4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Easiest way to replace a trans pan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 05:26 PM

Easiest way to replace a trans pan?

After hitting a curb about a month ago my I30 has been decommissioned as my daily driver. The pan got completely crushed up into the valve body. Thinking it would be an easy job I purchased a pan and gasket. When I took the pan off (after bending the metal to expose the bolts) I soon noticed that the wires for the solenoids had been severed delaying my repair even longer. I went to the yard and pulled this part of a Maxima and then reassembled the valve body.

Today, I went to go put the pan on and I am having one heck of a time getting the gasket to stay in place when I bolt the pan on. What are some tips and tricks you have done to get this done?
Old 11-03-2018, 06:13 PM
Rit

Try Permatex #2 (I think) Gasket Cement. It is about the consistency of toothpaste, and will hold the gasket in place. In thinking, they have #2 and #4 (again I thinkl) and one acts as like a glue, and the other allows separation down the road. I would probably use the one that allows separation...just in case.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:18 PM

I used paperclips until I got all the bolts in place
Don't hate
Old 11-03-2018, 07:04 PM
JvG

Lube grease or axle grease will hold a gasket in place.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:05 AM

In different corners screw a few bolts halfway just to hold the pan up there. Don't use permatex on these bolts. Using a screwdriver get the rest of the bolt holes lined up with the gasket holes. Apply permatex to about 4 bolts at a time. Tighten them in place using only 7-9 lbs of torque. Too much torque will split the gasket. Take out those first bolts you screwed halfway and reinstall them with permatex applied.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Rit

Originally Posted by jholley
In different corners screw a few bolts halfway just to hold the pan up there. Don't use permatex on these bolts. Using a screwdriver get the rest of the bolt holes lined up with the gasket holes. Apply permatex to about 4 bolts at a time. Tighten them in place using only 7-9 lbs of torque. Too much torque will split the gasket. Take out those first bolts you screwed halfway and reinstall them with permatex applied.
The Permatex that I am referring to is spread on both sides of the gasket, and not put on the bolts. I have never seen anyone put Permatex on the actual bolts - maybe Loctite on the bolts, but I would only use the non-permanent Loctite.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:20 PM

The first time I did a trans pan the Napa guy told me to put just a dab permatex around the bolt heads. I did that and never had a leak.

Whether it was instrumental or not I'm unsure. But no leaks. And I've done it that way since then as well.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rit
The Permatex that I am referring to is spread on both sides of the gasket, and not put on the bolts. I have never seen anyone put Permatex on the actual bolts - maybe Loctite on the bolts, but I would only use the non-permanent Loctite.
Was referring to Permatex thread sealant. RTV isn't the only sealant they produce.

If you are using new bolts it won't be needed because they already have sealant applied. If reusing the used bolts then don't take a chance. Having very little tightening torque those tiny bolts will loosen over time.

Last edited by jholley; 11-04-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:57 PM
Rit

Was referring to Permatex thread sealant. RTV isn't the only sealant they produce.

If you are using new bolts it won't be needed because they already have sealant applied. If reusing the used bolts then don't take a chance. Having very little tightening torque those tiny bolts will loosen over time.
Yes, similar to my mention of Loctite, but OP was wondering about how to keep the gasket in place while mounting the T-pan.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Rit
Yes, similar to my mention of Loctite, but OP was wondering about how to keep the gasket in place while mounting the T-pan.
I dropped the AT pan several times and know hot to easily reinstall it.

In different corners screw a few bolts halfway just to hold the pan up there. Using a screwdriver get the rest of the bolt holes lined up with the gasket holes. Apply permatex to about 4 bolts at a time. Tighten them in place using only 7-9 lbs of torque. Too much torque will split the gasket. Take out those first bolts you screwed halfway and reinstall them with permatex applied.