4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car wash story, need a new antenna

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 12:06 PM

car wash story, need a new antenna

I usually take my car to turtle wax to have the car manually washed/cleaned as opposed to the automatic machines. The car was getting really filthy of late and i didnt have time for a professional job, so i finally decided to hit up the local shell station for a car wash. being the absent-minded person that I frequently am, I left the radio on while i proceeded through the auto-wash. Long story short, the antenna bent backwards and after I tried to fix it, it snapped. Does anyone know where I can get one of these and how much they go for? I have a 97 max se and they only sell 89-94 antennas on ebay. i'll check a junkyard but any help you guys could give me would be appreciated. thanks

Teddo
Old 02-06-2002, 02:16 PM

First try an auto recycler then try www.car-part.com
I had to replace mine and found one at a recycler for $50 for the entire assembly not just the mast. If your motor is intact all you will need is the mast. If you want a brand new OEM try:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/
http://www.oem-car-parts.com/?nissan-accessories.com1
http://www.nissanautoparts.com/
http://www.brownandbrowntempe.com/parts_form.cgi
Old 02-06-2002, 04:19 PM

thanks

thanks that's a big help. i'll look into it immediately. its strange, my radio still works for some reason...

Teddo
Old 02-06-2002, 04:22 PM

Re: thanks

Originally posted by max425
thanks that's a big help. i'll look into it immediately. its strange, my radio still works for some reason...

Teddo
i am not absolutely sure but i don't think that a broken antenna would completely disable the radio, it might just be that your radio signals will be faded so you won't get quite as good reception...i could be wrong though
Old 02-06-2002, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Ravq
First try an auto recycler then try www.car-part.com
I had to replace mine and found one at a recycler for $50 for the entire assembly not just the mast. If your motor is intact all you will need is the mast. If you want a brand new OEM try:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/
http://www.oem-car-parts.com/?nissan-accessories.com1
http://www.nissanautoparts.com/
http://www.brownandbrowntempe.com/parts_form.cgi

Since the mast snapped and the motor still functions, I can just buy a new mast and somehow get the old one off I guess. Is the replacement procedure difficult? How would I go about getting the mast off of the cable? Thanks again for your help. Two of the sites you listed carried the parts I need relatively cheap. And by a auto recycler, do you mean a junk yard?

Teddo
Old 02-06-2002, 05:13 PM

Since the mast snapped and the motor still functions, I can just buy a new mast and somehow get the old one off I guess. Is the replacement procedure difficult? How would I go about getting the mast off of the cable? Thanks again for your help. Two of the sites you listed carried the parts I need relatively cheap. And by a auto recycler, do you mean a junk yard?

Teddo
Recycler is synonymous with junkyards. More specifically auto shops that sell "working" used parts. In your case a mast can be found useable at either. As for the procedure, it is slightly difficult getting the antenna assembly out from the trunk but once you have it out replacing the mast is relatively straightforward. I believe the hardest part is reinstalling the mast. Hard to explain without visuals but try a search I recall reading a thread or two about the installation.

I'll give you a brief install off the top of my head.
Step 1 unscrew the metal antenna ring from the portion on the fenderwell. Being careful not to scratch it. It was tough I used some pliers and a thick rag.
Step 2 Remove liner from that side of the trunk and I found it easier to access the antenna with the jack and it's mount removed. (2 nuts hold it in place)
Step 3 unscrew antenna assemly and remove 2 wiring harnesses attached to it
Step 4 Open and replace mast.
Step 5 Installation is opposite of removal.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:31 PM

I broke my antenna last week in a similar way. I found the mast replacement at pep boys for $15. I can't get it installed however. I stick the mast into the motor, but the motor won't catch the teeth.... Is there a special method to installing a new mast? The motor moves up and down but the teeth don't catch at all.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:39 PM

On the same topic, Where could I get one of those antennas that are mounted on like the backwindshieldglass or top of the hood that stick up a little. They have dual functionality for tv and am/fm?
and how much would it run me?
Old 02-06-2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by Gates
I broke my antenna last week in a similar way. I found the mast replacement at pep boys for $15. I can't get it installed however. I stick the mast into the motor, but the motor won't catch the teeth.... Is there a special method to installing a new mast? The motor moves up and down but the teeth don't catch at all.
When I replaced mine the gear that grabbed at the teeth was stripped so I ended up replacing the whole unit. I would suggest you open the assembly and manually wrap the cable around the gear. When I opened mine I found out that the bottom part of the cable actually broke off around the gear thus it would no longer go up or down.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by MrBlank
On the same topic, Where could I get one of those antennas that are mounted on like the backwindshieldglass or top of the hood that stick up a little. They have dual functionality for tv and am/fm?
and how much would it run me?
Antenna like a cell phone antenna mounted on the rear window or the antenna on the hood??? Maybe you mean the antenna's that mount on the roof like the IS300 antenna or like a VW antenna. The little black rubber one right? Try a search someone just recently mounted his IS300 antenna.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:00 PM

