4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Pas A Pillar drain working BUT water drips from top of A Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 02:24 PM

Pas A Pillar drain working BUT water drips from top of A Pillar

Front Passenger Moon Roof A-Pillar drain, drains fine, But water also drips between the top of the A-Pillar and where the headliner starts.

I've never messed with any of it so I didn't dislodge any drain tube unclogging it.

Anybody experience this before?

This require a headlinerectomy and reinstall? How much of a PITA is that?

Why do I get all the PITA stuff at the same time?

Any real life experience and what worked would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks Gents!

Yes the Mat is Very WET (freakin Rain 5 days a week lately)
Old 05-15-2019, 05:30 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I have not had to chase a leak. I have pulled headliners and sun roof assemblies.

You might have luck removing just enough to get a peek above the head liner. Remove the A pillar, grab handle, sun visors, and map light.

What I can't figure out is if the sun visor clips can be removed without breaking them.

To get it out of the car I may have gone over board with removing stuff...

Take out all the seats, rubber door trim, A, B, C pillars, grab handles, sun visors, and lighting. The headliner has some funky clips, some are like industrial hook and loop others are metal which hook in at a certain angle.

There was just enough room to pull it out a rear door.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:49 PM

JS,

You old enough to remember Dr Smith on the original Lost in Space series?

Ohhhh The Pain!

Thank you as always! Despite the pain. LOL

Originally Posted by JSutter
I have not had to chase a leak. I have pulled headliners and sun roof assemblies.

You might have luck removing just enough to get a peek above the head liner. Remove the A pillar, grab handle, sun visors, and map light.

What I can't figure out is if the sun visor clips can be removed without breaking them.

To get it out of the car I may have gone over board with removing stuff...

Take out all the seats, rubber door trim, A, B, C pillars, grab handles, sun visors, and lighting. The headliner has some funky clips, some are like industrial hook and loop others are metal which hook in at a certain angle.

There was just enough room to pull it out a rear door.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:17 PM
JvG

If you still have a leak, the tube might have clogged from above or below.

However, it's also possible that salt spray found its way through the steel tube which I assume is welded to the roof. Rust-through at that location would cause a leak. So give that area a look see while you areally exploring. Possibly some JB Weld and some paint might last quite a while.

I like the Dr Smith refference.

I had to replace the rear valve cover gasket recently.
I'm 6'3. Our car's engine in quite low. So Oh The Pain in my back muscles.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:48 PM

Thanks J!

I'm thinking along the lines of somehow rust rot. As I poured a liter of water into the rain gutter channel on the passenger side, it moved out quickly (Front drain tube wide open fast) and I was quickly standing in most of it, less what dripped on the mat.

I don't see screws for the A Pillar plastic cover. Can I legally use dynamite? LOL Please Please Please!

About your back.... I know this woman who has really STRONG hands as she's in NICE shape: A tall guy, a rear valve cover gasket success and a happy ending! LOL

Originally Posted by JvG
If you still have a leak, the tube might have clogged from above or below.

However, it's also possible that salt spray found its way through the steel tube which I assume is welded to the roof. Rust-through at that location would cause a leak. So give that area a look see while you areally exploring. Possibly some JB Weld and some paint might last quite a while.

I like the Dr Smith refference.

I had to replace the rear valve cover gasket recently.
I'm 6'3. Our car's engine in quite low. So Oh The Pain in my back muscles.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:34 PM
JvG

KP,

Since she is a forum member, I'm declining to comment.

My respect for tall female's who can keep her 4th Gen ride reliably.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:49 PM

So after JSutter's reality dose, I decided to Just do it! Sounds like a good idea for a sneaker commercial. Or a good time with someone attractive. Nuff said! (JvG)

Even though JS said to pull the seats and all 4 door rubber trim seals, I left them alone, removed everything and only slid the center pillars down far enough to not impede lowering the headliner. This headliner IMO was done brilliantly and metal backed. Only damage was one leg on the sun-visor holder clip, but the break was past the hook area that the screw will spread, so it should stay in like it was. (96409-15U02) Looks like Infinity might have some of their version at a dealer or two. Just not sure if it's the same color as our's. Cross that bridge when I get there. LOL

So.... This is what took 2+ hours to pull the headliner to find:

Thank you JS!

