4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HEAVY stumbling on acceleration - no code

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 12:13 AM

I see your gas is low, did you fill up somewhere you usually don't ? I know this might sound crazy but water in the gas tank can cause problems like the one you had. They sell water remover at autozone for gas tanks. I filled up once a long time ago at a station and had symptoms like the one you described....has it rained a lot where you live before your last gas fill-up? Go get some fresh gas and the water remover its like 7 bucks. Good luck let us know when you figure it out . Also when you start it hit the gas at the same time and see if it starts, if that don't work see if your battery is low.

Last edited by BronxSleeperMax187; 03-30-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:36 AM

Looking for other causes is never a bad idea but in this case, based on the circumstances that led to the no start, there's really no Q (in my mind anyway) that your issue is specifically related to the MAF removal and re-installation and/or your attempts to start the car during or after the installation.

First thing I'd do, as suggested, is look into threads related to immobilization related to the NATS. If that doesn't pan out do some diagnostics and fundamental trouble shooting.

Do you have a scan tool? If so, run for codes with the KOEO.

Codes or no codes, disconnect the [-] battery terminal cable and bleed to e-system.

With the battery disconnected, unplug and replug the new MAF.

If that doesn't work, do it all again except install the old MAF.

See what happens.

Last edited by Turbobink; 03-30-2017 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
Put the new maf in and see what happens from there. I noticed you got 180k on the clock so the fuel injectors go bad around 160k depends in the car and owner. Infact find the problem and keep posting.
Just tested the new MAF last night; that's when the car started seriously misbehaving! Reinstalled the old one and it still doesn't start :P

Also, it was idling fine three days ago, so would the injectors have gone bad in that time?

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
I see your gas is low, did you fill up somewhere you usually don't ?
Thanks for the suggestion! I always fill up at the Wawa up the road from me - I gassed it up in January or February and haven't driven very much. It was idling fine on the fuel Monday, even drove it around the neighborhood. If all else fails I will definitely try to remove water from the fuel.

Originally Posted by Turbobink
First thing I'd do, as suggested, is look into threads related to immobilization related to the NATS. If that doesn't pan out do some diagnostics and fundamental trouble shooting.
Security light isn't red, but I will try it with my spare key. It certainly does seem to fit the bill there...

Do you have a scan tool? If so, run for codes with the KOEO.
Sadly I don't have any toys that cool. I just bought a $20 OBDII scanner for use with the Torque app and I was going to plug that in and give it a try.

Codes or no codes, disconnect the [-] battery terminal cable and bleed to e-system.
Forgive my relative noobness but I am unfamiliar with the meaning of "e-system"

With the battery disconnected, unplug and replug the new MAF.

If that doesn't work, do it all again except install the old MAF.
The videos I posted are both the new and old MAF. I uninstalled the old MAF and installed the new one. No joy. I reinstalled the old one, no joy. Each time I did this I disconnected the negative terminal (black) and then undid all the connectors. Once everything was back in place I reconnected the terminal.

Fuel + Air + Spark.

Could be NATS (Nissan Anti-Theft System) but there's no red light on the security panel. LED still blinks intermittently like normal.

Engine turns over / cranks when starting. No codes from coils lately. Seems like one or two failed coils would cause a rough idle but shouldn't keep the car from starting...

Fuel pump has only 5k miles (it was a cheap chinese one that Firestone put in, sadly), fuel filter was replaced on Sunday.

MAF could definitely be the issue, but would it keep the car from starting? Can I try to start the car with the MAF harness connector disconnected?

Would vacuum leaks cause issues with the airflow to the engine? Could my severely cranked blow-by hose be causing this?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:57 AM

Not the key. Tried both, no go. Security light looks normal.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:07 AM

Not that I'm giving up but can a manual be flat towed? Leaving on business for 6 weeks in the middle of April. If I can't get it by then I think I know the shop I want to take it to.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:22 AM

I found CS_AR's post about this. If the Cardone MAF is bad and your door was open and you tried three times to start it, you most likely are locked out by the NATS.

So now the old MAF won't work either.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post8984199

If this is the case, you have two options.....

Towed/flatbeded to dealer and get bent over.

Find a locksmith that also specializes in auto keys and can reprogram your system. They usually make house calls and are way more reasonable than the dealer, if you find the right ones.

