4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

CV Axle Seals ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 09:58 AM

CV Axle Seals ...

So, with the replacement of the CV axles (driver and passenger side) in my ‘99, these (or the aftermarket equivalent) are the axle seals that should also be replaced, right?

Old 12-31-2020, 04:41 PM

Yup. Just did new axles and seals in mine on Tuesday. Do yourself a favor and get a few feet of 2" PVC and a cap and make a seal installation tool. For the passenger side, I get under the car, position the open end of the PVC (which fits perfectly on the outer edge of the seals) and have someone whack the capped end while I guide until seated. Driver seal is easy enough by yourself. 5lb sledge. Takes 2 minutes/seal.

Last edited by User1; 12-31-2020 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:10 PM

The first one, yes. The second one, maybe. Is your transmission Limited-Slip or not? The right side seals are all the same, but the left side seals are different depending on which transmission you have. For a 1999 Automatic the transmission code is either RE4F04A, or RE4F04V for the LSD.

The right side seal you found as 38342P can also be found as National or Timken Part # 710124. The left seal looks like 38342Q for the RE4F04V limited slip transmission (National / Timken Part # 710397), but the left seal for the RE4F04A transmission looks the same as 38342P (National / Timken Part # 710118). In researching this I discovered that the seals are the same for both manual and automatic transmissions (with the same stipulation for LSD or not).

Will you be installing new seals with the transmission in the car? The driver side is easy either way, but the passenger side can be difficult to place properly while the transmission is in the vehicle. But the above mentioned method of PVC pipe and a helper is a good way to go.
Old 01-01-2021, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by komik
Is your transmission Limited-Slip or not?
Not ...
Old 01-01-2021, 09:14 AM

Turbo, which CV axels did you get as replacements?
Old 01-01-2021, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by 98 i30t 5spd
Turbo, which CV axels did you get as replacements?
In the car right now, I’ve got Cardone Select (not re-manned) ... they were installed about 6-7 years ago and they’ve been pretty much perfect.

Although the passenger side inner boot has failed, based on what I’ve seen (and felt) during my inspections, I’m convinced that the failure is due to damage, not age, wear or quality. I’ve got just the smallest slit in the boot that’s resulted in a little grease loss and the puckering of one of the boot’s corrugations.

To play it safe I’ve ordered another set of axles, but this time I bought the Cardone re-manned unit’s with fingers crossed.

I’m gonna have to play musical axles for a little bit cuz the Cardone Selects (those currently installed) are under a LLT so I’m going to let them fail ... I bought those from Summit.

I bought the rebuilts kinda just to get by for a while and they were $25/ea. on close out at Rock Auto.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:38 PM

I just discovered that my left side seal is blown and needs to be redone. I’m thinking of just repacking and replacing the seal as there is no other issue. Looks like this might be a DIY deal from the discussion above. Are there any good step by step instructions available?

any help would be appreciated!
Old 01-14-2021, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by goldmax
I just discovered that my left side seal is blown and needs to be redone. I’m thinking of just repacking and replacing the seal as there is no other issue. Looks like this might be a DIY deal from the discussion above. Are there any good step by step instructions available?

any help would be appreciated!
Based on what you’ve stated, it sounds like you’re talking about a failed CV boot not the axle seal as there is no “repacking” associated with an axle seal replacement.

Am I correct ... your driver-side boot has failed?
Old 01-14-2021, 12:09 PM

You know the NEW Surtrack CV Axles are the exact same as the Cardone Select? All made by Wonh Industries. About $37 Left side and $59 Right side at RockAuto. Just to be done with it and store the new Cardones for "next" time. Not a fun job, so extra money well spent.

I put anti-sieze compound every place where metal meets metal, so in case I ever needed to remove them, it would be easier to pull them.

New seals, a seal puller (Harbor Freight $7.99 minus 20%) and 2" PVC pipe with an enc cap (to hit with a mallet) will get ya done.

