to kroil and then tap the old dust cover off with an improvised punch; now it doesn't quite fit the new axle.

It's really close to fitting... But the flange where the dust cover is supposed to go is probably 1/10th a mm too small, allowing the dust cover to slide over.

Loctite maybe? It's really close but I don't want the thing coming off..
Old 03-10-2017, 04:16 PM

Ok solved it...

Took the box end of a 12mm wrench and tapped it inside the dust cover with a hammer to expand the inner diameter of the dust cover.

Worked great!! I used a hammer and screwdriver to tap the slightly expanded cover onto the new axle. Should stay on just great, especially with a little road grime :P
Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 AM

Glad to see you made it work. Just for future .org reader reference, what brand of CV axles are you using? It will be good to know to know as a heads up.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by CS_AR
Glad to see you made it work. Just for future .org reader reference, what brand of CV axles are you using? It will be good to know to know as a heads up.
Cardone remanned. Is there anything else available these days?
Old 03-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Shrout1
Cardone remanned. Is there anything else available these days?
I wouldn't change axles that are already purchased and installed.

There is a thread about a type of CV axle that I've started using on lowered cars. that is made by Trackmotive/SurTrack. No complaints with installation. I've only been using them for less than a year. It will take 3 years to know if they last longer than the GSP axles that I replaced.

Our member KP11520 recently did some research into the company behind many brands that we purchase. I need to update the thread with KP's research. Somehow I think there are only three or four manufactures/re-builders behind all of the brands we see today. I think this includes the Nissan value line of CV axles as well.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...-cv-axles.html
Old 03-11-2017, 02:32 PM

I just ordered a passenger side SurTrack axle. I am really hoping it will not have vibration issues. It was between that and the Import Direct brand.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
I just ordered a passenger side SurTrack axle. I am really hoping it will not have vibration issues. It was between that and the Import Direct brand.
I'm learning that is like comparing a GMC vs. Chevy truck. There ain't much difference.

Buy where you can get the best price and warranty combination.

Anyway, I think you are in luck. I have the Import Direct on a car that has been lowered just over an inch. No issues so far. Though it will take years to know how they turn out. The outer boot material appears to be an improvement over the synthetic rubber that is used in the inner boot.

Now here's the SHOCKER that I learned from KP11520.

There is a company in China named Wohn Industrial Co. Ltd., that it turns out makes a number of the "higher priced" new CV axles that we see on the market.

Here's a link to the Wonh site.

http://www.wonhparts.com/products/?sort=1&id=4

Trackmotive

http://www.trakmotive.com/about-us/

About Trackmotive - Wonh is a leading aftermarket manufacturer of premium automotive parts, including the TrakMotive™ line of new, OE-specified replacement CV axles, ATV/UTV axles and window regulators.

For example, the part numbers for passenger side 4th gen CV axles all seem resemble the base Trackmotive part number.

Trackmotive NI-8147

https://trakmotive.mycarparts.net/pr...id=11110493592

--

SurTrack NI-8147

Amazon Amazon

--

Import Direct NI-8147

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1424&ppt=C0362

--

Cardone Select 666 147

https://www.cardone.com/Products/Pro...ductId=66-6147

--

Empire - USA Industries 80-4657

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....sn=376&jsn=376

http://usaind.com/catalog/electronic.html

And there are more..

Last edited by CS_AR; 03-11-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:46 PM

Just wanted to give an update to that Surtrack axle I ordered.

Found out during installation that one of the mounting holes was tapped too large from the manufacturer, so there was no thread for the bolt to secure to. That's going back tonight to RockAuto.

My mechanic had a GSP axle brought over from his supplier. Upon inspection he mentioned it looked identical to the Surtrack that I originally brought in. After install, there is no significant vibration upon acceleration. There are times where I can feel a little in the shifter during a left hand turn, but I cannot reproduce that 100% of the time. Overall, I am happy with how the GSP turned out. I am just upset that the QC on the Surtrack seemed lacking.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Just wanted to give an update to that Surtrack axle I ordered.

