4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

99 Maxima gas from exhaust and running a bit rough.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 08:18 PM

99 Maxima gas from exhaust and running a bit rough.

I took my girl's Maxima to work today and on the way back it started to run roughly and smelled of gas when stopped. When I got home I noticed that there are pulses of white exhaust that smell like gas and a little bit of gas will pool near the exhaust tip on the floor.

No check engine light, but pulled a pending misfire code p0300 from when I saw it flash getting on the freeway.

I unplugged the injectors while the car was on cause I thought they were the coils, it's been a long week, and only one didn't lower the idle when unclipped from the harness.

When I realized that those weren't the coils after a nap, I pulled the coil and plug near that injector. The plug was a bit wet and black. The one right next to it was dry and brown.

I swapped the coils and plugs with the ones right next to it and in the same spot the different plug was wet again.

Does this mean that the injector right there is bad? I had read in some prior post that there is possibly a faulty o-ring that could be replaced or should I buy a new injector?

Also, I broke the rubber pieces that go onto the spark plugs from the bottom of the coils. Super glue should be fine to keep it together?
Old 02-20-2020, 08:38 PM
JvG

You have all the signs of a bad injector . You also identified which one.

is it on on the side near the radiator or the fire wall.

There is a plastic cap at the end of the injector. It cracks when it gets old. The cure is to have it rebuilt, or replace it.

You also need O rings if they are not in the box with the injector.

put engine oil on the injector O rings.
failure to oil them will rip the O ring. Then you would need to do it again.

Last edited by JvG; 02-20-2020 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Definitely sounds like a bad injector. Rather than repeating myself and typing it all over again, read through my posts in the thread below for advice and recommendations on how to install injectors properly.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...tor-issue.html

Old 02-21-2020, 04:21 AM

Injector x 3
Old 02-21-2020, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by JvG
You have all the signs of a bad injector . You also identified which one.

is it on on the side near the radiator or the fire wall.

There is a plastic cap at the end of the injector. It cracks when it gets old. The cure is to have it rebuilt, or replace it.

You also need O rings if they are not in the box with the injector.

put engine oil on the injector O rings.
failure to oil them will rip the O ring. Then you would need to do it again.
It is on the radiator side far left if you are facing the front of the car.

Are there any injectors to avoid? Never bought them before, OEM only or will something at AutoZone last?
Old 02-21-2020, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
Definitely sounds like a bad injector. Rather than repeating myself and typing it all over again, read through my posts in the thread below for advice and recommendations on how to install injectors properly.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...tor-issue.html
Greatly appreciated, will do.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:11 PM

I removed the suspect injector and noticed that it was missing a yellow plastic tip compared to the one next to it. I saw it hanging inside but it fell in.

Should I be worried, tried to fish it out with a chopstick and tape to no avail?

Last edited by Kakashi; 02-21-2020 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kakashi
I removed the suspect injector and noticed that it was missing a yellow plastic tip compared to the one next to it. I saw it hanging inside but it fell in.

Should I be worried, tried to fish it out with a chopstick and tape to no avail?
Youre talking about the pintle cap.

The self destruction of that piece is a typical, if not the primary, cause of our injector failures.

The broken fragments nearly always just end up remaining in the bore and get burned up with ignition/combustion.

Provided the piece that dropped in doesn’t interfere with proper installation of a new/rebuilt injector, you shouldn’t have an issue.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:08 PM
Rit

Myself, I would probably take a shop vac, and then take a small hose with a big enough ID to fit the pintle cap, and then pull the spark plug, and fuel injector, and try to suck it out. But, I tend to be **** over the little things !
Old 02-22-2020, 12:18 PM
JvG

Originally Posted by Rit
Myself, I would probably take a shop vac, and then take a small hose with a big enough ID to fit the pintle cap, and then pull the spark plug, and fuel injector, and try to suck it out. But, I tend to be **** over the little things !
I have used compressed air and a small nozzle meant for blowing for that kind of thing. I held it at an angle into the spark plug hole. That creates turbulence inside the cylinder.

one time I needed to use a tap to restore a cross threaded spark plug hole. I could see small aluminum chips coming out.

Most members have found that their pintel caps have missing pieces. The plastic bits get burnt up along with the gasoline mix at very high temperatures. Harmless.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:31 AM

I grabbed a fuel injector off of another car and it has mostly smoothed everything out. On start up there was a huge cloud of smoke for like 10 mins lol thanks to that cap.

I used the torque app and the idle has small fluctuations that remind me of my RX-8. I remember plugging into the Maxima before and it was 100% stable @ 750 or 850. I will replace that spark plug that was black.

Are your idles super stable?

