4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

4th gen. Audio Question....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002, 04:24 PM

4th gen. Audio Question....

I am in the process of upgrading my stereo...Head Unit, speakers, amp, subs, the whole deal... I have a 98 SE with the BOSE, does this car have seperate amps for the BOSE system like my 3rd gen. did, and will it have a whining noise like my 3rd gen.....2- What size are the speakers ( front and rear ) And can you guys recomend any speakers...Anything esle I need to know about the stereo that I need to know ??? Thanks for the help...I posted this in the Audio section, but I got no answers...
Old 02-26-2002, 05:01 PM

Each speaker has its own amp, thats correct. Each amp is really expensive so be careful with it.

Specify what you mean by whining noise...

I believe its 5 1/4 in front, 6 1/2 in the rear
Old 02-26-2002, 05:01 PM

I don't have the Bose system, so I don't know about the separate amp question, but the speaker sizes should be the same. The Max has four 6.75" (round) speakers, so without too much (or any) modification, you should be able to get some standard 6.5" or 6.75" speakers in there. Crutchfield is a good audio reference site (even if you don't end up buying from them) - they'll let you search for speakers and such that fit your car. Are you going for a huge system or do you just want something that sounds good? If you're looking for something outlandish, you'll have to do some tearing up of stuff to get all the equipment in there.

I replaced my head unit w/ a Kenwood a few months ago and only recently have noticed a whine, which is kind of annoying, so I may have to spend some time trying to figure out where that's coming from. Maybe I didn't notice it before because I was always listening to loud music, or maybe it's only just started, I'm not sure. It's really only noticeable when you're listening to soft music, though, so just turn it up.
Old 02-26-2002, 05:31 PM

Re: 4th gen. Audio Question....

Originally posted by Black90SE
I am in the process of upgrading my stereo...Head Unit, speakers, amp, subs, the whole deal... I have a 98 SE with the BOSE, does this car have seperate amps for the BOSE system like my 3rd gen. did, and will it have a whining noise like my 3rd gen.....2- What size are the speakers ( front and rear ) And can you guys recomend any speakers...Anything esle I need to know about the stereo that I need to know ??? Thanks for the help...I posted this in the Audio section, but I got no answers...
it's 6.5" all around. front and rear
Old 02-26-2002, 05:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used to have horrible whining noise.....and after months of dealing with it, have figured out...that 95% of the time, it is a bad ground....look at that as the problem first....
Old 02-26-2002, 05:56 PM
Sports Button FTW

lol, i remember when i had my speakers, i blew them sh*ts, i mean i litterally put a big a$$ hole in them and they were making this horrible sound...only one of my front speakers survived but changed it anyway cause it wasn't long before it was going to die on me too....and mine looked exactly like the ones posted above....they make good sound better than my new ones due to my weak head unit but they all paper made, look so cheap compared to my rubber MTX 6X9's in the back and (forget size) in front.....
Old 02-26-2002, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Re: 4th gen. Audio Question....

they are 6 1/2S all around.. which means they are a little bigger than 6 1/2's but 6 1/2's fit anyway..

your noise was probably due to your altenator.. or incorrect amp wiring..

when you wire your amp.. run it along the side of the car.. and run your RCA cables down the middle

these might help you out also..

Old 02-27-2002, 09:14 AM

Thanks for all the help guys....What about hooking up an amp and subs to the stock BOSE headunit ?? Advantages / Disadvantages ??
Old 02-27-2002, 09:28 AM
MaximaFreak

Thanks for all the help guys....What about hooking up an amp and subs to the stock BOSE headunit ?? Advantages / Disadvantages ??
Disadvantage is that you will need a line level converter and you will not get as clean a signal as you would with a high voltage pre-out. This will "dirty" up the signal and you will have to crank higher for the same sound. You will possibly induce noise into your system and you will definitely not get the same sound as with a pre-out. Spend the extra money on a head unit, it will make for easier expansion later, and if you get a single DIN unt, you can get an extra pocket for below the radio for storage
Old 02-27-2002, 09:38 AM

Yeah, I have the head unit, I am just worried about having the car taken apart...It's so tight and quiet...I dint want to mess with that...but, I'm gonna get 4 new speakers, the HU and amp subs all installed....But should I have the BOSE amps bypassed like I did in my 90 Max ??
Old 02-27-2002, 09:57 AM
MaximaFreak

Yeah, I have the head unit, I am just worried about having the car taken apart...It's so tight and quiet...I dint want to mess with that...but, I'm gonna get 4 new speakers, the HU and amp subs all installed....But should I have the BOSE amps bypassed like I did in my 90 Max ??
Absolutely.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:11 AM

yeah, bypass them and remove them. They're dead weight. PLus depending on what kind of speakers you get you can mount the crossovers in the factory amp locations.