4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Do aftermarket clutch kits fix "clutch groan"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 02:32 PM
WasabiMax

Do aftermarket clutch kits fix "clutch groan"?

I'm new to the board and find it very helpful.

I have been experiencing the infamous and highly annoying "clutch groan" on my SE 5-speed. Nissan technicians don't know how to fix the problem. I searched and found many other users complaining about the clutch groan (people guessing everything from throw out bearings to clutch discs) so I guess I'm not alone. I even did some research and found a "TSB" on the clutch groan (http://www.fencoparts.com/bulletin_9924.htm).

My question for other 5-speed members is, has anyone who experienced clutch groan with the factory clutch replaced it with an aftermarket kit and FIXED the groan? If so, which clutch kit did you use?

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2002, 12:59 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: Do aftermarket clutch kits fix "clutch groan"?

i had this hideous "HOOOOOOOOOOOOONNGGGGGGGGGGGG" noise with my stock clutch/flywheel... im now on an ACT HDMM & Mueller Fly. and the noise is gone, but the pedal movement is 10x harder.

trade off i suppose..

--Cheston

Originally posted by WasabiMax
I'm new to the board and find it very helpful.

I have been experiencing the infamous and highly annoying "clutch groan" on my SE 5-speed. Nissan technicians don't know how to fix the problem. I searched and found many other users complaining about the clutch groan (people guessing everything from throw out bearings to clutch discs) so I guess I'm not alone. I even did some research and found a "TSB" on the clutch groan (http://www.fencoparts.com/bulletin_9924.htm).

My question for other 5-speed members is, has anyone who experienced clutch groan with the factory clutch replaced it with an aftermarket kit and FIXED the groan? If so, which clutch kit did you use?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:59 AM

i have the same groan when i dont give it much gass when takeing off in first
get the revs up to 1500-1800 then take off letting the clutch out alitle slower
see if that helps

Jason
Old 02-19-2002, 10:02 AM
I'm so hood

I could never get people to discuss clutch groaning on this board when I used to post more....everyone just ignored and talked about clutch chatter instead, which I guess are two entirely different things...

I typically rev around 1k-1,200k when I take off in first. If my clutch is just "low" enough, at this range, I can hold my foot on the gas and clutch at the same point and listen to it rumble (I can do this especially on hills, where I don't move if I feather like this) until I lift a tiny bit further off the clutch...

There's really no give in between the "rumble" range and just past it on my clutch, and then the clutch full release point. It seems less present/able to happen when I rev a bit higher. Also, rarely when I shift at high RPMs (close to redline...I barely ever do this anyways), I notice the clutch squeak/groan when I slam the pedal. I've heard it once or twice...lastly, when it "rumbles", I can hear it and feel it in the clutch pedal.

The clutch really doesn't seem to slip at all. Its like it's just an annoyance. I'd like to know if I replaced it with an OEM clutch, if the rumble is just characteristic of the stock clutch, and would be back soon, or if there's a small part acting up (ie, throw-out bearing, etc) that may be the culprit?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:42 PM
WasabiMax

Thanks for the replies everyone. If the noise persists, I may have to take Cheston's advice and install a lightweight flywheel and aftermarket clutch.

Thanks for the advice, Cheston. (By the way, I think I saw you (your car) on Sunset Blvd the other day near UCLA...NICE ride!)