4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1995 GLE Bose radio display only works sometimes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:20 PM

1995 GLE Bose radio display only works sometimes?

Hi all, I looked around to find a similar post to mine, but couldn't. I have a 1995 GLE, and the problem I'm having is my radio display only works sometimes. This issue is in conjunction with the fact that when it does work, if i have the radio off, I get a constant "CD ERROR" (could also be DISK ERROR, I don't really remember) message on the screen. It seems to be completely random as to when it does and doesn't work. Most of the time the LED panel is just blank. I've seen it turn from on to off before, and it's not an instant "off", it sort of quickly fades away, like I am turning the dial to lower the dash light brightness. Does anyone know of a fix to this? I assume replacement is the only way to go, but on that topic: how difficult is it to install an android tablet into the console, to give me Bluetooth and touchscreen capabilities? Thanks for any and all replies, have a great day!
Old 02-13-2020, 02:29 PM

I had this problem on mine when I first got the car back in 2012, I just ended up getting an aftermarket single din radio. Nowadays there are so many features it provides and not that difficult to install.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:23 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by TwistedFish
Hi all, I looked around to find a similar post to mine, but couldn't. I have a 1995 GLE, and the problem I'm having is my radio display only works sometimes. This issue is in conjunction with the fact that when it does work, if i have the radio off, I get a constant "CD ERROR" (could also be DISK ERROR, I don't really remember) message on the screen. It seems to be completely random as to when it does and doesn't work. Most of the time the LED panel is just blank. I've seen it turn from on to off before, and it's not an instant "off", it sort of quickly fades away, like I am turning the dial to lower the dash light brightness. Does anyone know of a fix to this? I assume replacement is the only way to go, but on that topic: how difficult is it to install an android tablet into the console, to give me Bluetooth and touchscreen capabilities? Thanks for any and all replies, have a great day!
Everything you need to know is here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151215...bose/bose.html

specifically the link in that link called **Fixes** which goes here: https://web.archive.org/web/20151215...ose/fixes.html

I used these steps to fix my display and its been good for over a year now.
Old 02-27-2020, 05:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose intermittent problems

My 1997 Bose system started doing this many years ago. Over the years I removed it multiple times and soldered bad connections and cleaned bad interboard connectors.

It grew to much to try and keep it going so I replaced it. It slowly was losing functions.

I would humbly recommend a replacement with a good head unit with preamp outs so you do not have to bypass the Bose amps that are built into the speakers.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:56 AM

As DizzyEdge referenced, there are several resistors in the Bose head unit that fail. In that link, it references Factory Car Stereo Repair for instructions on how to remove the head unit. They also repair Bose units. Several years ago I sent in my Bose unit because the display went completely off although I could still change stations, etc. They replaced the problematic resistor as well as other ones known to fail and did a great job and it has been problem-free for years now. If you are interested in getting yours repaired and don't want to attempt it yourself, I recommend them.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose unit repair

Originally Posted by Will92
As DizzyEdge referenced, there are several resistors in the Bose head unit that fail. In that link, it references Factory Car Stereo Repair for instructions on how to remove the head unit. They also repair Bose units. Several years ago I sent in my Bose unit because the display went completely off although I could still change stations, etc. They replaced the problematic resistor as well as other ones known to fail and did a great job and it has been problem-free for years now. If you are interested in getting yours repaired and don't want to attempt it yourself, I recommend them.
I pulled it out so many times to fix it it was not worth it eventually. It was replaced by a 2013 Rogue unit I bought for $5.00. It is working great and I have an aux input now!
The Bose was recycled.

BTW I am an electronics tech..for forty plus years so you know I must have been pretty fed up with the Bose unit.. Clarion made it and it was never very reliable to begin with.

I had a 1992 Pathfinder with a Hitachi radio/tape player. That was the best FM radio I have ever seen in a car. Nissan switched to Clarion and the rest is (downhill) history.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:43 PM
What does that mean?

This thread has options for replacing the head unit while using the existing speakers/speaker amps
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...e-problem.html

And this posting there talks about and has links to using a Pathfinder head unit that is compatible with some minor modifiication
https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...ml#post9060162
Old 03-02-2020, 12:46 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by sparkyboyfixer
My 1997 Bose system started doing this many years ago. Over the years I removed it multiple times and soldered bad connections and cleaned bad interboard connectors.

It grew to much to try and keep it going so I replaced it. It slowly was losing functions.

I would humbly recommend a replacement with a good head unit with preamp outs so you do not have to bypass the Bose amps that are built into the speakers.
In my particular case all of the resisters still worked but the solder joints had failed. Luckily I suck at soldering so my giant glob of solder I replaced the failed joints with will never fail