4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Where to start with my starting issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 04:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where to start with my starting issues.

First of all, my car is a 97 GLE automatic with just over 111000 miles on it, bone stock VQ30de. I was aware it had starting issues when it was purchased (bad knock and oxygen sensors) but now it won't start at all. I get power when I turn the key (radio, windows, interior lights etc) but the engine will not crank. I will hear a click like it's trying to engage the starter but nothing happens, it does this in neutral as well. Tried jumping it and got smoke from the front right side, it smelled electrical. I'm new to this car and I'm not sure where to start, suggestions for what to check first would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: the tried and true technique of whacking the starter has no effect.

Last edited by Akichanwillow; 04-06-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Hit your starter with a long pipe a few times. I bet your car will start. Start with that and report back.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Akichanwillow
First of all, my car is a 97 GLE automatic with just over 111000 miles on it, bone stock VQ30de. I was aware it had starting issues when it was purchased (bad knock and oxygen sensors) but now it won't start at all. I get power when I turn the key (radio, windows, interior lights etc) but the engine will not crank. I will hear a click like it's trying to engage the starter but nothing happens, it does this in neutral as well. Tried jumping it and got smoke from the front right side, it smelled electrical. I'm new to this car and I'm not sure where to start, suggestions for what to check first would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: the tried and true technique of whacking the starter has no effect.
Sounds like the starter. As above said, hit it with a wrench and see if it starts (need another person to crank).

The starter is not hard to replace, you just need to remove the air filter box and plastic intake duct and it's right there. There are how to videos on youtube as well.

Tip: the two bolts holding the starter are really long and torqued a bit high. You may need a 3/8 breaker bar to break the bolts.

I was able to do it within an hour. And I had to replace mine at about the same mileage. Don't forget to put anti-seize on the bolts in case.

I wanted to fix the thing (it's a Denso made) instead of buying a new one (after market brand) but couldn't find a rebuild kit. You can find rebuild kit for a lot of Toyota starters (also Denso made).

I was able to rebuild one in our Toyota Avalon. The kit was like $30 ish on Amazon.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:50 AM

Don't replace anything until you test it. First Make sure the battery is fully charged and also make sure the alarm is not activated. Close all doors and open the trunk with the key to disarm it.

Then Verify that the starter cable at the starter isn't touching or broken off..Also Verify that the connection is tight at the Starter.

I then would remove the ground cable and clean it well at the battery and Tighten it back down. Then Try to start the car.

If it starts great. If it does not. Get a helper and a test light to make sure it's getting its signal at the starter. If so, starter is shot.. Or the engine is locked up, check the oil. ✌