4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Done with LOOKS.. Need Help with SPEED MODS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 07:07 AM
www.autotalk.com

Done with LOOKS.. Need Help with SPEED MODS!

Alright speed gurus.. I am all done with luxury and looks part of my car. Now I am looking to maximize the HP and Torque on the MaXi. All i have right now is a cone intake filter. Sitting in my garage are Stillen Y pipe, Stillen B pipe and Stillen Muffler. I heard you can gain about 15-20 HP caz of that .. is that true? Do i need to get the catylic converter too? the one that custommaxima sells and how much HP that will give? What else i can do to the car to get more HP. At one point I know i will need a SC but as of right now please advise me the MODS that i need and the amount it will cost to the HP. no NitRouS please! ;-) Thanks and sorry for a long post. (PLEASE DO NO ***** ON THIS THREAD)
Old 02-14-2002, 07:16 AM
dot dot dot ...

Get the greddy b, and stay w/ the stock muffler. Get a wsp y. HAI,w/ upper tube from wsp, or pr. Maybe also a rt cat. g force ecu.(swap out a 96 ecu cuz it wont work w/ yours) Or just get NOS or a V1, or V2 s/c, maybe go custom w/ a turbo.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:18 AM

Re: Done with LOOKS.. Need Help with SPEED MODS!

Originally posted by Max4Speed
Alright speed gurus.. I am all done with luxury and looks part of my car. Now I am looking to maximize the HP and Torque on the MaXi. All i have right now is a cone intake filter. Sitting in my garage are Stillen Y pipe, Stillen B pipe and Stillen Muffler. I heard you can gain about 15-20 HP caz of that .. is that true? Do i need to get the catylic converter too? the one that custommaxima sells and how much HP that will give? What else i can do to the car to get more HP. At one point I know i will need a SC but as of right now please advise me the MODS that i need and the amount it will cost to the HP. no NitRouS please! ;-) Thanks and sorry for a long post. (PLEASE DO NO ***** ON THIS THREAD)
You should know to talk to your S.E. boys, they got all the answers to HP.. Seriously, at our last meet, I noticed a lot of people with speed mods done pretty well. The exhaust side is a great start. Have you thought about changing to a CAI? Just a thought. Some people say ECU upgrades are the way to go, others have even said U.P. will also help. Personally, I think that if you are going to spend the money for those two, you could probably spend it on other things that will give you much more HP/dollar value. My 2 long cents again.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:26 AM
www.autotalk.com

I will sure talk to mySE boys. but wanted to get opinion from everyone...
Old 02-14-2002, 08:33 AM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

No Ossamah, you aren't quite done yet with looks yet! I still see a stock antenna boy! Just kidding. My only advice is: whatever you do, just don't do what I did and buy things that will conflict with the supercharger if/when you get it. I had to eat my CAI ($200) and my G-Force ECU ($600). So if you think there is even a 10% chance you'll get a SC, don't buy an intake, an underdrive pulley nor an ECU (unless it can be reprogrammed for the SC). Good luck.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:37 AM
dot dot dot ...

Re: :o)

Originally posted by ptatohed
No Ossamah, you aren't quite done yet with looks yet! I still see a stock antenna boy! Just kidding. My only advice is: whatever you do, just don't do what I did and buy things that will conflict with the supercharger if/when you get it. I had to eat my CAI ($200) and my G-Force ECU ($600). So if you think there is even a 10% chance you'll get a SC, don't buy an intake, an underdrive pulley nor an ECU (unless it can be reprogrammed for the SC). Good luck.
You didnt have to eat it all! I'd eat $130 for your CAI!
Old 02-14-2002, 08:53 AM
www.autotalk.com

Well.. I still dont have the new pics up. My whole car has been repainted in black of course. i got rid of the antenna hole and the trunk key hole. So i think i am done with looks unless you can suggest that will make my car look DECENT not ricey

So can you please outline WHAT should i get as of right now and lets make an assumption that i WILL get a SC later ;-) appreciate it
Old 02-14-2002, 08:57 AM
Licensed to Spell

Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by NmexMAX

You didnt have to eat it all! I'd eat $130 for your CAI!

Yeah, true. I will be selling my extra stuff soon. I have a lot of stuff (ex. Intrax, brand new CAI, '96 ground effects, etc., etc.)! As soon as I am 100% done with my car, I'll post something in the for sale section.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:46 AM
Licensed to Spell

Well.. I still dont have the new pics up. My whole car has been repainted in black of course. i got rid of the antenna hole and the trunk key hole. So i think i am done with looks unless you can suggest that will make my car look DECENT not ricey

So can you please outline WHAT should i get as of right now and lets make an assumption that i WILL get a SC later ;-) appreciate it

Alright! You are the man!!! I was totally joking about the shaved antenna (not even thinking for a minute you'd ever do it) and it's done! Good man. Welcome to the shaved keyhole and antenna club.

O.k., I'll try. I don't claim to be an expert so if anyone has anything to add, delete or correct, please feel free.

I guess the obvious is a catback. Go 2.5" even if you plan on the SC. Some say 3" but that's hogwash. 2.5" is fine. I don't know that I have any suggestions. I wanted the quietest best performing catback I could get so I went with a custome 2.5" from a local shop and a Dynomax SuperTurbo muffler (not straight through - supposed to be quieter). If you want/don't mind a loud sound, look into a straight-through muffler.

Forgo the catalytic converter. Until someone can actually PROVE that it does anything at all, I would stick with stock. I have yet to see someone dyno it with any gains.

Next would certainly be a Y-pipe. Once again, it will be loud. That's why I have hesitated. But the gains are proven. In my personal opinion you'd be fine with Warpspeed or Budget, no need for Catman or Stillen.