This might help as well: http://forums.nicoclub.com/99-infini...m-t543802.html

Good luck! And don't you have enough headaches with IT? You're a glutton for punishment wanting to add old Maximas now. LOL

I'll never buy another Nissan. I had an 88 Maxima and this 99 SE-L and both have tortured me and bent me over with the cost of keeping them going "Because I've already invested so much" rational. Delusional. Never again! The second hundred K miles is beyond painful. Now I'm on the third hundred K and I know it's going to be a joy!

Next car.... an early 70's Dodge Dart. With a carburetor and points and distributor.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by KP11520
If the Cardone MAF is bad and your door was open and you tried three times to start it, you most likely are locked out by the NATS.
Door was closed each time! Haven't tried to start it with the door open. Shoot I buckled up cuz I figured I'd be driving it Also, I think I've tried to start it twice between undoing battery leads and swapping MAFs / cleaning it etc.

Would the security light be solid red?

If this is the case, you have two options.....

Towed/flatbeded to dealer and get bent over..
Dealer is an hour away :P

Find a locksmith that also specializes in auto keys and can reprogram your system. They usually make house calls and are way more reasonable than the dealer, if you find the right ones.
I'll have to look around! We're kind of in the boonies (kind of...) so I'll have to see if there's anyone.

I'll never buy another Nissan. I had an 88 Maxima and this 99 SE-L and both have tortured me and bent me over with the cost of keeping them going "Because I've already invested so much" rational. Delusional. Never again! The second hundred K miles is beyond painful. Now I'm on the third hundred K and I know it's going to be a joy!

Next car.... an early 70's Dodge Dart. With a carburetor and points and distributor.
Sheeeeit. I hear you.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Try starting the car with the MAF disconnected and report back. Just don't give it gas or will stall out.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Try starting the car with the MAF disconnected and report back. Just don't give it gas or will stall out.
Will do. Can't get to it til tomorrow.

I think that the ECU may have Alzheimer's. I say this because I saw these same symptoms last fall when I took the car out of town. It's the reason I replaced the fuel pump.

I had to get the car towed to Nissan and have my key programmed back into the ECU.

I don't think that the car is immobilized *yet* but I think that something caused the ECU to forget about my keys. I'd blame it on the key failing, but Nissan was able to reprogram the same exact keys back into the car and now *neither* key works.

When it failed last fall there was no warning; one moment the car was working - two minutes later the car wasn't working. Checked out of the hotel and blam, no start.

I think I have a bad MAF and a failing ECU. The ECU concerns me more because that sounds expensive and I'd have to get everything programmed again.

Sorry for my flood of text, just trying to get this figured.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:35 PM

The engine is catching but dying, right? I'd suspect a big vacuum leak. Are you sure you didn't knock loose a vacuum hose somewhere? Have you replaced the blow by hose (or at least taped it to try to stop any leaks)?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:49 PM

I don't think it would be the key because, I have a new key that's not programmed and the car will start and run than cutoff immediately with the nats light. I don't think it's the key.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by DBear
The engine is catching but dying, right? I'd suspect a big vacuum leak. Are you sure you didn't knock loose a vacuum hose somewhere? Have you replaced the blow by hose (or at least taped it to try to stop any leaks)?
The engine catches a little bit, yes. Haven't replaced the hose yet - new hose is on the way. I could stick some duct tape on it tomorrow night.

I don't think it would be the key because, I have a new key that's not programmed and the car will start and run than cutoff immediately with the nats light. I don't think it's the key.
Ok that's good to know. I'll hunt down the vacuum leak and report back.
Old 03-30-2017, 02:39 PM

You can find vacuum leaks by blowing smoke(either from a cigar or vape cigarette) into the throttle body from one of the hoses. When smoke appears in the engine bay, it will come from where the leak is. Its a cheap diagnostic tool.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by PH98I30
You can find vacuum leaks by blowing smoke(either from a cigar or vape cigarette) into the throttle body from one of the hoses. When smoke appears in the engine bay, it will come from where the leak is. Its a cheap diagnostic tool.
Thanks! I might need a smoke break after all this... Scotty Kilmer has a video on this technique too Is there a particularly good hose to try this on?

