4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what color wires go where?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 02:31 PM

what color wires go where?

I have replaced my head unit with a aftermarket one and all my bose speakers. What do i have to take out or what color wires do i use for positive and negative?
Old 02-04-2002, 04:34 PM

Try this site:
www.installdr.com
Old 02-04-2002, 04:35 PM

You should have gotten a wirering harness. These take about ten minutes to put together and are pretty much idiot proof. They hook directly up to the factory harneses. Kind of like plug-n-play. If you have any ??? give me an e-mail and I would be glad to help
Old 02-04-2002, 04:35 PM

Why not just spring a few more dollars and get the harnesses? You'll need two to be exact one for the unit and one for the antenna. It will save you a lot of trouble.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am in the process of gathering all the info to install a new HeadUnit for my Maxima as well.

The two harness are listed below;

Metra harness # 80-1763 Metra Brand,Nissan Head Unit Wiring Harness,
I've been told this one can be had at Best Buy

Metra adapter # 40NI10 Metra Brand, Nissan Head Unit Antenna Adapter
I've been told this one can be had at Circuit City

Hope this helps.

White96MaxSE
Old 02-04-2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by White96MaxSE
I am in the process of gathering all the info to install a new HeadUnit for my Maxima as well.

The two harness are listed below;

Metra harness # 80-1763 Metra Brand,Nissan Head Unit Wiring Harness,
I've been told this one can be had at Best Buy

Metra adapter # 40NI10 Metra Brand, Nissan Head Unit Antenna Adapter
I've been told this one can be had at Circuit City

Hope this helps.

White96MaxSE
That is correct you can get both of them from Circuit City.
Old 02-04-2002, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by Ravq
Try this site:
www.installdr.com
The site no longer has stuff for Nissan's.
Old 02-04-2002, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by 98BlaximaSE

The site no longer has stuff for Nissan's.
Then what's this? http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Nissan-Wiring.pdf
Old 02-04-2002, 07:32 PM

....I well I don't know I can't access anything under the nissan catagory, like on how to remove the old and install the new.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:45 PM

Some of the sections are still being updated. What exactly are you trying to do? I may be able to help. If you are just looking for some How2 on removing your existing system. Try http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax2.htm
Old 02-05-2002, 02:29 PM

what i am trying to do

i have bought a aftermarket deck and new components for up front and new speakers for the rear deck. Iam wanting to take out the bose system in the rear deck. there is 4 color wires that go with the factory bose system. I do not know what colors i need to use.??
Old 02-05-2002, 04:33 PM

Re: what i am trying to do

Originally posted by 97MaximaGLE
i have bought a aftermarket deck and new components for up front and new speakers for the rear deck. Iam wanting to take out the bose system in the rear deck. there is 4 color wires that go with the factory bose system. I do not know what colors i need to use.??
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly but if you are swapping out the head unit and speakers then you won't be using the factory wiring. You'll need to run new speaker wire.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:41 PM

Just FYI

Here's how to get to the rear speakers.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=rear+speakers
Old 02-05-2002, 05:52 PM

I went to Circuit City to check into the wiring harness and antenna adapter.

The guy at Circuit City raised a question I need answered.

Will the Antenna adapter that we are referring to from Metra (Part # 40NI10) retain the diversity antenna functionality of the dual antennas?

They told me I would lose that ability and I'm not sure.

TIA,

White96MaxSE
Old 02-05-2002, 05:58 PM

I went to Circuit City to check into the wiring harness and antenna adapter.

The guy at Circuit City raised a question I need answered.

Will the Antenna adapter that we are referring to from Metra (Part # 40NI10) retain the diversity antenna functionality of the dual antennas?

They told me I would lose that ability and I'm not sure.

TIA,

White96MaxSE
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by dual functionality but if you are referring to the antenna and the built in feature in the glass I have had no problems at all and I'm using the harnesses.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:37 PM

On the front of the BOSE Double DIN head Unit it says "FM Diversity"
and it is my understanding that the Head Unit? has electronics included that allows it to detect which of the two antennas (the automatic mast at the rear of the car or the one in the rear windows) is picking up the stronger signal and automatically switching to that antenna.

