4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 08:36 AM

I've got a '96 SE 5-speed. I recently purchased some VERY grippy (140 treadwear) Z-rated Michelins. I noticed a pronounced increase in body roll. Body roll is bad. I'm looking to solve this problem without sacrificing too much of the ride quality and without attracting any unwanted police attention (ie. no ground-scraping slammings).
I'm having trouble finding the best route. There are no complete anti-sway bar kits that I know of and I don't know the best setup for shocks and springs. I would be willing to lower the car slightly (1"-1.5"). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. I'm attending a Sebring Track day in December, so a new setup would have to be street AND track-worthy.
Old 11-16-2000, 10:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Couple of ideas.

You can get a rear sway bar from either Stillen or Cattman and that will significantly reduce body roll. As for springs, I've got an Eibach/Tokico setup (1.5" drop) and most people can't even tell it's lowered. You do sacrifice some ride quality with this setup, but it's not that bad. Or you could also go with Koni's (adjustable) instead of Tokico's (non-adjustable). Be sure to get front and rear strut tower braces as well. These are just a few mods to start with.
Old 11-16-2000, 10:33 AM
The missing moderator

Not sure what you mean by complete sway bar kit, but for the maxima... a rear bar is all your need.

If you want performance shocks, stay away from Tokicos... they simply do not work that well in the Maxima. Springs, Eibach or H&R... I'd say go with H&R for the best of both worlds.

-Shing

Originally posted by SleeperSE
I've got a '96 SE 5-speed. I recently purchased some VERY grippy (140 treadwear) Z-rated Michelins. I noticed a pronounced increase in body roll. Body roll is bad. I'm looking to solve this problem without sacrificing too much of the ride quality and without attracting any unwanted police attention (ie. no ground-scraping slammings).
I'm having trouble finding the best route. There are no complete anti-sway bar kits that I know of and I don't know the best setup for shocks and springs. I would be willing to lower the car slightly (1"-1.5"). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. I'm attending a Sebring Track day in December, so a new setup would have to be street AND track-worthy.
Old 11-18-2000, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Shingles
If you want performance shocks, stay away from Tokicos... they simply do not work that well in the Maxima. Springs, Eibach or H&R... I'd say go with H&R for the best of both worlds.
Shing, why do you say Tokicos don't work well with maximas? I seems many people here have them, and I am about to get a set also. What would be a good non-adjustable alternative then? Thanks...
Old 11-18-2000, 03:12 PM

As you can tell from my sig, I have some mods on my Maxima that may interest you. The Stillen stuff looks and works great. My Tokico struts and Suspension Techniques springs have been on for 3 years, and they still work great. I think the STs lowered my car about 1.4". My Maxima corners like a slot car & it looks stock: An Urban Assault Vehicle.
Old 11-18-2000, 04:57 PM

i have the H&R/Tokico, FSTB and coming RSB from stillen. Iam very happy with the ride. Its a soft ride when cruising but can be very efficiant when dipping into hard turns. I dont know why everyone here always knocks the tokico struts. I have had mine for like a year now and they ride as good as the day i got them. They were actually too tight at first but they settled in with the springs and rides awsome. I recomend it to anyone looking for a good look and ride. The Eibachs are WAY TOO STIFF, stay away by all means and Intrax, forget about it!! its like riding your car with just struts! Get a FSTB too it helps alot
good luck!
Old 11-18-2000, 08:31 PM

First off, two MUST HAVE mods. The FSTB (front strut tower bar) and the RSB (rear sway bar). They will make your car much more stable (FSTB), and reduce body roll (RSB).

As for lowering, the most compliant (nice ride) combination you can get is the H&R/Tokico combo. I have that, and the ride is acceptable most of the time, and downright harsh when the road gets bumpy. The Maxima's suspension is just not very well insulated, so all the crashes and bumps resonate through into the cabin. This will happen with any suspension setup. As for handling, I have nothing to complain about. Drove it way faster than I should have down Hwy 1 in the Marin Headlands (north of San Francisco) and the car was super stable.

Old 11-18-2000, 10:16 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by maxspeed5
Originally posted by Shingles
Shing, why do you say Tokicos don't work well with maximas? I seems many people here have them, and I am about to get a set also. What would be a good non-adjustable alternative then? Thanks...

Peopel have them because we have no other choice... well only one other, Konis. The Tokicos are WAY underdampen for aftermarket performance springs... in other words, ride sucks... car is VERY floaty with them... I hate mine... can't wait till KYB AGXs come out.

-Shing
Old 11-19-2000, 05:48 AM

As it's been mentioned, get the RSB. I sell the Stillen RSB for $224 plus s/h. The FSTB increases the vehicles structural rigidity along with reducing cowl shake (Maxima doesn't have much, if any).

As far as springs, Eibach and H&R are both great springs. The only problem is choosing a shock.. as of now, your only good choice are the Konis, and they aren't cheap
Old 11-19-2000, 04:44 PM
MILLENIUM MAX

?????????

Which one is hard to install the Koni shocks or the Koni struts on the maxima,and how about using tokico struts and koni shocks.

Old 11-19-2000, 04:59 PM

SleeperSE

I recently purchased some VERY grippy (140 treadwear) Z-rated Michelins.
What Michelins did you get?
What size?
What other tires have you used?
How do they compare?
Old 11-19-2000, 05:21 PM

I've had the Tokicos for a couple of years and am very pleased with the performance. I really can't say how they compare to the Koni's, the other option for the Maxima.
Old 11-19-2000, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.

I agree totally with Eric. Go FSTB, RSB then see if you still want springs. Thats the cheapest plus most effective route IMHO...

Wize advice.

First off, two MUST HAVE mods. The FSTB (front strut tower bar) and the RSB (rear sway bar). They will make your car much more stable (FSTB), and reduce body roll (RSB).

As for lowering, the most compliant (nice ride) combination you can get is the H&R/Tokico combo. I have that, and the ride is acceptable most of the time, and downright harsh when the road gets bumpy. The Maxima's suspension is just not very well insulated, so all the crashes and bumps resonate through into the cabin. This will happen with any suspension setup. As for handling, I have nothing to complain about. Drove it way faster than I should have down Hwy 1 in the Marin Headlands (north of San Francisco) and the car was super stable.

Old 11-19-2000, 06:13 PM

Re: ?????????

Originally posted by MILLENIUM MAX
Which one is hard to install the Koni shocks or the Koni struts on the maxima,and how about using tokico struts and koni shocks.
Shocks and Struts are almost the same thing, struts support the vehicles weight and shocks do not. It's not a question of one or the other, you buy what your car needs.