hrmm - u ever think about shaving the trunk hole - makes your car look pretty sleek - otherwise, u can pick up an antenna for like 30 bucks from shopping.yahoo.com
Old 02-06-2002, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
hrmm - u ever think about shaving the trunk hole - makes your car look pretty sleek - otherwise, u can pick up an antenna for like 30 bucks from shopping.yahoo.com
My hole? Nah, too much effort.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:04 PM

Yeah the rubbery one that kinda slopes back. Which tool would you use to "shave" your antennae and/or door handles?
Old 02-06-2002, 06:07 PM

Yeah the rubbery one that kinda slopes back. Which tool would you use to "shave" your antennae and/or door handles?
It's not as easy as you think. It requires body work.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:11 PM

Re: thanks

Teddo
Well, depending on the signal strength, you'll be surprised what you can pick up with a broken antenna.

Also, do you have the diversity antenna system? Look on your headunit if it says diversity fm, or look on your rear window above the defrost grille. You might have a second radio antenna there.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:14 PM

Oh the way people talk you would think its like getting a haircut "just a little off the top." I thought you had that tv antenae on your car Rav.

Old 02-06-2002, 06:21 PM

Oh the way people talk you would think its like getting a haircut "just a little off the top." I thought you had that tv antenae on your car Rav.

I agree the term "shaving" door handles can be a little misleading. But in order to do so you would need a new way to open the doors, which usually means some kind of remote controlled system like Autoloc. Plus the body work. The labor charges alone would be very costly. As for the antenna no I do not have the tv antenna.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What's more: disconnecting the harness on the antenna motor also disables the remote. Don't know why but it does.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:07 PM

update

When I replaced mine the gear that grabbed at the teeth was stripped so I ended up replacing the whole unit. I would suggest you open the assembly and manually wrap the cable around the gear. When I opened mine I found out that the bottom part of the cable actually broke off around the gear thus it would no longer go up or down.
The teeth part of the antenna seems to have fallen off on the highway on my way back from work, so that leaves me out of a mast and teeth part (is this the cable part that is listed as part of the antenna assembly?). Should I just buy a whole new unit or will the price of the cable(?) and mast still be cheaper than the whole thing? Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Teddo
Old 02-06-2002, 09:40 PM

The pack I got at Pep Boys includes the white teethed part. Is this what you're talking about? That part is connected to the metal cover that goes up and down.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:23 AM

Where could I get one of those antennas that are mounted on like the backwindshieldglass or top of the hood that stick up a little.
I think you can get them at the grocery store. Right next to the rice.
Old 02-07-2002, 02:12 PM

Re: update

The teeth part of the antenna seems to have fallen off on the highway on my way back from work, so that leaves me out of a mast and teeth part (is this the cable part that is listed as part of the antenna assembly?). Should I just buy a whole new unit or will the price of the cable(?) and mast still be cheaper than the whole thing? Thanks for all the responses everyone.

Teddo
If your motor is intact all you need is the mast. The mast is the metal part that sticks up like a mast on a boat and is connected to the cable (w/teeth). I think brand new they are like $30-$40. By "antenna assembly" I mean the motor and the mast. I picked up an assembly for $50 used so it's up to you what you get.

This is a mast:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...item=601751461
Old 02-07-2002, 03:16 PM
MDubya

Re: car wash story, need a new antenna

Yeah , I did the same thing i a Mobile Car Wash, it tore the case shielding off but i pulled the square white piece out of the antenna as far as i could, shoved it back in the Hole and wala, works good as new. only thing is the motor for it runs a little longer, still saving 50 though, MDubya

Old 02-07-2002, 03:53 PM

Yeah if you're willing to shell out like 400-500 bux just shave the antenna. I'm gonna be shaving mine soon and putting an IS300 one, cuz I think our antenna's are too big and look real fugly. You would have to get it done from a body shop though for a nice professional job, can't do it yourself.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:31 PM

damnit, wats this rice thing mean?