4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cutting new springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 10:09 AM

cutting new springs?

i should be getting some maxspeed springs in the mail...what are the dangers or what could happen if i cut a coil or two off and how do i cut the coil off...should i cut just one or two off. will cutting the coil mess up my car in any way?

thanks
Old 02-27-2002, 10:39 AM
MaximaFreak

Re: cutting new springs?

Originally posted by euromaxima
i should be getting some maxspeed springs in the mail...what are the dangers or what could happen if i cut a coil or two off and how do i cut the coil off...should i cut just one or two off. will cutting the coil mess up my car in any way?

thanks
It won't hurt your car I don't think. It may hurt your struts but it will definitely degrade ride quality as you will be bouncing all around as your springs will not retain the spring rate they were intended for. If you want lower, get coilovers ... don't pull a Tampa Ricer Civic move and cut your springs, I BEG you.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:00 AM

Re: Re: cutting new springs?

Originally posted by Big_Ham

It won't hurt your car I don't think. It may hurt your struts but it will definitely degrade ride quality as you will be bouncing all around as your springs will not retain the spring rate they were intended for. If you want lower, get coilovers ... don't pull a Tampa Ricer Civic move and cut your springs, I BEG you.
Slow down there partner....

I've cut my springs and have had them cut for over 60k miles, and not a single problem has occured yet. There is no bounce, no brake dive, no acceleration lift or body roll.....just a stiff spring and ride.

It's a cheaper soultion than not using your current ones and buying new springs or coilovers.

A competent shop will tell you how many coils per inch drop for that specific spring you can expect. But DON'T go cut crazy and slam your car by cutting too many coils....by doing that, you the structural integrety of the spring will will diminsh and spring failure could happen. 1-3 coils MAX.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:03 AM
www.autotalk.com

Re: Re: Re: cutting new springs?

Originally posted by Str8ridin

I've cut my springs and have had them cut for over 60k miles,
Check with Nizmo95 on the southeast board. He cut his factory springs too. I have rode in his car and no difference but a stiffer ride. I am thinking of going the same route too
Old 02-27-2002, 12:19 PM

Just cut one if your gonna to start. That way there you can always go back and do more later if you want but your not going crazy and then be stuck with a bad ride.

SuDZ
Old 02-27-2002, 12:25 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

to be on the safe side

you should invest in some aftermarket shocks/struts. the factories will not last long w/ the cut springs.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:30 PM

if you cut more than 2 coils, you bought the wrong set of springs.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:21 PM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: Re: cutting new springs?

Originally posted by Str8ridin

I've cut my springs and have had them cut for over 60k miles, and not a single problem has occured yet. There is no bounce, no brake dive, no acceleration lift or body roll.....just a stiff spring and ride.

It's a cheaper soultion than not using your current ones and buying new springs or coilovers.

A competent shop will tell you how many coils per inch drop for that specific spring you can expect. But DON'T go cut crazy and slam your car by cutting too many coils....by doing that, you the structural integrety of the spring will will diminsh and spring failure could happen. 1-3 coils MAX.
So then let me ask you a question ... if there are no poor side effects to this, then why doesn't everyone just cut their springs? Why buy aftermarket springs if you can achieve similar results???(stiffer ride, no nose diving while breaking, asthetics) I'm not educated enough to dispute what you are saying but I live by the rule of thumb that if it seems too good to be true, it usually is.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: cutting new springs?

So then let me ask you a question ... if there are no poor side effects to this, then why doesn't everyone just cut their springs? Why buy aftermarket springs if you can achieve similar results???(stiffer ride, no nose diving while breaking, asthetics) I'm not educated enough to dispute what you are saying but I live by the rule of thumb that if it seems too good to be true, it usually is.
I cut my aftermarket springs (Eibach Sport, 2 coils). I also have Tokico shocks. I do not condone cutting a stock spring.

To answer your question, the reason why everybody doesn't cut them is because there are side effects. Ride quality and spring longevity. It handles like a race car, but also produces the ride quality of one as well (i.e pretty harsh). Also, the life expectancy of the spring MAY diminish quicker than that of an uncut spring.

So, those two factors alone prevent people from cutting their springs.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:08 PM

I cut my ST springs and the the performance is unmatched, but the ride makes me want to go back to stock some times. But the roads suck here in Golden.
Old 02-27-2002, 02:27 PM

So what are u gonna do with the WR in konis now that u got Bags?
Old 02-27-2002, 02:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: cutting new springs?

If done properly, everything is fine. But most people do not do it properly. Cutting a stock spring is a big no-no. Cutting an aftermarket spring with a higher spring rate can be ok if you know what you're doing. Cutting springs has gotten a bad rap because of the morons that cut like half of their stock spring off. They're the ones bouncing all over the road.

Old 02-27-2002, 03:31 PM

Re: Re: cutting new springs?

Originally posted by slammed95

I have the maxspeed springs, and the car doesn't really looked lowered with them unless it's compared to a stock maxima. I just reinstalled the rear springs about an hour ago because I had them cut this morning. I had a shop cut exactly 1 1/2 coils from the top of the rear springs only. Ride quality is exactly the same, but it's just about 1 inch lower. The top 4 coils of the rear springs rest on top of each other when installed, and there cutting part of them doesn't affect handling.
what about the front did you cut the front also.......do you have any pics of what the drop after the cut looks like.... where can i get some struts from at a good price..
thanks
Old 02-27-2002, 07:50 PM

Just to let everyone know, cutting your springs will get you a stiffer ride because it changes the spring rate. Spring rate is determined by the thickness and material of the spring as well as the number of active coils and the spacing between active coils. When you cut the spring, you diminish the number of active coils, thereby increasing the spring rate. It is safe to cut 1 to 3 coils off of a spring, but make sure that the cuts are even or else you risk drivability problems as well as premature tire wear.