Found out during installation that one of the mounting holes was tapped too large from the manufacturer, so there was no thread for the bolt to secure to. That's going back tonight to RockAuto.

My mechanic had a GSP axle brought over from his supplier. Upon inspection he mentioned it looked identical to the Surtrack that I originally brought in. After install, there is no significant vibration upon acceleration. There are times where I can feel a little in the shifter during a left hand turn, but I cannot reproduce that 100% of the time. Overall, I am happy with how the GSP turned out. I am just upset that the QC on the Surtrack seemed lacking.
Sorry to hear the Surtrack didn't work out. I know it can be a pain. So far I've made all of my CV axle purchases from parts chains that have a couple of stores in my little town. Having a local supplier came in handy when I had to return some axles for replacement at Advance Auto a few years later.

I had GSP axles running for 3 and 5 years on two 4th gens and never experienced any noise or vibration issues. The only problem I had was the outer boots would start to split after 3 years, but never a noise problem.

The outer boots on GSP axles can be replaced with OEM boots if they give you trouble at some point.

Though I am a bit confused by the mechanic's indication that the GSP and Surtrack look identical.

What I am about to show is the GSP has a distinctive proprietary design for the inner tripod bearing short axle housing and inner boot.

Here's a picture of two new GSP axles below. You can see the inner boot and tripod bearing housing have dished out looking design. There are no OEM spec inner boots that will ever work with a GSP axle due to the proprietary "tringular shaped" tripod bearing housing area. Trust me on that because I took apart of new GSP axles to replace the boots with OEMs and found the design difference. Actually I have a new set of OEM boots in the workshop that I could not use on the GSP axles because of the difference.

You can see the flat side of the GSP inner triangle in picture below.

Name:  42_Finished_Product_zpsoiof2u63.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  239.4 KB

Here's a picture of the GSP triangular shaped housing for the tripod bearing.

Name:  27_Clean_Shaft_Housing_zpsvzjdakh6.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  301.0 KB

Here's a picture of a GSP tripod bearing. The bearing is quite normal looking.

Name:  28_End_Snap_Ring_zps5zvb9qz2.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  380.2 KB

Here's a picture of two Surtrack axles that are marketed as Import Direct and sold by O'Reilly auto. As you can see from the pictures the inner tripod bearing housing is round. The outer dimensions of the Surtrack inner housing follows the OEM spec and will allow OEM boots to be used if needed.

Name:  01_Import_Direct_CV_zpspr6kq7y1.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  1.40 MB

Name:  02_Import_Direct_CV_zpsixezeefx.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  229.1 KB

Bottom line - I would be surprised if you have any noise issues with the GSP. But in the future if a mechanic tells you that a Surtrack and GSP look identical, you can now point out the difference.

GSP's inner boot design is not a bad thing. It's just a different thing.

Last edited by CS_AR; 04-01-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:06 PM

Ah, I see what you mean. My guess is he was referencing the thickness of the axle shaft, as well as that ABS ring (?); didn't really get into too much detail on it. I am just glad that this one worked out. The minor random vibration still annoys me, but it's something I can live with. I will have to try to pick up a local Import Direct unit, rather than order online next time.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:18 PM

Ah, I see what you mean. My guess is he was referencing the thickness of the axle shaft, as well as that ABS ring (?); didn't really get into too much detail on it. I am just glad that this one worked out. The minor random vibration still annoys me, but it's something I can live with. I will have to try to pick up a local Import Direct unit, rather than order online next time.
Most likely and the fact that it would work without an issue is really all that matters.

It is getting harder and harder to get new parts that work the first time out unless someone buys OEM or a brand like Intermotor, that often costs as much or more than OEM. I've often wished that Intermotor offered CV axles. But then they would sell for over $500 each.. So I take my chances and wish for the best with ones that I can afford.