It is normal for the idle speed to drop to 650 for reverse? It's an automatic btw.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:36 AM

^^^ I know absolutely nothing about your situation but I would urge you, if you’re able, to have your entire injector set rebuilt or replace them all with a full quality set.

I dont recall you indicating previously that you’ve had any injector work done on this vehicle.

You’ve lost one 21 year old pintle cap, I’d imagine that another/others will likely follow.

I think all of us have been here and would recommend the same.

Last edited by Turbobink; 02-24-2020 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:02 PM

At this point, every time another thread like this pops up again (often), I don't get why some don't recommend doing the WHOLE job and RIGHT. These cars are 21 years old at the youngest and mileage isn't the big problem anymore. Now we have to add age as it's especially hard on plastic and rubber. Meaning seals, grommets and all those plastic parts, especially those that are exposed to heat every time the car runs. When one injector goes, the rest are NOT far behind. So while in the areas, do everything that can fail so it's a one time in and out and Done for a VERY LONG TIME. The Wizard posted a thread that has a post from me with all that should be done if you're keeping the car and need the most important and valuable quality of an older car..... RELIABILITY.

Used your Girl's car and this happened.......

If things are good with her and you expect to be together for a while, just do the whole job right. Like Turbobink suggests. No better advice posted.

In fact everybody that starts one of these threads needs to hear this and then research the existing threads of the same subject that offer what a whole job entails over and over. It's ALL there if you look. These myopic incomplete threads are weak and sets up the thread starter for another failure down the road.

What do you get when you cross a sneaker and a 4th Gen Maxima?....A slogan that makes sense: Just Do It.... RIGHT! That's the difference of a good experience with an older car and endless trouble. And the Due Diligence research is a HUGE part of that.

If people don't have the time to send the injectors off to be rebuilt but want OEM rebuilts, motor man fuel injector supply has exactly that and "Maxima.org" used to work for a Promo Code on our kit. https://www.motormanfuelinjection.co...ssan/5G60.html

Last edited by KP11520; 02-23-2020 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:06 PM
JvG

Agree with all Turbobink and KP just wrote.

The original injectors are deteriorated on ALL 4th Gen Maxima and Infinii s now. They WILL leak sooner or later, if they aren't already doing so.

It's cheaper and easier in the long run to rebuild or replace ALL of them at the same time. Also clean and service the egr system and check the knock sensor while the intake manifold is off.

It makes sense to save up some cash and schedule some time to do this at your convenience . Otherwise the car WILL schedule one or several breakdowns at its convience for you.

This is a chronic issue now.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:14 PM

Had injector issues a year ago, replaced all 6 and no problems since then... Replace all 6 if u plan to keep the car, if not then don't do it, trust me.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:27 PM

Lol chill guys, I only grabbed an injector from the pick and pull and replaced that one injector to confirm that it was in fact an injector issue. I don't like wasting money on unnecessary parts, hence all the trouble shooting. You're assuming a lot, and venting I'm sure, but thanks anyhow.

I have already ordered refurbished OEM injectors from some guy on eBay, that might be the same selling in that link above and new ngk iridium plugs to replace them all especially the one fouled one. I've also ordered rebuild kits and plan to clean the original ones since the resistance is well within spec and they all open with a 9 volt battery.

My IACV and throttle body should be clean still and I spent previous time cutting the bolt to quickly access the EGR tube.

She's had this car for about 8 years now and it has never been to a mechanic since we've been together for 9 years and has 267,000 miles now. Sometimes some of the information is parsed in different threads and I try to avoid posting anything unless I wanted a second opinion since I am just a home mechanic. If anyone reads this later on I think we can all agree that all the injectors should be replaced. I've kept this car running and I kept my RX-8 alive with it's original engine going on 108,000 miles with strong compression numbers.

Anyway, I am grateful for your help and everything I learn here, I have been able to pass it along to others FWIW.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:50 PM

Chill?

Old 02-23-2020, 08:54 PM
JvG

You are going about this in a good way.

We get so many new members who we don't recognize here. Many with symptoms of injector issues. Most don't want to believe it's an injector.
especially the ones by the fire wall.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:31 AM

Regarding refurbed injectors off eBay... They are a crapshoot on quality, so be careful. I ordered a set and had RC Injectors balance and blueprint them, with the original condition being pretty bad. It's in another injector thread.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Regarding refurbed injectors off eBay... They are a crapshoot ...
Tru-Dat ...
Old 02-24-2020, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Regarding refurbed injectors off eBay... They are a crapshoot on quality, so be careful. I ordered a set and had RC Injectors balance and blueprint them, with the original condition being pretty bad. It's in another injector thread.
The injectors I had ordered on eBay are from the same guy as the link that was posted above, just purchased through eBay instead of his website. If people have had good experiences with him, then I feel a lot better about buying those.