4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thinking of buying CAI upper piece, warpspeed = good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 10:48 PM

Thinking of buying CAI upper piece, warpspeed = good idea?

I know warpseed has superb service (they replied to my email in less than half a day, thanks Dallas *wink*) and great y-pipes.

I was thinking of buying just the CAI upper piece to replace the resonator thing, they quoted me at a very damn good price. BUT I want to know if their CAI's are as good as place racing? I've never really heard of anyone using their CAI's....anyone want to clue me in?

Also, do they have the infamous "temperature sensor" hole (for my 98) that I will need to plug?
Old 02-01-2002, 11:05 PM

Re: Thinking of buying CAI upper piece, warpspeed = good idea?

Originally posted by mozy
I know warpseed has superb service (they replied to my email in less than half a day, thanks Dallas *wink*) and great y-pipes.

I was thinking of buying just the CAI upper piece to replace the resonator thing, they quoted me at a very damn good price. BUT I want to know if their CAI's are as good as place racing? I've never really heard of anyone using their CAI's....anyone want to clue me in?

Also, do they have the infamous "temperature sensor" hole (for my 98) that I will need to plug?
the resonator replacement has three pieces sticking out and the temp sensor hole, the hole isnt really hard to deal with. you have a sensor, you have a rubber seating ring. take it out of the stock place and put it in the resonator section. it's not that hard, i don't know why people make such a fuss about it. If you have a resonator and an airbox, then there will be a slight growl-purr from 2200-3600. If you have a pop charger, then i don't know. I would recommend it. If it's just the resonator replacement, i'd say go for warpspeed. I got place racing because i wanted the pretty silver color, that's about all. good luck to you man. I'm sure you'll appreciate doing it.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:21 PM

May I ask why you want to replace the resonator area only? I have a pop charger but have always liked the cleaner appearance of the CAI since it removes the ugly resonator. I may wan't to do this myself. I don't know first hand which CAI is better, but they both look identical to me. Good luck and thanks for the idea. BTW, do you have a breather element on your engine or do you run both hoses to the resonator. I am thinking about getting the breather element.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:21 PM

warpspeed is actually very close to the same as PR CAI now that they offer it with a K&N filter. I have the PR CAI and I like it, but i had to buy one today, i would go with warpspeed since is cheaper and is basically the same thing.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:24 PM

Re: Re: Thinking of buying CAI upper piece, warpspeed = good idea?

Originally posted by Toolrocks

May I ask why you want to replace the resonator area only? I have a pop charger but have always liked the cleaner appearance of the CAI since it removes the ugly resonator. I may wan't to do this myself. I don't know first hand which CAI is better, but they both look identical to me. Good luck and thanks for the idea. BTW, do you have a breather element on your engine or do you run both hoses to the resonator. I am thinking about getting the breather element.
What's a breather element? This is the first time i've heard of one before.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Thinking of buying CAI upper piece, warpspeed = good idea?

Originally posted by Xtreme5053

its like a littler air-filter for your valve-cover. just for show.

Toolrocks: im replacing the resonator because I've been reading some threads (CAI related) and it seems like a good idea, im going to see if I get ANY of the low-end that I lost back. Also I dont want the full CAI because I dont want to drill a hole in the fender. I think ill go with warpspeed, ill see if they have a color-less upper piece.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Thinking of buying CAI upper piece, warpspeed = good idea?

Originally posted by Xtreme5053

I could be wrong about this but: there are two 3/4" hoses that go to the resonator behind the MAF. They are part of the PCV system. On the cylinder bank closest to the front of the car is one of the hoses and it connects from the cylinder bank to the resonator, then passes air throught the resonator and out the other tube that goes to the back cylinder bank where the PCV is. The breather element looks like a little pop charger and it goes on the front cylinder bank and attaches to the nipple that the 3/4" hose is attached to - I think you then plug up the other side where the hose connected at the resonator. I think it allows the crankcase gases to be either exited to fresh air, or it takes in fresh air. I'm not certain. Again I think it looks cleaner/sportier and I think I remember reading somewhere that it may add a whopping 1 lonely hp. Hope I answered your question. I'm going to do a search now.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking of buying CAI upper piece, warpspeed = good idea?

Originally posted by Toolrocks

I could be wrong about this but: there are two 3/4" hoses that go to the resonator behind the MAF. They are part of the PCV system. On the cylinder bank closest to the front of the car is one of the hoses and it connects from the cylinder bank to the resonator, then passes air throught the resonator and out the other tube that goes to the back cylinder bank where the PCV is. The breather element looks like a little pop charger and it goes on the front cylinder bank and attaches to the nipple that the 3/4" hose is attached to - I think you then plug up the other side where the hose connected at the resonator. I think it allows the crankcase gases to be either exited to fresh air, or it takes in fresh air. I'm not certain. Again I think it looks cleaner/sportier and I think I remember reading somewhere that it may add a whopping 1 lonely hp. Hope I answered your question. I'm going to do a search now.
both hoses need to be connected to the upper CAI. Specially the rear one since it controls your idle. I know this because when I installed mine I found that the factory hoses would no longer fit right. I tried to make them fit and the back one came off, my car died at every light until I figured it out. Went to the auto parts store and bought two longer hoses, and never had a problem since. BTW at our last max meet here in GA, a guy had done the hose replacement with clear hoses (kinda like the ones you use in a beer bong/funnel) and they looked good.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:47 PM

Question to you guys. Why don't you want to drill a hole in the fender? You can't see it at all. It is kind of a pain to drill out, but honestly why not reap all the benefits. I have a PR CAI, and I'm very satisfied with it. Warpspeed makes an identical one for a little bit cheaper and it's not really that difficult to install. Just wondering.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:12 AM

i dont want to drill a hole because if I ever sell the car in the future, I dont want that to be something that I have to explain. and I dont want to pay someone to do it because I know ill **** it up.
Old 02-02-2002, 11:43 AM

i dont want to drill a hole because if I ever sell the car in the future, I dont want that to be something that I have to explain. and I dont want to pay someone to do it because I know ill **** it up.
You cant see the hole unless you are looking for it. But whatever floats your boat or finds your lost remote!

DPW
Old 02-02-2002, 12:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Have you considered the Franken intake? I can't speak about it but you might do a search on that.