4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Selecting motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 06:00 PM

Selecting motor oil

Someone clarify for me please, this is from the manual:

Only those engine oils with the American Pe-
troleum Institute (API) certification mark on the
front of the container should be used. This type
of oil supersedes the existing API SG or SH
and Energy Conserving II categories.
If you cannot find engine oil with the certifica-
tion mark, an API SG or SH and Energy
Conserving II oil with API service symbol may
be used. An oil with a single designation SG or
SH, or in combination with other categories
(for example, SG/CC or SG/CD) may also be
used if one with the API certification mark
cannot be found.

So does this mean all I gotta look for in oil is the API certification mark on the front of the bottle and 5w-30 / 10w-30 viscosity?
Old 04-30-2021, 02:44 AM

Geeezus ... seriously?
Old 04-30-2021, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
Geeezus ... seriously?
Yes, I just got my first car and I'm clueless.
Old 05-01-2021, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by RITE
In that case, I apologize and I’ll try to be helpful.

Youre worrying about technicalities that don’t really matter in the real world.

When choosing a motor oil, it’s going to be harder to find one that doesn’t meet the owners manual specifications than it will be to find one that does ... since most, if not all, name-brand oils do.

But here are a few basic questions to help you make an educated choice:

* In which State of the union do and your car reside?

* How many miles are on your car?

* Is this daily driver/commuter vehicle or an occasional/weekend/pleasure vehicle?

* Are you a street racer or a Sunday driver type?

My ‘99 has 175k mikes on it. It’s meticulously and obsessively maintained and I drive like an 87 year old woman on her way to and from church ... or so I’m told. Point being, I am not hard on nor do my driving habits in any way come close to being viewed as aggressive or abusive.

I live the Tampa FL area and, at least up until this past year, put about 7K to 8K miles/year on my car.

I’ve found that my car seems to like the Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 and I change my oil somewhere b/t 2500 and 3000 miles religiously ... overkill? ... perhaps, but you should see and hear and drive my car.

Regarless of your answers to questions I posed above if you use a name brand oil in any of those viscosities and change the oil in accordance with the owners manual specs, you’re going to be good.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:05 PM

I live in Wisconsin so i see harsh climates in both extremes. I run amsoil 5w30 year around since 163k miles. My car has 237k now in almost 4 years. Ive replaced the main seals when i replaced my clutch so i have no leaks aside from my timing covers that the previous owner boogered up with orange silicone when doing the water pump. I use nissan filters from the dealer as well. Get a new crush washer for your drain plug while you're there.

Oh, i change mine every 5k miles or so. I mostly drive easy on the car but i do enjoy a spirited drive in it. I just drove it to atlanta and back no problem. About 980 miles straight through except gas stops

Last edited by battlestylespl; 05-02-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:17 AM

for me living on the east coast in the salt belt with cold winters i use 5 w 30 wolfs head oil. been around a long time and works well with the max.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by RITE
Any major brand SAE 5W30 will do you fine. No need to go OCD on something that will drive you crazy and give you nothing extra in return. Put that focus on things that will give you something in return. And always keep diminishing returns in balance!

You just got the best advice ever in relation to Old First Cars! LOL

Amsoil has a great reputation among many if you feel you need something special and more difficult to find. LOL

Enjoy The Ride!
Old 05-05-2021, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Turbobink
My ‘99 has 175k mikes on it. It’s meticulously and obsessively maintained and I drive like an 87 year old woman on her way to and from church ... or so I’m told. Point being, I am not hard on nor do my driving habits in any way come close to being viewed as aggressive or abusive.

I live the Tampa FL area
Shout out to Tampa Florida, that “used” to be home back in the day for me too haha.

But I have to say: I think people put a bit much emphasis on “abuse” of cars lol. I am over 300,000 miles, and would occasionally red line, and do the limits of 112 mph in the Max... The only breakdowns I’ve had over the years were the alternator, not including miscellaneous wear and tear items.

However, when my 57 year old mother started driving to and from places like an 87 year old lady going to church, the problems seemed to have just kept coming lol. Not to say they weren’t already in the wear and tear list, but my Max has become more sluggish than it used to be. Hence the issue that’s been going unsolved.

I say as long as a person doesn’t let their oil run low or overfill, and is using high mileage synthetic or synthetic blends...revv that engine up once in awhile, and keep it on the highway. that’s what they are meant to do lol.

Hell, I just found out last week that if I hold the brakes and gas the pedal, I can get my Y33 rear tires to spin (it was a 1 off night and felt stupid the next day, I coulda ended up with a ticket or worse). I can be a bit immature when it comes down to cars. I grew up playing cruising USA and Gran Turismo, so what can I say lol.

But I take care of them, in return. Some just abuse, and don’t give anything back.

Last edited by 97_GXE; 05-05-2021 at 02:03 AM.