4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

question about programming fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

question about programming fob

I've programmed several in my time but this 99 SEL will Not go I to program mode ... a couple things I noticed . 1. the security light seems to always blink except when keys on . door open , door closed . unlocked, locked. 2. driver's door light switch will not turn the door lights on when door was opened unless I hold it up hard.... I really want the fob to work but I'm tiring out.... tired about 100 times to put it in program mode Any help is much appreciated. thanks !
Old 04-05-2020, 01:11 PM

How fast is the security light blinking? It can blink at 2 different rates. It will blink approx once a second when the alarm IS NOT set and will do this until you start the engine. the other rate is once every 2.5 seconds when the alarm is set. In order for the alarm to be set, all the doors, the hood and the trunk have to be closed and locked.

So if the security light is blinking as you describe it sounds like it may be the 1 second, alarm is not set mode. But you say this is happening when the doors are locked, so the led should not blink at a 1 second rate. If the led is blinking at the 1 second rate, then the alarm is not being set. The key fob programming process needs the doors to be locked.

The BCM gets a signal from the driver door lock key cylinder signaling the doors are either locked or unlocked. My guess is that this is not happening. The door lock key cylinder gets wear and tear on it after years of use and the arm on the key cylinder doesn't move the distance it needs to. Sometimes it can be adjusted, sometimes it has to be replaced. As a test, roll the window down on the driver's door. Lock the car - this should set the alarm. Reach in through the window and open the door. The alarm will go off if the alarm was set. To stop the alarm, lock the doors from the outside of the car with the key (a working key fob would do it, too). But I don't think the alarm on your car will go off.

The dome light problem is a separate thing from the key bob programming thing and has no effect on it. If you remove the 2 screws holding the switch onto the door frame and pull it straight out, you will see that there is one wire on it. If you connect that wire to ground, the dome light will come on. In your case, either the switch has corrosion on it, which can be cleaned off, or the switch is worn so that the plunger part is not sliding in a straight line and preventing contact.