4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gauge Cluster Lights, and other lighting Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 01:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Gauge Cluster Lights, and other lighting Qs

Hi,

I've been researching on lighting for a few hours, but I never really got any of my questions answered yet.

About the guage lights, I know that they're a 168/194 type. I want to get LEDs, but I know Clee and a few others have had an uneven distribution of light. BUT, I read a thread 3rd Gen forum, danny was his name I think, bought "really" expensive LEDs, and by the picture he provided, it came out really great. No hot spots or anything.

Has anyone had any experience with good LEDs yet? If so, which ones are they? If I don't really get a concrete answer on this, then I'll probably just get the 5W 168s, since I heard these do a pretty nice job lighting the dash also.

Secondly, I'm thinking about upgrading all of my lighting. I don't have fogs though (hopefully I will soon).

I'm really excited to see how the Osram SilverStars look. I've heard decent comments about it, but nothing in-depth yet. Anyone know?

If someone does have the SilverStars, what brand of 1157 (modded) would match it? (Clearance light)

Also, would upgrading the rear lights to new 1157s and 1156s improve overall visibility from behind? I love the way the red glows in the back at night, but it's just a tad bit dim.

Lastly, does anyone think it would look decent if instead of finding matching hyper-white bulbs for the front sidemarker and signal, I get yellow blubs and rewire them to stay on with the headlights? Would yellow actually look good? Or should I stick with amber, or white?

Thanks for any contributions on this thread.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:58 AM

I just ordered the SilverStars. I guess I'm gonna be one of the few who has em so far, eh?

If anyone has these, please give me some info as to which clearance light bulb (1157) will fit.

Thanks again.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:39 AM

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
I just ordered the SilverStars. I guess I'm gonna be one of the few who has em so far, eh?

If anyone has these, please give me some info as to which clearance light bulb (1157) will fit.

Thanks again.
I am liking my Solver Stars a lot. They are very white and really brighten up the road. Others in my car noticed the same. As for the clearance bulbs they are 1157 but if your looking for something even brighter you may want to check out 1156's. You will have to cut off one of the nubs on the bulb to make that work though. I just bought a pair of 1157's today that I am gonna stick in there soon. I figure by next week hopefully I will have brightened up with the following.

1. SilverStar Bulbs - Headlights 9004
2. PIAA Hyperwhites - Fog Lights H3
3. Clearence Lights - APC I think (all they had since it is illegal in my state to change those now) it was a 1157 bulb but 1156's can be used.
4. New blinker lights - Getting clear corners in the mail soon but think I might just stick with the orange bulb for now.

SuDZ
Old 02-05-2002, 12:15 PM

thanks for the reply SuDZ.

Yeah, I think I'm going with 1157 for the clearance lights. Should I use 21/5, or 35/5 watt version? I've had experience with APC bulbs from PepBoys...very inconsistent quality. I've returned at least 2 sets because they didn't light up the same brightness (the filament inside wasn't always straight).

Unless anyone else says anything, I'm gonna go with the trusted japanese quality Polarg bulbs.

I'm still wondering about having yellow signal/sidemarker lights instead of amber. Is that illegal? if not, does anyone know if it'll look good?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2002, 01:04 PM
www.autotalk.com

Go with PIAA extremes all the way. you wont regret it
Old 02-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My LEDs blew out after three months. That's a lot better than ny96max's record of a week and a half.

And the harness/bulb holder that I had my superwhites in showed slight burn marks when I took them out and the blue condom thingies were almost melted on. I had to peel them off the superwhites.

I took them out because I didn't feel safe with burnt bulb holders and needed a change from the superwhites. So I replaced them with regular wattage orange 194s. They look pretty good. I wish the orange was a little darker, but I'll take what I can get for now.

It sorta looks like a Bimmer's gauge cluster... sorta.

But up until Sunday afternoon, I was driving around with no tach and no temp gauge for about a month because I was too lazy to take out my gauge cluster. So right now, I don't care about looking good. I just wanna see my tach! Heh heh ... so I'm going to wait until spring/summer to start experimenting with my gauge cluster again.

