4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

code 1493 - still a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:34 AM

code 1493 - still a problem

My 1998 Maxima SE has a persistent CEL :
P1493 EVAP Canister Purge Control Valve/Solenoid Valve Stuck Open

I replaced the indicated part with a new one, that I checked to make sure was in good working order before installing it. I continued to get the CEL for the same error code.

I bought a vacuum gauge, tested some parts and found no faults, re-set some hoses, and still no cure.

Latest action: bought a cheap smoke gizmo off Ebay and checked for leaks. With one exception, I saw no leaks at all under the hood or at the rear end with the car running or shut off.

The exception is shown in the attached photo of a port at the rear end. I got smoke coming out of there freely with the engine off or on.

Is that normal or does it indicate a fault somewhere?

Hope you can help.
Attached Thumbnails code 1493 - still a problem-smoke-port.jpg  
Old 08-18-2017, 05:18 AM

Although I had a different code, it turned out my evap problems stemmed from a clogged line. An old canister had allowed charcoal to clog up the line.

This post lists the conclusion and final action that resolved the problem. It may not be your problem, but I would check for charcoal in the lines.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9150080

Last edited by CS_AR; 08-18-2017 at 05:22 AM.