4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Headlight color...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 06:29 PM

Headlight color...

Know how the color of the outer headlight and outer blinker lights have a yellow tint? How the hell can you make them clear like the inner headlight and blinker (have clear corners obviously).
Old 02-13-2002, 06:37 PM

Re: Headlight color...

Originally posted by shaz
Know how the color of the outer headlight and outer blinker lights have a yellow tint? How the hell can you make them clear like the inner headlight and blinker (have clear corners obviously).
i am not sure what you are talking about but if you are talking about the somewhat milky glass??? get 97+ headlights, they are clear. if you are talking about bulbs, PIAA hyperwhites, expensive and probably not worth the money though, i have em. I just hate the pep boy lights, any lights with just a tint of blue look cheap to me, but thats just me, if i had to do it again, i probably wouldnt pay 100 bucks for headlights again.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:40 PM

Sorry I'll be more clear. The headlight is 2 peices, the inner peice and the outter (on the corner). Same with the blinker, large inner, and small outer peice. Now the smaller outer peices on both the headlights and the blinkers have a yellowy kind of tint to them, theyre not just straight up clear like the actual headlight. I want all 4 peices to be clear as the headlights.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:46 PM

Sorry I'll be more clear. The headlight is 2 peices, the inner peice and the outter (on the corner). Same with the blinker, large inner, and small outer peice. Now the smaller outer peices on both the headlights and the blinkers have a yellowy kind of tint to them, theyre not just straight up clear like the actual headlight. I want all 4 peices to be clear as the headlights.
I was wondering the same thing. The clearance lights (on the corner) and the side markers (in the bumper) don't have the same 'white' as the headlights, fog, and blinker lights do. I'm not sure if its just a power/wattage issue or if the bulb itself can be whiter to to match. I would guess the clearance light can be resolved by doing the 'fix' to make it bright all the time with a dual filament bulb but is there a brighter 197 bulb?

Obviously this is for those of us who have the stock bulbs all around, we just want them to all match 'stock'.
Old 02-13-2002, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by MdMaxDrvr

I was wondering the same thing. The clearance lights (on the corner) and the side markers (in the bumper) don't have the same 'white' as the headlights, fog, and blinker lights do. I'm not sure if its just a power/wattage issue or if the bulb itself can be whiter to to match. I would guess the clearance light can be resolved by doing the 'fix' to make it bright all the time with a dual filament bulb but is there a brighter 197 bulb?

Obviously this is for those of us who have the stock bulbs all around, we just want them to all match 'stock'.
Exactly! There's gotta be a brighter bulb for the side markers somewhere. Anyone know where to get them?
Old 02-13-2002, 07:28 PM

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....=1156+file+nub

Do a search for more info.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:16 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's the side marker you guys are looking at. That bulb has 2 elements in it, only the low wattage element lights up in our cars dim and yellow, UNLESS you modify it. You can either rewire the socket OR just file off the top *** of the bulb and stick it back in turned 180 degrees around. You will light up the higher wattage element. NICE AND BRIGHT! Next you need a descent bulb to match your headlights. PIAA makes the 1157 Extream White which looks really nice in there. Then your going to wind up playing with your headlights in order to find the perfect match. Happy hunting!
Old 02-14-2002, 06:30 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
It's the side marker you guys are looking at. That bulb has 2 elements in it, only the low wattage element lights up in our cars dim and yellow, UNLESS you modify it. You can either rewire the socket OR just file off the top *** of the bulb and stick it back in turned 180 degrees around. You will light up the higher wattage element. NICE AND BRIGHT! Next you need a descent bulb to match your headlights. PIAA makes the 1157 Extream White which looks really nice in there. Then your going to wind up playing with your headlights in order to find the perfect match. Happy hunting!
What do you mean exactly by "file off the top ***", could you explain a little better. Also are you talking about the side marker for the blinker or the headlight or both for the filing? If I understand your post...you file off the blinker side marker and reverse it, and replace the headlights' side marker, correct?
Old 02-14-2002, 06:50 AM

What do you mean exactly by "file off the top ***", could you explain a little better. Also are you talking about the side marker for the blinker or the headlight or both for the filing? If I understand your post...you file off the blinker side marker and reverse it, and replace the headlights' side marker, correct?

hey shaz, i notice your new here welcome aboard.
I suggest you do a search for "***" and "filing off" and corner lights... you will find sooo much finromation on this site about it. I've done the mod... i did a search and it gave me a forver amount of info to read on, on this topic.

good luck, it's a nice simple mod to perform.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:53 AM

K thanks. Ive actually been poking around here for quite a while...just recently begining to post a lot =)
Old 02-14-2002, 10:07 AM

That answers the question about the clearance light, but how about the clear corner bulb in the bumper? Unless they make a bright bulb for that (197?)?

I really don't want to go with hyperwhites or superbrights or whatever.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:32 AM

Yeah I searched all around the forum, and I understand how you get the side marker brighter...but I still dont know how to get the 197 blinker bulb to match!
Old 02-14-2002, 11:14 AM

There are plenty of hyperwhite 194 (not 197) bulbs out there for the side piece of the bumper light. I understand that you're not looking for hyperwhites, but some that I have seen aren't really "hyperwhite" or blue. Maybe this is because of the wattage on these.
There are also "White" 194 LED bulbs at Autodynamic.
I have no experience with these but maybe they'd be what you're looking for.
Hope some of this helps.