This makes it better at reception given changing conditions as you drive down the road then just a single antenna.

Do you think the aftermarket head units on the market today are able to utilize this dual antenna configuration, or maybe it is another electronic component prior to the head unit that performs this function?

It would be nice to know.

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 02-05-2002, 07:43 PM

I am no expert but I would think that today's aftermarket head units are superior to OEM units. Although I am sure not all of them support this FM diversity/dual functionality I still don't think the harness will interfere or somehow eliminate this function of the ?head unit?. I wouldn't worry about it too much because many people have successfully changed their head units and used the harnesses.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by Ravq
I am no expert but I would think that today's aftermarket head units are superior to OEM units. Although I am sure not all of them support this FM diversity/dual functionality I still don't think the harness will interfere or somehow eliminate this function of the ?head unit?. I wouldn't worry about it too much because many people have successfully changed their head units and used the harnesses.
I'd have to agree with you on each of those points!

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 02-06-2002, 05:21 PM

I went to Best Buy's Car Stereo location today and the installer there
told me that the window antenna would likely not be used in the aftermarket head unit.

I am looking at a couple of the Alpine Head Units for my car.

Anybody know anything more about the "FM diversity" feature built into the BOSE Head Unit?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 02-06-2002, 05:26 PM

That's good to know. I don't mean this in a bad way but I think you are being far too critical about this FM diversity. You won't lose any reception. I know I didn't.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:29 PM

If you really must find out try contacting someone at www.crutchfield.com maybe they can help.
Old 02-07-2002, 07:59 PM

Re: what i am trying to do

Originally posted by 97MaximaGLE
The Bose system has amplifiers built into the speakers. Two of the wires (which I believe are red and black) are power and ground for the amp on each speaker. The two thinner guage wires are the speaker leads that come from the radio. Use those for aftermarket speaker install. The other two wires will be unused as you will be eliminating the Blose amps and thus don't need to power them up.

Ryan
Old 02-07-2002, 08:03 PM

On the front of the BOSE Double DIN head Unit it says "FM Diversity"
and it is my understanding that the Head Unit? has electronics included that allows it to detect which of the two antennas (the automatic mast at the rear of the car or the one in the rear windows) is picking up the stronger signal and automatically switching to that antenna.

White96MaxSE
I installed a Kenwood P907 in my car and reception improved if anything. I install all day long (its my job) and have never experienced any reception losses when adding aftermarket headunits in Bose equipped Maximas regardless of what brand I installed.

Ryan
Old 02-08-2002, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by StaindMaxima

I installed a Kenwood P907 in my car and reception improved if anything. I install all day long (its my job) and have never experienced any reception losses when adding aftermarket headunits in Bose equipped Maximas regardless of what brand I installed.

Ryan

Thanks for your comments. I bought the Metra 40-NI10 Antenna Adapter today which says on the package that it is a Nissan Antenna Adapter cable. It says right on the blister pack that it is a "Nissan diversity antenna with 2 pin plug to universal radio plug".

It has a large jack with two pins in it (female) that probably accepts the male Nissan Diversity Antenna plug that is currently plugged into the back of the Bose Head Unit. On the other end it has two wires. One terminates with a male universal antenna plug and the other end terminates with a female universal antenna jack.

This all looks well and good.

Yep, Attention to Detail and Planning are part of my nature.

Thanks to everybody for your advice.

White96MaxSE
Old 02-08-2002, 10:22 PM

Thanks for your comments. I bought the Metra 40-NI10 Antenna Adapter today which says on the package that it is a Nissan Antenna Adapter cable. It says right on the blister pack that it is a "Nissan diversity antenna with 2 pin plug to universal radio plug".

It has a large jack with two pins in it (female) that probably accepts the male Nissan Diversity Antenna plug that is currently plugged into the back of the Bose Head Unit. On the other end it has two wires. One terminates with a male universal antenna plug and the other end terminates with a female universal antenna jack.

This all looks well and good.

Yep, Attention to Detail and Planning are part of my nature.

Thanks to everybody for your advice.

White96MaxSE
Nothing wrong with having an eye for detail. Hope it all works out.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:19 PM

Walmart sells the harness for $7 to $8 ... cheap!