4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

front sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 05:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

front sway bar

why dont we have/use these again? i know 3rd gens do, do they not make it for our car or do we not need it?
Old 02-19-2002, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: front sway bar

Well the Maxima being a front wheel drive car understeers already. Adding a front sway bar will only make that understeer worse. I know with a lot of VW tuners they say after adding a rear sway bar to a Jetta or GTI they actually advise you to try taking the factory front sway bar off because without it, supposedly they handle better afterwards.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:57 PM

thats a very good point never thought of it that way, what ive heard is to add like a suspension techniques one in front which is lighter then the addco in back so it does have more in the back, i see what ur saying though, but do they make them in front for our cars?
Old 02-19-2002, 08:02 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
but do they make them in front for our cars?
No.
Old 02-20-2002, 03:47 AM

Naww I have never seen a front sway bar for the max. I would say just get a rear sway bar and stut tower braces in the front and back and you'll probably get a lot of improvement without degrading ride quality at all.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:47 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You can always just upgrade the bushings on the factory sway bar. Courtesy Nissan sells them. I changed mine when I put the AGX's in. It only takes 5 minutes to change them, the factory ones get all compressed pretty quick.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:57 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
You can always just upgrade the bushings on the factory sway bar. Courtesy Nissan sells them. I changed mine when I put the AGX's in. It only takes 5 minutes to change them, the factory ones get all compressed pretty quick.
Thats what I was about to say, Max's do have front sway bars.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:35 AM

actually, if you go to the courtesy nissan website, there's a energy suspension front sway bar on there for sale. maybe somehow, someway, it's a mistake listing, but it's on there along with energy suspension bushings..
Old 02-20-2002, 08:13 AM

And a rear one. Both stock.

DW

Originally posted by deezo
Thats what I was about to say, Max's do have front sway bars.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:25 AM

njmax looking at the website they offer the following
Front Sway bar (bushing I'm assuming) and Front Sway Bar End Link (bushings) (1 per order, 4 needed). What exactly is the difference between these 2 energy products and which did you replace? I may as well go ahead and do it, but I don't know exactly what the parts are and where they go. Could you give a simple description for me?
Thanks.
-hype

http://www.courtesyparts.com/energys...on/maxima.html
Old 02-20-2002, 11:51 AM
MDr

7-5118 is the D bushings just put them on last weekedn.
What does Courtesy mean one/order 4 needed on endlink bushings?

Originally posted by JDM4LIFE
actually, if you go to the courtesy nissan website, there's a energy suspension front sway bar on there for sale. maybe somehow, someway, it's a mistake listing, but it's on there along with energy suspension bushings..
Old 02-20-2002, 11:53 AM

Pretty good speed on your speedometer, but why are you low on fuel???
Old 02-20-2002, 12:42 PM

Would the radial arms that warpspeed is working on serve as a semi front strut bar as well?

SuDZ
Old 02-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by xHypex

njmax looking at the website they offer the following
Front Sway bar (bushing I'm assuming) and Front Sway Bar End Link (bushings) (1 per order, 4 needed). What exactly is the difference between these 2 energy products and which did you replace? I may as well go ahead and do it, but I don't know exactly what the parts are and where they go. Could you give a simple description for me?
Thanks.
It's the end link bushings you want. You need 4 of them. Two for each side. They sandwich the end of the sway bar onto a link which connects to your lower control arm. It's really very simple. You can actually see it without jacking up your car. Turn the steering wheel full lock to the right. Take a look behind the left front wheel. You will see a bar that comes from behind the engine, attached to the fire wall. It attaches to the lower control arm via a link. The link looks like a bolt sticking straight up from the lower control arm. You'll see the two bushings connecting the end of the sway bar like a sandwich. Those are the bushings you need to change. I think it's just a 10 or 12mm nut on top. You need to take both side off at the same time. Both front wheels should be off the ground as well or you'll never get the bar to move. Remember it control body roll, so if one side is lifted up, the other goes up with it. Keep that in mind when you try to lift one side out. The other side needs to come up at the same time. Make sense?
Old 02-20-2002, 01:16 PM
I'm needing a caw

For those who have installed them, how is the handling/turning response like now??
Old 02-20-2002, 02:26 PM

Both front wheels should be off the ground as well or you'll never get the bar to move. Remember it control body roll, so if one side is lifted up, the other goes up with it. Keep that in mind when you try to lift one side out. The other side needs to come up at the same time. Make sense?
That kinda made sense njmax, but since I've never taken apart my suspension I still don't have a firm concept of the control arms and such. You said that the Front Sway Bar End Link bushings were the ones I want, but MDr said he got the other set (that just says Front Sway Bar). Since I have everything apart and the wheels will be off I figure I may as well get the bushings. So your reccomendation is to just get the endlinks? Sorry for all the questions My car isn't going to feel the same at all and I won't know what was from the shocks/springs or what was from the bushings. I'm also putting in a SMC STS so this is a major install.
-hype