4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y Pipe Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 01:12 PM

Y Pipe Exhaust Leak

Long story short I have the cheap eBay's y pipe/headers (regret) I've already dumped money and time into moving the O2 sensor.

2 of the 3 studs broke that are bolts welded into the front header for the y pipe to tighten up with nuts. Muffler shop wants me to remove headers so they can put new studs in said they didn't have enough room. I really don't want to remove those headers again I just did coolant and i think the stock nuts for the headers were starting to strip

There's a healthy gap and exhaust leak between flanges with only one of three corners tightened, down how do I fix without removing header? This guy probably didn't even move the compressor, would there be enough space even between the engine block to weld?
Old 04-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Father of the 00 VI

those studs should be screwed in not welded. And cast iron doesn't weld very well. And wither you did the y-pipe or not, stock ones always rot off.

those studs always go bad also. No body should be welding ,they should be putting new studs in.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:48 PM

They are eBay aftermarkets the manzo header/y pipe set. They are bolts welded onto the header like studs
Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 PM
Father of the 00 VI

can they drill the studs out and put nuts and bolts in? or drill it out tap it and use bolts?

the ones i bought, are like that. They just threaded holes so a bolt can just be used.

Check this thread out second page shows the shorty headers bought they are 4 th gen headers.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...lean-up-2.html
Old 04-28-2017, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by krismax
can they drill the studs out and put nuts and bolts in? or drill it out tap it and use bolts?

the ones i bought, are like that. They just threaded holes so a bolt can just be used.

Check this thread out second page shows the shorty headers bought they are 4 th gen headers.

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...lean-up-2.html
Exactly like those except my studs are bolts welded in