4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Maxima SE Power Steering Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 06:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

95 Maxima SE Power Steering Help

Could use a little help. My 1995 Maxima SE has developed a dripping leak. Put some UV dye in and it appears that it is on a rubber line that goes across the car (side to side) just above the tie rods. The line appears to be rubber across the middle of the car just behind the transmission, and comes through a hole in the center of the car (from drivers side toward passenger) and ultimately connects to a metal pipe closer to the passenger side. I haven't looked yet at the driver's side, but I have to assume it goes to the rack. My leak is on the passenger end where it is attached to the metal pipe via a spring clamp.

Is this just a standard rubber power steering hose as opposed to some special Nissan custom part?

Is it actually the return line from the rack or is it on the higher pressure side?

Can I replace it without rack removal?

Fortunately I noticed it before the rack went dry.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Old 04-08-2021, 07:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This picture may help. The photo is shot from just behind the passenger front wheel looking in over the tie rod (shown). The leaking line is toward the top. You can see a small green drip at the end of the rubber line which is actually UV tinted PS fluid (there is also a black light on it). You can see the spring clip on the rubber which leads me to believe it is likely a return line.

This is the line (at top center).
Old 04-08-2021, 08:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I can confirm it is the upper line along the firewall. Tough place to access, but it does appear to be closely related to the drip I had been starting to see just inside the front right tire. I thought it was oil, but the oil level was never down. It is losing PS fluid, so this is likely the culprit.

Further info includes that it appears it has a similar spring type clamp to the steering rack on the left side. Ultimately, it leaves the rack, as a metal fitting, then this rubber line runs across the firewall where it connects to metal line that runs up under the reservoir (on the passenger side) and connects to cooler lines there that run toward the radiator before it all comes back to the reservoir. Definitely starting to believe it is a return line.

Is my return line assumption correct?

Can I replace with standard 3/8 250psi PS line from AZ or AAP?

Any secrets to getting to that clamp in the little heat isolator along the firewall?

Thanks,