I also bought a spark plug ignition tester bulb. It won't tell me if the coil is going bad, but it will definitely tell me whether or not there is any spark at all (I.E. NATS). That should get in this weekend.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 PM

Not sure if the NATS impedes the spark. It definitely disables the fuel injector pulses. Maybe the fuel pump as well. But with no fuel injectors, the pump doesn't matter. Now we're talking extra Insurance.

These ECU's don't get Alzheimer's. Syphilis...That's right..... and when left untreated, destroys the brain. Yup, yer ECU gots an STD.

Next time you use someone's code reader, make sure you use a condom on the plug. You don't know where that reader's been!

Imagine what you can get from the ones at AZ!

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2017, 06:35 AM

Not sure if the NATS impedes the spark. It definitely disables the fuel injector pulses. Maybe the fuel pump as well. But with no fuel injectors, the pump doesn't matter. Now we're talking extra Insurance.
Ahh - thanks for the info! And here's me thinking it's the spark...

These ECU's don't get Alzheimer's. Syphilis...That's right..... and when left untreated, destroys the brain. Yup, yer ECU gots an STD.

Next time you use someone's code reader, make sure you use a condom on the plug. You don't know where that reader's been!

Imagine what you can get from the ones at AZ!

Good luck!
Lol you crack me up
Old 04-01-2017, 07:16 AM

Ok, taped crack on blow-by hose, disconnected MAF, no change.
  1. What are the symptoms of NATS kicking in?
  2. What are the symptoms of a bad ECU?
  3. What is the best option to replace an ECU?
  4. How much does a new / used ECU typically cost?
  5. Is there a scanner of some kind that could tell me what is going on in the ECU?
  6. How do I retrieve more diagnostic data from this car in its current state?
  7. What codes are typically thrown for a bad MAF?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:59 AM

Perhaps a first step should be to connect a scan tool and determine which, if any, DTCs are present.

Once the car tells you what's wrong, or can't cuz it's brain-dead, we'll know more.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:37 AM

Perhaps a first step should be to connect a scan tool and determine which, if any, DTCs are present.

Once the car tells you what's wrong, or can't cuz it's brain-dead, we'll know more.
p1320, p0325 with a pending p0325. Didn't have codes going into this, so I think they may have developed since I changed the MAF.

I'm going to attempt to use my multimeter to test the voltage getting to the coils... I'm a bit a of a kludge at it - still learning about electronics. Youtube to the rescue!
Old 04-01-2017, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Shrout1

Fuel: Pump whine can be heard (not in the video) when key is turned to accessory and I replaced the fuel filter in the start of this thread - new hose and all. Fuel pump has about 5k miles on it - it died last October.

Have you tested the fuel pressure yet? What brand pump did you install? Maybe that fuel pump has failed. When my OEM pump weakened out it stumbled around like crap.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:21 AM

I am leaning towards the coil like i have through out this whole thread. The p1320 code is an faulty ignition coil signal. The wires or coil are not getting any signal to the ecu. I would also check the ignition switch first. I would also look into the coil testing. What brand coils you have and plugs.

Last edited by vqmaxman; 04-01-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by jholley
Have you tested the fuel pressure yet? What brand pump did you install? Maybe that fuel pump has failed. When my OEM pump weakened out it stumbled around like crap.
I'm not thinking it's that - the pump whines when the car is put into accessory mode and I had a hard time depressurizing the system to change the filter. When I cut the old fuel line with the utility knife gas sprayed *everywhere* despite the fact that I had tried to run it out of fuel three times (fuse out for the pump, start the car). After replacing the fuel filter I took the car for a test drive - it still stumbled around, but it started, ran and idled.

I am leaning towards the coil like i have through out this whole thread. The p1320 code is an faulty ignition coil signal. The wires or coil are not getting any signal to the ecu. I would also check the ignition switch first. I would also look into the coil testing. What brand coils you have and plugs.
I'm prone to think ignition system at this point too, but I never got any cylinder misfire codes. The car started misbehaving last fall and has gotten progressively worse. Never a p030x code. I've had a bad coil before and I know what that feels like... Even with a bad coil the car would start. All six simultaneously and within the span of 3 days? I've replaced 3 coils with Autozone Duralast coils so far. Not sure if any of them are OEM or not. I believe that the coils are a part of this problem, but I'm not prone to blame them just yet. I'm also not looking to spend $500 on a set of new factory coils. I don't have any junkyards nearby either (not within an hour).
Old 04-01-2017, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Ok, taped crack on blow-by hose, disconnected MAF, no change.
  1. What are the symptoms of NATS kicking in?
  2. What are the symptoms of a bad ECU?
  3. What is the best option to replace an ECU?
  4. How much does a new / used ECU typically cost?
  5. Is there a scanner of some kind that could tell me what is going on in the ECU?
  6. How do I retrieve more diagnostic data from this car in its current state?
  7. What codes are typically thrown for a bad MAF?
To confirm, so you're saying you still have hard starts with the MAF disconnected? If so, that tells me your MAF is ok.