I'll take pics when I get home.
Old 02-05-2002, 01:26 PM

thanks for the reply SuDZ.

Yeah, I think I'm going with 1157 for the clearance lights. Should I use 21/5, or 35/5 watt version? I've had experience with APC bulbs from PepBoys...very inconsistent quality. I've returned at least 2 sets because they didn't light up the same brightness (the filament inside wasn't always straight).

Unless anyone else says anything, I'm gonna go with the trusted japanese quality Polarg bulbs.

I'm still wondering about having yellow signal/sidemarker lights instead of amber. Is that illegal? if not, does anyone know if it'll look good?

Thanks
Well I think stock we are at 27/5 or something like that. So you could go for the 35 if you wanted to push it a bit. It will be brighter but let me recommend you upgrade your fuse. I think it is like 7 amps. Just stick in like a 10 or so and that should cover you for the new power draw.

Yeah I am curious how they APC lights are gonna be. Where did you find the 1157's your looking at? Because if these dont work how I am expecting then I will return them and then get something better. I am big into looking for as little blue output as possible. So if those Polarg bulbs work out good for the corner lamps let me know.

SuDZ
Old 02-05-2002, 01:48 PM

I'll be sure to update you on them, SuDZ.

I'm still in debate whether to get the 35W or 21W 1157 Polargs. Has anyone had experience with either? I really don't want these bulbs outshining my new SilverStars I'm waiting for.

And everyone, thanks for all of your replies. Appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2002, 03:48 PM

I'll be sure to update you on them, SuDZ.

I'm still in debate whether to get the 35W or 21W 1157 Polargs. Has anyone had experience with either? I really don't want these bulbs outshining my new SilverStars I'm waiting for.

And everyone, thanks for all of your replies. Appreciate it.
Personally I would just grab the 21's. I mean these dont really brighten up the road in front of you enough so it is meant for a set of high beams. Just matches the head lights better. Also with the 21W your not going over the factory rating of 27W.

So personally play it a little safe and go 21W.

SuDZ
Old 02-05-2002, 03:57 PM

thanks again.

Now, my last debate before I submit my order...

Should I get the PIAA Xtreme 1157, or Polarg 21/5W 1157?

I have both on my order right now, but if someone can convince me which is more white (least amount of blue) then I'll get that one for sure. And hey, you'll help a brother out and save me at least $12 either way.
Old 02-05-2002, 04:09 PM

thanks again.

Now, my last debate before I submit my order...

Should I get the PIAA Xtreme 1157, or Polarg 21/5W 1157?

I have both on my order right now, but if someone can convince me which is more white (least amount of blue) then I'll get that one for sure. And hey, you'll help a brother out and save me at least $12 either way.

Ok this gives you an idea of how white the PIAA lights will be. I am trying to find out where on this chart the polarg lights fall but cannot find a kelvin number or a scale like this for them. Hope it helps in the meantime.

SuDZ
Old 02-06-2002, 12:36 PM

Hey when you actually try to swap the bulbs in the corner let me know how they went. I havent looked in my Chiltons manual yet but the guy at the store said on some cars it can be tough.

SuDZ
Old 02-06-2002, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by SuDZ
Hey when you actually try to swap the bulbs in the corner let me know how they went. I havent looked in my Chiltons manual yet but the guy at the store said on some cars it can be tough.

SuDZ
Hey I've already done it at least three times. It's pretty easy. A tip though: Be careful when you use the screwdriver to pry off the clearance lense from it's socket joint. And don't forget about the screw on top
Old 02-06-2002, 03:21 PM

Cool. So you basicly just unscrew the top then pry it off?

SuDZ
Old 02-06-2002, 04:04 PM

Yeah. But when you pry it off with a flathead screwdriver, be sure to stick it in pretty well to get a decent amount of controlled leverage. Be sure the screwdriver isn't in contact with the plastic outside housing (clear), or else you might risk cracking it. (I did a little, that's why I know