4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Dropping tranny, how to support motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 04:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dropping tranny, how to support motor?

Looking to drop the tranny on my part out car and it occurred to me that this may be a problem since the crossmember and front/rear motor mounts have been removed. Since the motor is currently sitting on the tranny motor mount and the pass side mount and ofc already sagging, Im afraid of removing the tranny and having the motor fall out of the car. Will the single side motor mount hold it up? I really dont care about the motor or the car's welfare, like if stuff gets bent up or whatever it doesnt bother me - i just dont want to get crushed or have the tranny get damaged while removing it.

Right now I think my best bet would be to prop the motor up using blocks/wood so I should be ok while doing the job itself - but will I have to worry about the motor falling out when I remove that support? Id like to avoid a total ****show of having that happen as the car is being dragged onto a flatbed if possible lol.

Any advice is appreciated, Ive never pulled a tranny before so the whole thing will be an adventure for sure.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:10 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I would not rely on only one mount to support the engine. If you had the cross member in you would be all set. Since you don't, one way is to support it from the bottom with a piece of wood under the upper oil pan and a jack stand. Or get creative and support it from above using metal tubing to bridge across the strut towers and securing the engine with chains.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:16 PM

dear god, please use chains and a jack stand as jsutter has said. don't rely on one crappy mount and a couple of 2x4's.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by JSutter
I would not rely on only one mount to support the engine. If you had the cross member in you would be all set. Since you don't, one way is to support it from the bottom with a piece of wood under the upper oil pan and a jack stand. Or get creative and support it from above using metal tubing to bridge across the strut towers and securing the engine with chains.
Im definitely going to support it from below with a cinderblock or two just to be safe but i was also considering running chain thru the strut tower opening to secure it from above. Using a bar and chain sounds like a better plan though.

Originally Posted by max ride 41
dear god, please use chains and a jack stand as jsutter has said. don't rely on one crappy mount and a couple of 2x4's.
Lmao i value all of my appendages quite dearly, im certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed but im not stupid enough to endanger myself by trusting a single motor mount with my life. Anytime i jack something up i always give it a good shake to make sure its nice and secure - the idea is that if it falls, then you probably just saved your own life. Better to be out time and money than to win the next Darwin Award. Just wanted to see if anyone had an easy solution is all.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Lmao i value all of my appendages quite dearly, im certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed but im not stupid enough to endanger myself by trusting a single motor mount with my life. Anytime i jack something up i always give it a good shake to make sure its nice and secure - the idea is that if it falls, then you probably just saved your own life. Better to be out time and money than to win the next Darwin Award. Just wanted to see if anyone had an easy solution is all.[/left][/QUOTE]

i figured that, just didn't want to see a story about how you lost a limb or worse rushing through it.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:35 PM

I used one of these Harbor Freight engine supports when we pulled the transmission on the 97 model.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:14 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by max ride 41

i figured that, just didn't want to see a story about how you lost a limb or worse rushing through it.
Thanks for looking out bruv. Sometimes things we take for granted as common sense go over other peoples heads. Always hits home when I hear about some poor kid crushed to death while working on their pride and joy. Lost count how many times Ive jacked my car up and forgot my jackstands in the toolshed and thought "screw it, ill only be under for a moment, nothing bads going to happen to me" only to shake that lazy idiot thought out of my head and go back and grab them.

Originally Posted by CS_AR
I used one of these Harbor Freight engine supports when we pulled the transmission on the 97 model.
I will never cease to be amazed at the amount of random job specific tools one would never know existed harbor freight has in their stores lol. Might pick one of these up if I cant find the beefy steel fence pipe I had laying around that conveniently vanished the second I find an actual use for it.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:53 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by CS_AR

How's the quality of that?
Old 04-15-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JSutter
How's the quality of that?
Not bad it does the job. My neighbor borrowed it.