4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension inspection - cracked rubber & leaks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:51 AM
What does that mean?

Suspension inspection - cracked rubber & leaks!

I decided to pull all four wheels off and inspect the suspension and steering components on my max. Thankfully all of the boots were good, and so was most of the rubber bushings. The exception was the front stabilizer bar (correct term?) they were cracked bad on both sides. How much of a job is it to replace these?

Right in the middle:

Name:  5BWXlmJ.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  59.8 KB

Also there appears to be a leak, but I couldn't tell what fluid as I couldn't get an identifiable smell from it, but it appeared to be on or from that cylinder right in the middle of the photo

Name:  ew9ppZl.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  54.8 KB

Here's the pattern in the wheel well

Name:  DXm2S37.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  30.5 KB

Did not appear to be from any boot (they're all good) or the oil filter, or any brake component (totally dry on the outside).
This is passenger side front.

Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2018, 12:18 PM

The sway bar links and bushings aren't difficult to replace, especially if you are also replacing the struts at the same time (the sway bar is easier to access with the strut removed, but can still be done even if you don't). The sway bar bushings come split. The split faces towards the front of the car.

I recommend Moog K9988 sway bar bushings (they are sold in pairs, so only buy one box) and Deeza NI-L639 sway bar links (sold individually).

My sway bar links were broken!

Old 05-29-2018, 03:35 PM

Holy crud that is alot of rust..
Old 05-29-2018, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
I decided to pull all four wheels off and inspect the suspension and steering components on my max. Thankfully all of the boots were good, and so was most of the rubber bushings. The exception was the front stabilizer bar (correct term?) they were cracked bad on both sides. How much of a job is it to replace these?

Right in the middle:

Also there appears to be a leak, but I couldn't tell what fluid as I couldn't get an identifiable smell from it, but it appeared to be on or from that cylinder right in the middle of the photo

Here's the pattern in the wheel well

Did not appear to be from any boot (they're all good) or the oil filter, or any brake component (totally dry on the outside).
This is passenger side front.

Thoughts?
It looks like fluid is being thrown around your wheel well (belts if you sprayed a bunch of belt fluid?) Or it's probably leaking down from the power steering resavoir

That just doesn't look like a leak to me by looking at the picture of the wheel well, it's so high up its not leaking from inside the fender unless there's holes there and in that case the only fluid above it is the power steering resavoir

Last edited by Violator; 05-29-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:11 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by Violator
It looks like fluid is being thrown around your wheel well (belts if you sprayed a bunch of belt fluid?) Or it's probably leaking down from the power steering resavoir

That just doesn't look like a leak to me by looking at the picture of the wheel well, it's so high up its not leaking from inside the fender unless there's holes there and in that case the only fluid above it is the power steering resavoir
You know I did have a power steering leak which was fixed last August, I suppose it's possible it's just remained there ever since? I'll scrub it off and see what happens.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:14 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by maximaxi
The sway bar links and bushings aren't difficult to replace, especially if you are also replacing the struts at the same time (the sway bar is easier to access with the strut removed, but can still be done even if you don't). The sway bar bushings come split. The split faces towards the front of the car.

I recommend Moog K9988 sway bar bushings (they are sold in pairs, so only buy one box) and Deeza NI-L639 sway bar links (sold individually).

My sway bar links were broken!

What would be the difference/advantage of Moog ones vs factory?
Old 05-29-2018, 05:22 PM

The Moog bushings cost much less than OEM and are just as good if not better.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 AM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by JoshG
Holy crud that is alot of rust..
Yeah I'm kind of feeling like having a rust converter party one of these weekends and just spraying it all down.