4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rough ride with 18's ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 04:00 PM

Rough ride with 18's ????

Everyone has been telling me that 18's will ride rough,
and that I better get 17's for a good ride!!! Is this SO!?
The tires I want are 225/40/18 or 235/40/18 what is best??
Old 02-19-2002, 04:03 PM

get 18's.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you get 18"s get 235/40/18. They're really not that rough
-hype
Old 02-19-2002, 05:00 PM

come on guys I know there is alot of you that have 18's out there
so please help me out!!! I must have really bad luck cause evertime I post something only a few will reply!!!! PLEASE HELP ME OUT BEFORE I BUY SOMETHING I DON'T NEED TO BUY!!!! Thanks to the guy that have and will post to this.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:24 PM

Go with 18's and forget the opinons!!!! 235/40 or 245/40

Originally posted by superdopermax

Forget the BS about rough ride thats just a bunch of BS opinion dont always go what people say be like DONT LOWER YOU CAR, DONT CUT YOUR SPRINGS AND SO ON......if someone can fit 21's you can go with an 18. If looks is your priority go with the 18, if you dont care then go with a 17x8. 225 is way too small 235 is right but you can go with 245/40 18 like a couple of us more rubber dont hurts just puts more rubber on the pavement. Do not hold out on tires and wheels they cost a lot, if you pay say $9.00 more you can go from a 18x7.5 to a 18x8, or same with tires. Complaints come from coilovers or some rocket scientist who didnt want to pay an additional amount of money to go with the right size tire, or they just live in pothole kingdom and I live in pothole kingdom but you never see me complain.
Old 02-19-2002, 06:11 PM

I really don't think the ride is that rough, but I'm also not lowered. I will be in 2 weeks though, so it's not a huge deal to me. 235/40/18 is the recommended size so your speedo is on (even though it's not that off with 245), and you don't want too wide of a tire so you can still drive in the rain. Tires are VERY expensive, and 18"s are not the wheels to go curb jumping in. I put my 16"s on in the winter/spring even though I live in TX so that I burn less tread on the street/track, and so my traction is better in the occasional snow and rain. My 16" Kumhos cost $300/set whereas my 18"s Nittos cost $750. Just a few things to consider.
-hype
Old 02-19-2002, 06:41 PM

compared to the stock 16" wheel.....the 18's will be rougher....nothing to terrible bad....but there is definetly a difference....you will feel more imperfections in the road....but its not that bad....
Old 02-19-2002, 08:09 PM

Yea, get 18's, and if your really concerned about an uncomfortable ride, get 245/40/18 tires like me and JAY25. I got my set of Kumhos from tirerack.com for $535 shipped. The ride is perfect. 18's are basically right in the middle of sacrificing performance for looks, where 17's are somewhat not that big of a difference from the stock wheel size. Of course the bigger the wheel the more imperfections you'll feel. Lately I've been thinking about 19's since I've been more about show with little go, but I remember when I had 17's I wanted to inch up, I think that's how I am feeling now with the 18's, but I think I'm just getting greedy because 18's are just right.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:21 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

BTW 17's or 18's don't really matter it's the TIRE more than the rim. Typically a 18 is 225/40zr18 where a 17 is 225/45zr17

It's the sidewall hieght and the type of tire you have. The high preformance tires are a rougher ride than a luxury tire.

I ride on 18's and It's not to bad
Old 02-19-2002, 08:22 PM
Sports Button FTW

i got heavy chrome 18's, same ride if not better, just make u a little slower if u mess wit chromes but no difference and i like the ride....
Old 02-19-2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by bags533
BTW 17's or 18's don't really matter it's the TIRE more than the rim. Typically a 18 is 225/40zr18 where a 17 is 225/45zr17

It's the sidewall hieght and the type of tire you have. The high preformance tires are a rougher ride than a luxury tire.

less sidewall means the tire is going to absorb less....which means a harsher ride....but you won't really notice it unless your lowered...and then that depends on how low you are....

definetly go w/18s though!

i love mine
Old 02-19-2002, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by bags533

225 sidewall height is too small for a 18, youll dent your wheels with that size tire if you hit a pothole, now if you go 225/50 18 thats a different story it will look ugly and nasty but 245 gives you that .2 or .3MM sidewall height as well as width. And 245 does not throw your speedometer whomever said that is full of it, if you go to the tire manufacturers website it will give you specs on all tire diameters etc.. so 245 is just fine. If that was the case I would have got plenty of speeding tickets or I would only have like 45,000 miles on my car. But not my car is yours go with everyones opinion or be different and try something new out.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:30 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