I guess an ECU IF it can be reprogrammed for the SC once you get it. As of now GForce does not. Jim Wolf might. But you also need to look into how compatible a '95/'96 ECU would be with your '97+.

If you really want, there is also NOS. I can't speak much on it though. Also, I am not too sure what the harms, if any, are of a NOS and SC combo. ? Perhaps a 50 shot would be safe. ?

That's going to be the bulk of your power right there. There are some things that I don't know much about such as anything for the 5-speed transmission, Extrude Hone Intake, MAF Sensor mod, Ignition upgrades, and some more. Perhaps someone else can add?

And then of course once you have the SC, there are things you can do. Ex. Custom Cold Air Intake, smaller Vortech pulley, etc.

Did you also need handling advice? If so, let me know and I'll outline that too. Good luck. Your car sounds really nice. Post updated pics!

If I forgot anything hopefully it will hit me and I'll add it or someone else can add to this...

Nice meeting you Ossamah, - Josh
Old 02-14-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: Done with LOOKS.. Need Help with SPEED MODS!

Exhaust isnt worth it. HP gains no more than 5-10 and at the absolute most 15 (and for 500 bucks that isnt worth it). Good pickups would be a CAI from Place Racing (5-10 HP for 200), Y-Pipe from Warpspeed (12-18 HP for 200-300), or if you have the money, just buy a damn supercharger from stillen, that'll take care of all your HP needs (3500 w/install if youre lucky).

Teddo
Old 02-14-2002, 10:16 AM
www.autotalk.com

Nice meeting you Ossamah, - Josh
Thanks josh, and same here. I am talking to people in atlanta about it too. about the y pipe stuff i dont need any suggestions SINCE my stillen ypipe, stillen b pipe and stillen muffler are ready to installed this saturday ;-)

Now lets start over again, should i get the place racing CAI? or my pop charger would do just fine?
Old 02-14-2002, 10:16 AM

Re: Re: Done with LOOKS.. Need Help with SPEED MODS!

Originally posted by max425
Exhaust isnt worth it. HP gains no more than 5-10 and at the absolute most 15 (and for 500 bucks that isnt worth it).
Teddo
if i could find any wxhaust that would produce 15hp for 500, id jump on that, you should have said no more than 8 hp when used in conjunction with other modifications. Unless you were using boost, then you could see 15 hp.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:32 AM

the catalytic converter will give u pretty much zero gains.......at most 1 HP.......the y pipe, b pipe and exhaust are pretty much the best ways to go - if u get a cai, it will give you an extra 10-15 HP, but you'll suffer in the high end part of your power band - if you get a super charger there is no point in getting a lightened flywheel(which wood help your rev)
Old 02-14-2002, 11:07 AM
Licensed to Spell

Thanks josh, and same here. I am talking to people in atlanta about it too. about the y pipe stuff i dont need any suggestions SINCE my stillen ypipe, stillen b pipe and stillen muffler are ready to installed this saturday ;-)

Now lets start over again, should i get the place racing CAI? or my pop charger would do just fine?

You lost me. We're going backwards now. Like I said before don't buy anything that will be replaced if you decide on the SC. That would include CAI. So go ahead and keep your Pop Charger for now.

Old 02-14-2002, 11:14 AM
www.autotalk.com

oh ok! my bad.. so my ypipe, bpipe and muffler are teh right things rite? wats next...
Old 02-14-2002, 11:36 AM
Licensed to Spell

oh ok! my bad.. so my ypipe, bpipe and muffler are teh right things rite? wats next...

Yeah! They're fine. You're golden. What's next? I don't know. Intake and exhaust is definately number one. So you're done there. I don't know, just choose something I or someone else mentioned. You've hit the main gains already. No more giant gains until NOS, SC.

You didn't answer me, how's your handling? Have you bought shocks/springs, FSTB, RASB, etc?
Old 02-14-2002, 11:44 AM
www.autotalk.com

gains until NOS, SC.

You didn't answer me, how's your handling? Have you bought shocks/springs, FSTB, RASB, etc?
I got Sprint/Tokicos and got a Stillen FSTB. I might get stillen RSB. I am so tempted to get stillen V2... how much it will be installed?
Old 02-14-2002, 12:19 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I got Sprint/Tokicos and got a Stillen FSTB. I might get stillen RSB. I am so tempted to get stillen V2... how much it will be installed?
anywhere around here will be in the neighborhood of a $1000. talk to jeff or bosco.

btw if you have the money for a blower why are you even wasting time order that beyatch!
Old 02-14-2002, 12:44 PM

You might wanna look into local muffler shops to make you a cat back if your intrested in one. The place near me will do it for 225 w/ resonator and labor. Not a bad way to save the $ if ya wanna get the catback gains for now but not spend the $ from your supercharger fund

SuDZ
Old 02-14-2002, 12:44 PM
www.autotalk.com

Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by nismo2020

anywhere around here will be in the neighborhood of a $1000. talk to jeff or bosco.

btw if you have the money for a blower why are you even wasting time order that beyatch!
I dont have money.. but thinking of getting it from some where ;-)
Old 02-14-2002, 12:59 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

I dont have money.. but thinking of getting it from some where ;-)
hehe thats most people on this board.

SuDZ
Old 02-14-2002, 01:11 PM
www.autotalk.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: :o)

Originally posted by SuDZ

hehe thats most people on this board.

SuDZ
NO.. i am not WISHING/ hehe
Old 02-14-2002, 01:27 PM
Licensed to Spell

You'll be just under mid $3,000s after you buy the Vortech, shipping, parts to go with it (spark plugs, loctite, tools, etc.). Stillen quoted me $800 ($80/hr x 10 hr) for the install so figure around that or possibly less locally. But don't worry about that, you're going to do it yourself anyway. I'll help you through it. If I can do it, you can do it.