4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

not! Anyways question for you 5spd guys, when you have the car on can you push the stick into a gear without pressing the clutch? I thought it would try to grind gears, but on mine it wont do anything, jus stays in netural, whether i press the clutch or not, btu when the car is off i can easily play with the gears. Btw i just did the 5spd conversion.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:00 AM

Re: Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

damn and i thought sex sells.....
Old 02-08-2002, 09:02 AM

nah - u gotta press da clutch when the car is on........it should be the same even though u had the conversion done
Old 02-08-2002, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by skeelo34
not! Anyways question for you 5spd guys, when you have the car on can you push the stick into a gear without pressing the clutch? I thought it would try to grind gears, but on mine it wont do anything, jus stays in netural, whether i press the clutch or not, btu when the car is off i can easily play with the gears. Btw i just did the 5spd conversion.
From a stop, no. While you're moving, yes, if you know what you're doing. But since you're asking this question, you probably don't, so don't try it.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:10 AM

do you have fluid in the tranny??? 0_o you better! leave your car running for a while and let the fluid circulate...and see if that helps
Old 02-08-2002, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by AznStevie
do you have fluid in the tranny??? 0_o you better! leave your car running for a while and let the fluid circulate...and see if that helps
Plenty of fluid, I let it warm up. Also i didnt know taht the manual tranny doesnt connect to the radiator to cool the fluid.....unlike the automatic. Does anyone have a picture of where the hydraulic lines run for the clutch? I didnt know where to mount them.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:16 AM

Re: Re: Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

Originally posted by jargoone
From a stop, no. While you're moving, yes, if you know what you're doing. But since you're asking this question, you probably don't, so don't try it.
What he's saying is that you can math the rpms and shift without using the clutch after you've started moving. Most race cars shift this way. But they also have gearboxes designed to take the abuse, they replace them after every race, and they know how to shift. They also have straight cut gears. But shifting like this, you shorten the life of your tranny A LOT!
Old 02-08-2002, 09:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

Originally posted by JdawgX

What he's saying is that you can math the rpms and shift without using the clutch after you've started moving. Most race cars shift this way. But they also have gearboxes designed to take the abuse, they replace them after every race, and they know how to shift. They also have straight cut gears. But shifting like this, you shorten the life of your tranny A LOT!
So there is absolutely no way to throw it into first gear from a stop in neutral without pressing the clutch? my friend is telling me that it should go to first and the car would stall, so i dont who's right. then again he doesnt have a maxima 5spd........
Old 02-08-2002, 09:52 AM
Sports Button FTW

YOOOO, how much did you pay for conversion, pieces, installation and all cause I want to do it but i'm afraid of the price...3 g's is a lot of money, it may be worth it but i'm not trying to spend that kind of dough...if it was a 1,000 dollars or under, i'm getting it
Old 02-08-2002, 09:55 AM

There is a hot girl in my 5-sp max, when my wife is driving it.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:55 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

So there is absolutely no way to throw it into first gear from a stop in neutral without pressing the clutch? my friend is telling me that it should go to first and the car would stall, so i dont who's right. then again he doesnt have a maxima 5spd........
No You should not be able to do that with your car... you should be able to step on the clutch, put it in first, and then let off the clutch and the car should stall... unless you can somehow get the car moving... But if you let up off the clutck quickly enough it should stall.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:59 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

Originally posted by delio

No You should not be able to do that with your car... you should be able to step on the clutch, put it in first, and then let off the clutch and the car should stall... unless you can somehow get the car moving... But if you let up off the clutck quickly enough it should stall.
Does anyone read what the question is before posting??? He wants to know if you can put it into first WITHOUT putting the clutch in. I suppose if you pressed hard enough you MAY be able to. But the tranny WILL hate you, and you'll have a couple of pounds of metal shavings to drain out of the tranny from all of the grinding. DON'T DO IT!
Old 02-08-2002, 10:13 AM
Sports Button FTW

that's virtually impossible...that's why it's called STICK...what you CAN DO is double ****...well, that's what they were doing in Fast and the Furious...an automatic might speed past you for the first 2 seconds due to you having to get your speed up, but if you double shift correctly, you'll smoke him like a bag of weed
Old 02-08-2002, 10:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

Does anyone read what the question is before posting??? He wants to know if you can put it into first WITHOUT putting the clutch in. I suppose if you pressed hard enough you MAY be able to. But the tranny WILL hate you, and you'll have a couple of pounds of metal shavings to drain out of the tranny from all of the grinding. DON'T DO IT!