Why are we still talking about NATS? If the security light is not solid red while cranking, it's not a NATS problem.

I seriously doubt it's the ECU. People often point fingers at the ECU, but it never turns out to be the problem.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
To confirm, so you're saying you still have hard starts with the MAF disconnected? If so, that tells me your MAF is ok.

Why are we still talking about NATS? If the security light is not solid red while cranking, it's not a NATS problem.

I seriously doubt it's the ECU. People often point fingers at the ECU, but it never turns out to be the problem.
MAF disconnected, no start.

No security light while cranking.

You're probably right, it may not be the ECU. Everyone's prone to blame the software... lol.

I got out the multimeter - battery reads out 11.7v but terminal 1 on two of the front ignition coils shows no voltage when the ignition is in the "on" position. Will attach pictures momentarily.

Couldn't find the "ignition condensor" to disconnect it - that is mentioned in this youtube video that I used to test the voltage to the coils:

Last edited by Shrout1; 04-01-2017 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:28 PM

Ok pics of my test:

Battery @ 11.7 volts:

Probe pushed into terminal 1 with paperclip (probe was too thick)

Key in "on" position:

No voltage at terminal 1, grounded to the engine block:
Attached Thumbnails HEAVY stumbling on acceleration - no code-battery_test.jpg   HEAVY stumbling on acceleration - no code-ignition_voltage_test.png   HEAVY stumbling on acceleration - no code-positive_lead_terminal_1_paperclip.jpg   HEAVY stumbling on acceleration - no code-key_ignition_position.png  
Old 04-01-2017, 01:46 PM

Ignition switch? Suddenly?

Are there any fuses or relays that could cause this combo of symptoms?

Remember, before you go postal, give me a few days to get down there to swap out parts!

I'll bring you some good Pizza and Bagels!
Old 04-01-2017, 02:35 PM

[QUOTE=Shrout1;9143805]I'm not thinking it's that - the pump whines when the car is put into accessory mode and I had a hard time depressurizing the system to change the filter. When I cut the old fuel line with the utility knife gas sprayed *everywhere* despite the fact that I had tried to run it out of fuel three times (fuse out for the pump, start the car). After replacing the fuel filter I took the car for a test drive -

I am assuming your a 99 or a 99 SE-L. What smog are you cali/fed. I assume from looking at your pics your a fed spec. If your a 99 SE-L the coils are aftermarket sensitive. If the coils are Nissan oem they will work without a problem until the times up for them. The Mitsubishi and Hanshins are the only two oems provide. I don't remember if the Mitsu last longer than the Hans. I would put one of these two back and go from there. I have heard anything besides ngk plugs will give trouble.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Ignition switch? Suddenly?

Are there any fuses or relays that could cause this combo of symptoms?
That is a good thought and I will look at it! Any other method to help diagnose that? Engine cranks, but it could be a power issue...

Remember, before you go postal, give me a few days to get down there to swap out parts!

I'll bring you some good Pizza and Bagels!
Lol this car may only be worth a pizza and some bagels soon! You'll be the first to know, but you'll have to get here fast because it's probably going to end up in the bay lol. It's about half a mile but it might be worth the push...

The Mitsubishi and Hanshins are the only two oems provide... I would put one of these two back and go from there. I have heard anything besides ngk plugs will give trouble.
Thanks! Put 6 new NGK sparks in at 160k miles - 20k miles ago.

Also, even a Hanshin ignition coil won't spark if it's not getting any electricity.

I am assuming your a 99 or a 99 SE-L. What smog are you cali/fed.
I am indeed a 99 SE-L and I have a California smog system. If only I had a federal :P The cat is shot at this point, all sorts of codes about it.

