4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alignment Part II

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2002, 06:30 AM

Alignment Part II

So I went back to the place that I got my alignment so that they could center my steering wheel correctly and possibly correct my camber situation. They end up telling me that the car is aligned and that I have a bad bushing or rack and pinion cause there is a memory spot in which the steering wheel wants to go back to it's slightly tilted to the right position, no matter how much they adjust to get it center.

What do you guys think? I remember someone saying that having a perfectly centered steering wheel is not possible on a lowered maxima. If this is true than the bad bushing/rack n pinion point would be mute. Currently i'm running a sprint/koni setup.
Old 02-12-2002, 07:35 AM

Re: Alignment Part II

Originally posted by NISMO808
So I went back to the place that I got my alignment so that they could center my steering wheel correctly and possibly correct my camber situation. They end up telling me that the car is aligned and that I have a bad bushing or rack and pinion cause there is a memory spot in which the steering wheel wants to go back to it's slightly tilted to the right position, no matter how much they adjust to get it center.

What do you guys think? I remember someone saying that having a perfectly centered steering wheel is not possible on a lowered maxima. If this is true than the bad bushing/rack n pinion point would be mute. Currently i'm running a sprint/koni setup.
i dunno bout the rack and pinion problem but i do know it is possible to center a steering wheel after being lowered...
Old 02-12-2002, 10:52 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If I were you I'd go to another shop and let them shoot the car. The camber values you posted before could get closer to each other. Isn't that the point of having the car aligned? Not just to check if it's within spec, but to set it up perfectly again. The guy that did mine set them perfect at -.8 degrees on each side. Why can't your's be perfect as well?? Isn't that what your paying for? Especially if the car still pulls. Make sure they shoot all 4 wheels. (If I remember you did have rear readings, correct?) There are no adjustments in the rear, but they must shoot the rear to get your steering str8. (thrust angle) You should only pay around 50 bucks. Once the car drives str8 again, go back to the guys who did the BOTCH JOB and demand your $$$$ back.

The alignment specs you posted originally were within spec. So how can something be wrong with your car???? Doesn't make sense. Perhaps there equipment needs to be recalibrated??

The only other possibility is your tires which may be causing your steering to be slightly off center. Try rotating front to rear. If the steering is still off, then definately have someone else look at your car.