4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MPG problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 09:20 PM

MPG problem!!

hey guys, i got a huge problem with my gas mileage..im gettin bout 10-15 MPG for sum wierd reason...i jus had my 60k mile tuneup like 5 months ago, new NGK sparks, fuel filter, PCV vavle, oil change, and air filter. When my tank was empty(like the low gas light came on)...and i filled the tank up, and only got 14.5 gallons, the tank holds 18.5, correct? my idle is kinda low for sum reason, could that be a problem? should i clean my throttle body? but no engine light has come on anytime ever...could there be a problem with my catalytic(stock), or O2 sensor? i need new tires, i know that atleast, and my tire pressure doesnt maintain too well, have to fill up air very often(once every other week or so)...wut possibly can be wrong? help me guys...thanx
Old 02-11-2002, 09:38 PM

If you make lots of short trips (5 miles or less) in cold temperatures, it is not unusual to get 15MPG. I got 14 MPG when it was freezing temps and I had to use the AC defogger full blast to keep the windshield clear every morning (on a 5 mile commute).
Old 02-11-2002, 11:02 PM

I tend to get between 16 and 19 mph, depending on how I have been driving. If I go racing a lot and/or, like Eric said, make short trips in cold weather, it's generally close to 16. I don't think 15 is too bad, but 10? Seems pretty low to me, do you let it warm up for a long time in the mornings, rev your engine a lot, accelerate quickly, use your AC a lot, drive fast with window(s) open, stuff like that? Underinflated tires will significantly reduce your mpg, get 'em changed! Cleaning your throttle body couldn't hurt either.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:37 AM

well when im in a rush and gettin late to school, i gotta get outta there without letting it warm up too long...but i do almost always try to let it warm up 2 mins or so, then pull out, and not accelerate more then 2500 RPMS until the temp reaches the warmed up middle point...also, my exhaust has been emitting from the car more than it used to...is this just a winter thing? yesterday, i put in $7 of gas, it gave me exactly 5 gallons, and my indicator was sumwhere btwn 1/4 and half tank..and i made like a 15 mile trip to manhattan and back, not much traffic either, but city driving, and at the night when i came home, it was btwn a 1/4 and empty, i cant afford to fill my tank up everyday like that...imma trade my car in for one of those ugly hybrid things that get 70 MPG..i do make short trips, cuz my university is like 6 miles from my house...i dont rev my engine up that much...almost never push it past 3500, except if im racing...but in my dads 95 max...i never had a gas problem like this, i used to rev it up, not warm it up much in the winter, still ran fine...guess ill jus get it checked it out...thank guys
Old 02-12-2002, 02:45 PM

When your car is cold, it is normal for it to blow out a lot of steam. Don't get one of those hybrids! After driving the Max, it will feel like you're driving a pinto. And besides, they look funny.
Old 02-12-2002, 03:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was getting about 18 MPG HWY, or about 300 MPT, and I thought this was pretty strange, especially since when I changed the plugs it seemed to be running lean. I had my throttle body and fuel injectors cleaned, as I hadn't had it done in about 30K miles, and my last trip this past weekend I got about 24 MPG, or about 450 MPT, at speeds of about 85/90 the entire way. This could be the cause of your problems, so you might want to check that out.
Old 02-12-2002, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Prolepsis
I tend to get between 16 and 19 mph, depending on how I have been driving. If I go racing a lot and/or, like Eric said, make short trips in cold weather, it's generally close to 16. I don't think 15 is too bad, but 10? Seems pretty low to me, do you let it warm up for a long time in the mornings, rev your engine a lot, accelerate quickly, use your AC a lot, drive fast with window(s) open, stuff like that? Underinflated tires will significantly reduce your mpg, get 'em changed! Cleaning your throttle body couldn't hurt either.

How does driving fast with WINDOW(S) OPEN affect gas mileage?
Old 02-12-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by NyC97Max
well when im in a rush and gettin late to school, i gotta get outta there without letting it warm up too long...but i do almost always try to let it warm up 2 mins or so, then pull out, and not accelerate more then 2500 RPMS until the temp reaches the warmed up middle point...also, my exhaust has been emitting from the car more than it used to...is this just a winter thing? yesterday, i put in $7 of gas, it gave me exactly 5 gallons, and my indicator was sumwhere btwn 1/4 and half tank..and i made like a 15 mile trip to manhattan and back, not much traffic either, but city driving, and at the night when i came home, it was btwn a 1/4 and empty, i cant afford to fill my tank up everyday like that...imma trade my car in for one of those ugly hybrid things that get 70 MPG..i do make short trips, cuz my university is like 6 miles from my house...i dont rev my engine up that much...almost never push it past 3500, except if im racing...but in my dads 95 max...i never had a gas problem like this, i used to rev it up, not warm it up much in the winter, still ran fine...guess ill jus get it checked it out...thank guys

Are you using Super Premium GAS? It may be expensive, but at time it saves you more gas especially driving highways.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:45 PM

i think i'm going to get 200 miles to this tank... it's pretty messed up

i let it warm up for about a minute or 2 in the morning... (winter here... very cold out)

and then going to work i rev it only to 2k... sometimes 2500 until it goe past "C" at which point i'm out of my neighbourhood and heading onto a larger road. At which point i hit 3rd and 4th and 5th and around 3500, 3500 and 2k the rest of the ride to work...

sound about right that i should be getting this kinda mpg?

boo

i have
Old 02-12-2002, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by tvn_1010

How does driving fast with WINDOW(S) OPEN affect gas mileage?
Opening your windows at high speeds is like opening a small parachute. Ever notice how people in the back seat get more wind than people in the front? That is because air gets sucked in through the windows, but doesn't have a good escape route, creating a lot of turbulence and drag.