4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wiper linkage replacement frustration

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 01:45 PM
What does that mean?

Wiper linkage replacement frustration

So I broke the wiper linkage/wiper transmission a week or so ago, and purchased a new one from Rockauto (Dorman) because there are essentially no 4th gens in the local junkyards anymore as they've all been crushed due to rust around here.

The issue is the connector between the linkage and the motor.

The connector that came with the linkage has a hole that is too big for the shaft on the motor. The old connector has a smaller hole with ridges that match a spline on the motor shaft. The new connector's hole is so big it slides right past the spline.
So I thought about using the old connector from the old linkage but its ball is too big for the new linkage socket (very hard to turn once connected, even when lubed).
Not sure where to go from here.
Thoughts?

Last edited by DizzyEdge; 05-07-2022 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:46 PM

Hey, Its been a while since I have seen you here, I am going to the yards tomorrow and theyre a few 4th gens here. How hard is it to pull out
Old 05-07-2022, 05:24 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by aembleton
Hey, Its been a while since I have seen you here, I am going to the yards tomorrow and theyre a few 4th gens here. How hard is it to pull out
All good, I realized that the width of both ***** were almost identical so then I thought maybe the issue is that raised ring on the old ball, so I dremeled it down flush and then it was much easier to move but actually was still harder to snap into the socket than the new connector so win win.

Sadly though once it was all together I tried it out and it seems the original stress of the linkage breaking damaged the motor gearing because although it works there is bad grinding/thumping from within the motor housing

So now I'm bidding on eBay used motors...
I appreciate your offer.
​​
Old 05-21-2022, 02:05 PM
What does that mean?

Just an update which might be helpful for anyone else doing this repair on an earlier 4th gen model. Apparently the wiper hardware was changed at some point. As I mentioned above the motor linkage that came with the wiper transmission had way too big of a hole to fit my existing motor.

Well once I got a new motor the old linkage that I had modified to fit the new transmission now wouldn't fit the new motor because the new motor shaft was far bigger so the motor linkage that came with the new wiper transmission now fit the new motor, but! Of course the washer and nut that came off the old motor won't fit on the shaft, so off to home depot to find replacements. Super annoying.

1996 model year built May 1995.