It wasn't going to fix itself ever and I wasn't happy with the musty smell of WET! SS hose clamps on all 4. Not getting hosed (literally) like this again....EVER!

Last edited by KP11520; 05-17-2019 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Add Picture
Old 05-17-2019, 07:35 AM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The hose fell off? So silly.

I'm glad you didn't go removing everything. I only did that to dye my liner and do some weight reduction but I digress.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 AM
JvG

Lucky you!

No rust.

Just your own labor.
Old 05-17-2019, 02:35 PM

See..... Now you guys got me started......

I have a bunch of this
Amazon Amazon
and I'm thinking about applying it to the underside of the roof sheet metal where there's enough clearance (80 mils thick). Nothing like luxury car quiet in a rattle trap LOL

Any of you guys do this?
Old 05-17-2019, 02:41 PM

The hose fell off? So silly.

I'm glad you didn't go removing everything. I only did that to dye my liner and do some weight reduction but I digress.

That will be after wrapping up from the top down. I have to replace the carpet. Gaping hole on driver's floor. And I'll put the Noico sound deadening under as well.

Now if I could only reupholster everything to BETTER than new with more luxury support... and ready for this..... supple leather. LOL I'll fix the drivers seat belt retraction setup while there as well.

20 years and I'm doing this now?
Old 05-18-2019, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
See..... Now you guys got me started......

I have a bunch of this https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadeni...gateway&sr=8-3 and I'm thinking about applying it to the underside of the roof sheet metal where there's enough clearance (80 mils thick). Nothing like luxury car quiet in a rattle trap LOL

Any of you guys do this?

AND, while I'm up there, anybody ever lube the motor and linkage? Mine squeals when it's opened up or down when it can't go any further.And it seems the glass is lower than the roof slightly when closed fully.

I'm all ears. Kinda like SETI.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:50 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by KP11520
AND, while I'm up there, anybody ever lube the motor and linkage? Mine squeals when it's opened up or down when it can't go any further.And it seems the glass is lower than the roof slightly when closed fully.

I'm all ears. Kinda like SETI.
One might clean off the old nasty grease and imbedded grit from the mechanism.

Replace with a proper grease.

I'd use white lithim grease. But I'll also claim ignorance regarding what the official greasee might be.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by JvG
One might clean off the old nasty grease and imbedded grit from the mechanism.

Replace with a proper grease.

I'd use white lithim grease. But I'll also claim ignorance regarding what the official greasee might be.
Looks like I'm going to have to drop the whole thing to have access toall the places is question. The grease that I can see looks more like a dark honey wheel bearing type grease, but dirty. But if I do, I can find out why the back of the moon roof seems to be somewhere around an 1/8" lower than the front. More fun and games, especially in Spring (rain) and maybe waiting for parts. I'm definitely going to have to refresh where they used contact cement to affix the headliner. Another BIG little job! LOL

Below is the drain hoses with CLAMPS. How could they leave these out? Underkill!

Old 05-18-2019, 08:37 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

You can add some shims to make the glass sit flush. Pretty simple fix.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:42 PM

Hey JS,

Do I need to pull the whole assembly or is there a way to do this in the car? And exactly where? Thanks!

You can add some shims to make the glass sit flush. Pretty simple fix.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:42 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Remove the black plastic trim on the shorts sides of the glass. They have plastic phillips screw fasteners. You'll see how the glass mounts, there may be shims in there already, just add more.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:31 PM

Remove the black plastic trim on the shorts sides of the glass. They have plastic phillips screw fasteners. You'll see how the glass mounts, there may be shims in there already, just add more.

Thank you! I'll investigate tomorrow!
Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM

So I investigated what JSutter was referring to about shims on the sun/moonroof. It seems the back drops a bit eventually and the car/wind noise increases as a result.

Here's a post from another site but for 5th Gens and is 100% applicable to our 4th Gens. Same shim too which are still available @ $7.50 each plus shipping.Used to be .65 cents.

https://www.my4dsc.com/fix-sunroof-w...5thgen-maxima/

I can't find anything on how to quiet the motor that squeals when reaching fully open, whether lifted in the back or slid all the way back.

Anybody? I have the headliner down and now's the time to do it!