4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Driver door light broken?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 04:48 PM

Driver door light broken?

You know the little lights on the drivers and passengers doors? Well the one on the drivers side was burnt out, so I tried to replace it with a new one and it still won't work? I was wondering if any one else has had this problem and if so, how to rectify the situation? Thanx
Old 02-23-2002, 04:51 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Driver door light broken?

check the fuse
Old 02-23-2002, 09:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I went through a really long ordeal with the door lights one time in the past.

It turned out to be a defective master door control switch and it cost me a couple of hundred dollars to get it diagnosed and repaired by the dealer.

They had a hard time figuring it out, and eventually they swapped a master door control switch in and found that it fixed it.

Apparently, the door lights are wired into these door switches.

I would recommend buying a master door control switch from the junkyard to save money and try swapping it in.

I could be wrong about your particular problem, but fixing mine was a nightmare, and I went ahead and sunk the cash into it because I want everything on my car to be in working order.

White96MaxSE
Old 02-24-2002, 10:18 AM

Re: Re: Driver door light broken?

Originally posted by NickStam
check the fuse
Do you know where the master door switch is? That would help greatly cause I want my driver door light you dig? I just put these cool blue bulbs in and the one that works looks really neat.
-THanx
Old 02-24-2002, 09:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Driver door light broken?

Originally posted by Joseph77

Do you know where the master door switch is? That would help greatly cause I want my driver door light you dig? I just put these cool blue bulbs in and the one that works looks really neat.
-THanx
I guess I should search for the correct name for it, but the master door control switch I am talking about is the master control unit on your driver's door that has the up/down controls for rolling windows up and down, for locking all of the doors, green LEDs,etc.

Go ask the dealer how much that unit is and you will see what I mean as far as price is for replacing it with a new one.

Consult a manual before you try to remove it because you can really screw up your door if your not careful.

Like I say I'm not sure of your situation so you should move slowly and get some more input from others on the .org and see if someone that can help troubleshoot this will add their advice before you start or you could damage more expensive parts.

Mine all started when the light bulb on the driver's side went out and I tried to replace the bulb, but a new bulb wouldn't work in the fixture. Swapping the fixture to the other side and the other side worked still which eliminated the fixture itself. For some strange reason I think there was supposed to be 5 volts there, but there was only 3.5 volts or something like that.

I ended up replacing the master control switch (or whatever its name is) on the driver's side and then the windows even started acting up and I had to replace the passenger's side control switch too.

Good Luck and try to get more advice before acting.

White96MaxSE
Old 03-09-2002, 09:34 AM

I'm having the same problem only the passenger side isn't working. Should I replace the master or the passenger side switch? I checked the wiring inside the passenger door and it looks fine but I don't get full voltage to the door light socket.
Old 03-09-2002, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Freedog
I'm having the same problem only the passenger side isn't working. Should I replace the master or the passenger side switch? I checked the wiring inside the passenger door and it looks fine but I don't get full voltage to the door light socket.
If I were you I would try to get a swap of a known good passenger side switch to see if it fixes it if possible.

If this isn't easy to get done, then try to buy the passenger side switch from the junkyard (electrical is never refundable, so pick a car new to the yard in fairly good shape on the passenger side to get the switch if you can. Some places still let you go to the yard yourself and try swapping it in to see if it fixes the light in the door.

White96MaxSE
Old 03-09-2002, 04:06 PM

The step lamps at the bottom of the doors gets a ground signal from the LCU (local control units) There is one in each door with 3 being the same and the one in the drivers door being slightly different and having more controls. The LCU's all talk to each other through data lines. The drivers door lcu controls that doors light, and the passengers lcu controls that doors light. Do you have access to a multimeter? If so, you can measure the lamp socket for voltage. If there is no voltage accross the pins try placing one of your leads to chassis ground then meter between the pins to see if you can find a positive one. If you do find a positive one mark it - If this is the case, it will mean that you have + power there but are missing the - power that gets supplied by the lcu. If you have no positive you may want to check the wiring behind the door panel for a break. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
The step lamps at the bottom of the doors gets a ground signal from the LCU (local control units) There is one in each door with 3 being the same and the one in the drivers door being slightly different and having more controls. The LCU's all talk to each other through data lines. The drivers door lcu controls that doors light, and the passengers lcu controls that doors light. Do you have access to a multimeter? If so, you can measure the lamp socket for voltage. If there is no voltage accross the pins try placing one of your leads to chassis ground then meter between the pins to see if you can find a positive one. If you do find a positive one mark it - If this is the case, it will mean that you have + power there but are missing the - power that gets supplied by the lcu. If you have no positive you may want to check the wiring behind the door panel for a break. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Toolrocks, Thanks for coming in an shedding some light on this problem. I'm sure these guys will appreciate it and I am glad to know more about what was going on with this.

White96MaxSE
Old 03-10-2002, 05:59 AM

Outstanding! Thanks Toolrocks. The information is very hepful. Responses like yours is exactly why I monitor these forums.