THANK YOU!
Old 02-08-2002, 11:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what is a pressure plate?

edit: for those of you who didn't get it, that was sarcasm up there.
Old 02-08-2002, 11:54 AM

hey skeelo did you do the swap youself or did a shop do it for you.
how difficult was it if you did do it yourself?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:06 PM

What's so hard about just pushing the bloody clutch pedal in...? Seriously, why are you trying to do without that trivial little step (no pun intended)?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by YDRSBTR
What's so hard about just pushing the bloody clutch pedal in...? Seriously, why are you trying to do without that trivial little step (no pun intended)?
I want to know if there is something wrong with my transmission or not. I wanted to know if you could do that. I just did a 5spd swap so I don’t know what is normal and what isn’t. I bled the system of air but my clutch still does not want to pop back up after pushing it in. It also loses pressure when the car is turned on as opposed to off (the pedal is a lot stiffer and pops back when the car is off). Do you think if I went through all of this I would be asking a question that might sound stupid, when it really isn’t?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:27 PM

I want to know if there is something wrong with my transmission or not. I wanted to know if you could do that. I just did a 5spd swap so I don’t know what is normal and what isn’t. I bled the system of air but my clutch still does not want to pop back up after pushing it in. It also loses pressure when the car is turned on as opposed to off (the pedal is a lot stiffer and pops back when the car is off). Do you think if I went through all of this I would be asking a question that might sound stupid, when it really isn’t?
He didn't aim that twords you. There are some other people whoring up this post with stupid questions about shifting without the clutch. That's what he was responding to. If I were you, I'd take the car into a local mechanic and have him take a look at it. Most people around here have no clue how to work on the car that Mommy and Daddy gave them. I wish you luck in getting it fixed though. And good job having the ***** to actually go through with something, not just talk about it.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:29 PM

See, all that is pretty key information you should have included from the start. Simply asking if you can shift without the clutch doesn't give us enough information to go by.

So it's bleeding pressure when the car is on, but not when it's off...?
Old 02-08-2002, 12:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

Does anyone read what the question is before posting??? He wants to know if you can put it into first WITHOUT putting the clutch in.
I did. Did you?
not! Anyways question for you 5spd guys, when you have the car on can you push the stick into a gear without pressing the clutch?
I saw nothing about first gear there.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Lime

what is a pressure plate?
Its like this plate thats under pressure.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot Girl In 5spd Max!

Originally posted by jargoone

I did. Did you?

I saw nothing about first gear there.

You must read further on Danial son
Old 02-08-2002, 12:53 PM

Originally posted by YDRSBTR
See, all that is pretty key information you should have included from the start. Simply asking if you can shift without the clutch doesn't give us enough information to go by.

So it's bleeding pressure when the car is on, but not when it's off...?

OMG am I speaking another language????? The question was simply can I shift the tranny without pressing the clutch from neutral while the car is stopped. It is just that simple. If someone answered me “yes,” then I would know there is something wrong with my transmission, or not the clutch pedal, since I can’t shift in neutral while I’m stopped with the engine on. If they told me you cannot shift, then I would have to conclude that it is the clutch pedal not working right.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:01 PM

OMG am I speaking another language????? The question was simply can I shift the tranny without pressing the clutch from neutral while the car is stopped. It is just that simple. If someone answered me “yes,” then I would know there is something wrong with my transmission, or not the clutch pedal, since I can’t shift in neutral while I’m stopped with the engine on. If they told me you cannot shift, then I would have to conclude that it is the clutch pedal not working right.
Read my above posts. I'm pretty sure I answered you already. If you still need something then please be more specific and I'll answer what I can.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:13 PM

Slow down there, Skippy. Relax. You got your answer. Fuhgeddaboutit.
Old 02-08-2002, 01:51 PM

Thank you all for the answers. I get a little frustrated when people don't read but its all good.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:14 PM

Simple answer: No. You can't match the engine speed (idle RPM or whatever you have gassed it to) and the tranny rpm (0). It is possible to shift without the clutch while moving, though not recommended because you have to match rpms very closely or damage your tranny. If you try forcing it into 1st from a stop without the clutch, you'll just hear grinding until your tranny dies or your engine stalls and you clunk forward a few inches/feet.