Last edited by Shrout1; 04-01-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:27 PM

Further evidence that the coils aren't getting any power:

This coil hasn't thrown a code, so I don't think the coil is bad. I also held together all the contacts on this tester tool and had my friend turn the ignition one last time. No light - no electricity, no spark as far as I can tell.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:01 PM

if it's the as usual that red light will kick on and stay on at all times key in or out of the ignition. I am sure there could be a breakeage in the harness somewhere. It was a known cause to the 5th gens that the harness breaks where the harness mounts in on top of the car from the firewall side top strutmount side.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:14 PM

if it's the as usual that red light will kick on and stay on at all times key in or out of the ignition. I am sure there could be a breakeage in the harness somewhere. It was a known cause to the 5th gens that the harness breaks where the harness mounts in on top of the car from the firewall side top strutmount side.
Hmmm - what's involved with replacing that harness? Sounds painful lol

Could a bad ignition switch cause the engine to crank but no power be sent to the coils? I need to check the fuses still.

Last edited by Shrout1; 04-01-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:17 PM

Hey I also want to say THANK YOU to all you guys. Just the fact that all of you are returning to my miserable situation and trying to help me through means a lot. Thanks for taking the time to check in and comment - I really appreciate it. Wouldn't have gotten this far without you all.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Administrator

For the heck of it, check this thread, post #13 and report back.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9143859
Old 04-02-2017, 01:55 AM

I would check the fuse box and the fuses. I think if the fuse is blown that would also not allow current to flow through and if the harness is also broken that it won't allow the current to flow either.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:48 AM

Fuse #33 does not appear to be blown. Attached a picture. Have to go put the coils back together and then I'll test the spare.

Ok, so no change no start. I'll leave the spare fuse in the #33 position (7.5Amp) just so that we know it's not the problem. Further digging needed in the fuse box? I need to take a few minutes to research, so technically I'm just being lazy by asking Have to go clean up the kitchen from breakfast lol.
Attached Thumbnails HEAVY stumbling on acceleration - no code-img_8556.jpg  

Last edited by Shrout1; 04-02-2017 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:06 AM

Just bought an ignition switch as well from Amazon, should be in Tuesday. Vendor says it's OEM, hopefully it will be good quality.

Boredmder has a good video on swapping it, so I'll be trying this too.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 AM

Well, since the fuse isn't the problem, let's go to the next step downstream, towards what's controlling all the current to everything that reads zero.

Try swapping your ECM relay with one of the same ones next to it.

http://pics.livejournal.com/boredmde...862hd/s640x480

And why is it every time I try to paste a picture link for a picture to reside in the post, the App won't take it?

Last edited by KP11520; 04-02-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:06 AM
98 SE

Hmmm - what's involved with replacing that harness? Sounds painful lol

Could a bad ignition switch cause the engine to crank but no power be sent to the coils? I need to check the fuses still.
In a word, No. My experience with a bad ignition switch...turn the key and you get nothing. Like the battery is dead. There is no voltage going to the starter to crank it. That being said, I don't think you have an ignition switch problem since you have no problem cranking the car.

If you aren't getting power to one or more of the coils, continue chasing that lead. Relays, fuses and wires. Swap out fuses and relays with known good ones (already on the car). Check continuity of wires/harness to the coils.

Electrical gremlins are a *****. No disrespect but don't make it more complicated than it is. You don't need to chase down every new idea that gets presented (ie. bad ECU or ignition switch). Eliminate one potential root cause at a time before moving on to another, otherwise you are going to sink a lot of $ into just changing out parts.

Once again, good luck.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:26 AM

Silly question - which relay connects to the ECM and which one can I disconnect that's compatible but won't keep the car from starting?
Old 04-02-2017, 12:36 PM

You have several Relay boxes under the hood. The ECM relay is on the battery side. Just to break your balloons that extra little bit, it might be marked EGI on the cover of the box. I'm not 100% sure about that. My wife is at work with our 99 SE-L. Most likely a Blue colored Relay.

From what I remember, the different value Relays each have different colors.

Across the engine on the passenger side is another Relay box., Find one that controls something that won't affect starting. Maybe the AC one? I'm not sure. But if it is the same color, it just might work.

Without my car being here, I'm shooting in the dark, so proceed with caution and common sense!