4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sunroof tilt open only works

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 03:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sunroof tilt open only works

Hello,

I've tried resetting it manually as well as relearning it I don't nothing I've done so far has been working it won't slide open or closed shoot it won't even tilt closed the motors works when I tilt open but that's about all I get then I have to use a 5mm Allen to close it what a drag. Anyway any tips would be encouraged I'm really hoping I don't have to take the headliner down and I haven't been able to find the relay for it either.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:59 AM

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...f-problem.html

there's a thread about your exact problem. sounds like one guy fixed it with only a lot of lube
Old 03-23-2017, 04:34 PM

I'm not sure lube is the answer. I was thinking my switch was bad so I replaced it with another from a junkyard and am back to the same issue. Mine will always tilt up but will only sometimes tilt down, or slide in either direction. If I keep trying eventually the buttons work, but it can take a while. I have never closed it by hand, but I mostly avoid opening it unless I'm driving directly home and know it won't rain.

One time I tilted it up on my way to work, but then it got cloudy. I really wanted to close it, but the buttons would not respond (except tilt up). I found the wiring schematic in the FSM and tried to bypass the switch with a paperclip. While holding the paperclip between the two points I thought would signal it to close, I accidentally pressed the tilt up button. The sunroof immediately closed. I assumed this was some failsafe for a detected malfunction.

I think it must be something electrical. Maybe a pinch sensor. It reminds me a fix I saw for window motors in Firebirds and Camaros. There was a thermal resisitor that would wear out over time and cause the window motor to not work at all. Bypassing the resistor with a jumper wire allowed the motor to work again, but it would not stop if it encountered resistance. On my old Suburban with one touch open / close, if I closed the sunroof while on the highway, when the glass reached the wind deflector it would occasionally stop and back up instead of folding down the deflector because there was enough resistance from the wind to trigger the safety mechanism.

Now that I wrote all that... maybe lube is the answer. If it reduces the friction (resistance) it may alleviate the problem.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks vio and k

I'll definitely give it a shot I mean **** spent all day doing a ridiculous brake job that got worse and worse so now I'm driving to the shop with no brakes to get them bled yay... But the sunroof and air mix motor are definites for me

Last edited by Babymech; 03-23-2017 at 06:59 PM.