4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

About to trash my 1999

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KSSilence
I see you fixed your issue, but for future for everyone reference theres this:....

Protip: During cranking, if the Crank Sensor is sending a valid signal to the ECU, the Check Engine Light should go out if there are no other codes pending that turn the CEL on. If the CEL stays on during crank, then check for codes, and if none present (Knock Sensor codes don't count) then you should check the Crank Sensor.

The reason why the CEL behaves like this is because KOEO (Key on Engine off), the crank sensor isnt sending any signal back, so the ECU know's it present as its plugged in but it does not know if its working. Once the engine turns over and a valid signal is produced, the computer assumes its good and turns off the CEL. This is also why if the engine stalls out, the CEL comes on, because of the loss of CKP Signal. Because this situation is encountered every time you turn the key on, the ECU wont set a CKP code unless it is obviously missing (unplugged) or the circuit test fails (open circuit / broken wire).

That is great info. Filing it away for future use.