Originally posted by pawn

less sidewall means the tire is going to absorb less....which means a harsher ride....
Thought I said that???
Old 02-19-2002, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

225 sidewall height is too small for a 18, youll dent your wheels with that size tire if you hit a pothole, now if you go 225/50 18 thats a different story it will look ugly and nasty but 245 gives you that .2 or .3MM sidewall height as well as width. And 245 does not throw your speedometer whomever said that is full of it, if you go to the tire manufacturers website it will give you specs on all tire diameters etc.. so 245 is just fine. If that was the case I would have got plenty of speeding tickets or I would only have like 45,000 miles on my car. But not my car is yours go with everyones opinion or be different and try something new out.
225 isn't the sidewall.....the middle # is the sidewall height....the first one is the width
Old 02-19-2002, 08:32 PM

OT...

less sidewall means the tire is going to absorb less....which means a harsher ride....but you won't really notice it unless your lowered...and then that depends on how low you are....

definetly go w/18s though!

i love mine
Man, your ride is low!
Old 02-19-2002, 08:35 PM

Re: OT...

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
Man, your ride is low!

thanks....you should see the light glow kit.....its soo close to the ground it really illuminates
Old 02-19-2002, 08:45 PM
VG Ridah's Biatch Hoe

225 isn't the sidewall.....the middle # is the sidewall height....the first one is the width

Jay pawn is correct... the middle number is the aspect ratio.

But your correct in your thinking that if the tire is to small pothole = bent rim
Old 02-19-2002, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

Jay 235 IS closer than 245 on the speedo. We're only talking .8mph at 60, but it's still further from the stock number. Your odometer will read slightly higher as will your speedo (especially at higher speeds since they're not accurate anyway). I usually recommend 235s because the radius is the same as stock wheels and because wider tires are more likely to hydro in the rain.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
-hype
Old 02-20-2002, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by xHypex

Jay 235 IS closer than 245 on the speedo. We're only talking .8mph at 60, but it's still further from the stock number. Your odometer will read slightly higher as will your speedo (especially at higher speeds since they're not accurate anyway). I usually recommend 235s because the radius is the same as stock wheels and because wider tires are more likely to hydro in the rain.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
-hype
Sorry n3wb question here. But basically the wider the tire the more water I spit out? I assumed it would be the other way around.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Finality

Sorry n3wb question here. But basically the wider the tire the more water I spit out? I assumed it would be the other way around.
"Contact Patch:
Contact patch is probably the most misunderstood aspect of a tires' function. Basically it is the tires' foot print; or in the terms of an often-used phrase, it is where the rubber meets the road.

Contact patch is directly related to tire size and shape. Tires with high aspect ration have long, narrow contact patches and low profile tires have wide, short contact patches. In the latter case, the wide patch combined with the short, slightly flexing sidewall; is responsible for superior handling, stability and traction. On wet roads, these same qualities may become a 'negative', as a wide tire tends to hydroplane much faster then a narrow tire. That is, they may tend to ride 'on top' of the water and not the road. This is often a disaster waiting to happen. Most tire companies take great pains to try to engineer water dispersing tread patterns into their low profile, performance tires."
http://www.tirecradle.com/tirefacts.htm

-hype
Old 02-20-2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by xHypex

"Contact Patch:
Contact patch is probably the most misunderstood aspect of a tires' function. Basically it is the tires' foot print; or in the terms of an often-used phrase, it is where the rubber meets the road.

Contact patch is directly related to tire size and shape. Tires with high aspect ration have long, narrow contact patches and low profile tires have wide, short contact patches. In the latter case, the wide patch combined with the short, slightly flexing sidewall; is responsible for superior handling, stability and traction. On wet roads, these same qualities may become a 'negative', as a wide tire tends to hydroplane much faster then a narrow tire. That is, they may tend to ride 'on top' of the water and not the road. This is often a disaster waiting to happen. Most tire companies take great pains to try to engineer water dispersing tread patterns into their low profile, performance tires."
http://www.tirecradle.com/tirefacts.htm

-hype
Very interesting so I suppose the only way to get around this is simply to get a high rated low profile tire that can handle the wet weather.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:20 AM

Can you fit 235/40/18 on 18x7?
Old 02-20-2002, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by cmcknite
Can you fit 235/40/18 on 18x7?
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....highlight=18x7
Vic did it, but it still might be a little wide. The worst thing that would happen is you'd get a sidewall bulge. You may want to search to see who has 18x7 as I'm not very familiar with that sized wheel.
-hype
Old 02-20-2002, 12:01 PM

Re: OT...