And no radio for you when doing the work! LOL

Originally Posted by Turbobink
In the car right now, I’ve got Cardone Select (not re-manned) ... they were installed about 6-7 years ago and they’ve been pretty much perfect.

Although the passenger side inner boot has failed, based on what I’ve seen (and felt) during my inspections, I’m convinced that the failure is due to damage, not age, wear or quality. I’ve got just the smallest slit in the boot that’s resulted in a little grease loss and the puckering of one of the boot’s corrugations.

To play it safe I’ve ordered another set of axles, but this time I bought the Cardone re-manned unit’s with fingers crossed.

I’m gonna have to play musical axles for a little bit cuz the Cardone Selects (those currently installed) are under a LLT so I’m going to let them fail ... I bought those from Summit.

I bought the rebuilts kinda just to get by for a while and they were $25/ea. on close out at Rock Auto.

Last edited by KP11520; 01-14-2021 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2021, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by KP11520
You know the NEW Surtrack CV Axles are the exact same as the Cardone Select? All made by Wonh Industries. About $37 Left side and $59 Right side at RockAuto. Just to be done with it and store the new Cardones for "next" time. Not a fun job, so extra money well spent...
I may have to order both of those. I need to replace my passenger side axle because I stupidly messed up the threads when I was removing it to replace the wheel bearing a while back. At those prices it's worth getting another driver side axle to have on hand for later.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Based on what you’ve stated, it sounds like you’re talking about a failed CV boot not the axle seal as there is no “repacking” associated with an axle seal replacement.

Am I correct ... your driver-side boot has failed?
Yes. From everything I’ve read here, it might be best to just replace the axle with another one.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:47 AM

Yes. From everything I’ve read here, it might be best to just replace the axle with another one.
May as well do seals while you're at it though.
Old 01-15-2021, 11:28 AM
JvG

Regarding seal replacement. ...

Easy now, a pita later on.

Old man Murphy..... or Could have, Should have , Would have .
Old 01-16-2021, 03:52 AM

Thanks all!
Old 01-25-2021, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by komik
The first one, yes. The second one, maybe. Is your transmission Limited-Slip or not? The right side seals are all the same, but the left side seals are different depending on which transmission you have. For a 1999 Automatic the transmission code is either RE4F04A, or RE4F04V for the LSD.

The right side seal you found as 38342P can also be found as National or Timken Part # 710124. The left seal looks like 38342Q for the RE4F04V limited slip transmission (National / Timken Part # 710397), but the left seal for the RE4F04A transmission looks the same as 38342P (National / Timken Part # 710118). In researching this I discovered that the seals are the same for both manual and automatic transmissions (with the same stipulation for LSD or not).

Will you be installing new seals with the transmission in the car? The driver side is easy either way, but the passenger side can be difficult to place properly while the transmission is in the vehicle. But the above mentioned method of PVC pipe and a helper is a good way to go.
Question.....my transmission tag is almost totally faded and the only letter I can clearly make out is an "X". The dealer said the VIN indicates mine is NOT limited slip - he can see that when he looks up the seals via my VIN#. Is there any other way to figure out for sure whether or not I have limited slip? FYI - I'm still on the original axles.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:13 PM

Question.....my transmission tag is almost totally faded and the only letter I can clearly make out is an "X". The dealer said the VIN indicates mine is NOT limited slip - he can see that when he looks up the seals via my VIN#. Is there any other way to figure out for sure whether or not I have limited slip? FYI - I'm still on the original axles.
The driver side axel seal is larger for a VLSD compared to a non-limited slip. The driver side axel has two splines on a VLSD, the non-VLSD axel has one spline.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:03 PM

In the engine compartment on the firewall on the passenger side a few inches lower than the top is an aluminum plate with info on it.

About 3 or 4 or maybe 5 rows down on that plate will have the Transmission installed: RE4F04A for open drive, or RE4F04V for the LSD as komik said above.