Although 18" look of course better, it's truth that the increase in the speed is just little slower, BTW 17" are cheaper and if you don't buy low profile tires you'll enjoy 17 more.

Not just my opinion. I've heard it before.
If you get a good deal, let me know, coz I'm also looking for rims.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:26 PM

Thanks guys for the info. I know there was so nice people
out there!!!!!!! I plan on getting 235/40/18 and slap'em
on a set of RH Evoluton D6000 or Konig Verdict. Thanks again
for the info.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:38 PM
KCTYPHOON

Re: Rough ride with 18's ????

let me just please say this much because i didnt notice anyone else explain this to you. the BIGGEST thing that will affect your ride is not the size of the rim, but the size of the tire and most importantly THE BRAND OF TIRE. i can tell you from experience that if ride quality is a factor, stay away from sport tires that have reinforced sidewalls. a set of 17's with those will ride worse than a set of 18's with good tires. what you want to get is a set of quality tires that are soft, so they DO absorb the road bumps. toyo's and nitto's are probably the two best to get. they are expensive, but this is something you will notice and appreciate EVERY TIME you drive the car. some people may say you will bend you rims easier with a soft tire. if you hit a pothole hard enough, most likely the rim will bend no matter what tire you have on it. the hard tires also tend to bubble on the sidewalls too.. i had 18x8.5" rims with h&r's/kyb's/fstb/rsb and a box with 4 10's in my trunk that weighs 117 lbs in itself. my car rode "good" considering all i have done. minus the box and the control bars, the car only rides slightly different than when i had my 16's on. the tires i have are toyo proxes pxfz4 245/40zr18. i highly recomend them if you want your 18's to ride good.

Old 02-20-2002, 05:08 PM

Re: Re: Rough ride with 18's ????

Ok, then what about Michelin Energy?
They are also good, aren't they. Well comparing to Dunlops, and all that stuff.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Rough ride with 18's ????

Originally posted by Mikesburn
I liked my Michelin MXV4 Energy's when I had them, but that was also on my 16"s. They are supposed to be very quiet tires overall. I think that's their marketing point.
-hype
Old 02-20-2002, 05:23 PM
KCTYPHOON

Re: Re: Re: Rough ride with 18's ????

Originally posted by Mikesburn
i cant say yes or no first hand, because i have never had them. also, if someone else in here has had them, i doubt they've had nitto's or toyo's. compare prices. that should give you some kind of comparison. dont go cheap on tires i cant stress that enough. if you want to have big rims and a good ride you gotta spend the $$$$$.. the tires a have i think go for about 200 each. mabye that can give you somethin to go on.. also, what else is done to your car??? thats important too.. if it not lowered you wouldnt have to buy the "really" expenisive ones(id still recommend it though). your stock suspension is still soft, but like i said earlier tires WILL make the biggest difference. even if your not lowered, after you put rims on, you'll want to be. h&r's are 30% stiffer than your stock springs. eibach's are 50% stiffer. than you have stiffer struts-- see where this is leading?? i cant say this enough.. SPEND THE MONEY AND GET GOOD TIRES. you'll thank yourself for doing it everytime you drive the car.

Old 02-20-2002, 05:27 PM
KCTYPHOON

Re: Re: OT...

thanks....you should see the light glow kit.....its soo close to the ground it really illuminates
pawn, what suspension setup are you using?

Old 02-20-2002, 06:19 PM
FJC

Thanks guys for the info. I know there was so nice people
out there!!!!!!! I plan on getting 235/40/18 and slap'em
on a set of RH Evoluton D6000 or Konig Verdict. Thanks again
for the info.
There ya' go superdoper. Do you slang? J/K...

Anyway, good to go with the 18's. I have 235/40/18 Kumho's on 18 x 8 OZ Antares....
Old 02-20-2002, 06:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: OT...

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
pawn, what suspension setup are you using?

in that pic its weapon r coilovers and koni struts....but im getting airbags installed as we speak!
Old 02-20-2002, 06:58 PM
KCTYPHOON

Re: Re: Re: Re: OT...

in that pic its weapon r coilovers and koni struts....but im getting airbags installed as we speak!
how bad does it ride?? the v1's are 18" rite?

Old 02-20-2002, 07:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OT...

Originally posted by KCTYPHOON
how bad does it ride?? the v1's are 18" rite?
ya there 18's....the ride isn't that bad at all....stiff, but not too stiff