4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Power Antenna problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 05:33 AM
jsr0367

Power Antenna problems...

I have a '97 Max SE with the non-Bose system. The power antenna seems to stop retracting once it gets to the last fatter section. I am not keen an paying the dealer >$200 to replace the antenna.

I am curious to know...

Has anyone ever replaced the power antenna with aftermarket? And what brands work best?

Is there a quick fix for this issue?

Also, how difficult is it to replace the mast of the antenna if this is my only option.

Any advice would be grand.

John

Old 02-28-2002, 06:55 AM

sr0367: About you Power Antenna problems... >>

Originally posted by jsr0367
I have a '97 Max SE with the non-Bose system. The power antenna seems to stop retracting once it gets to the last fatter section. I am not keen an paying the dealer >$200 to replace the antenna.

I am curious to know...

Has anyone ever replaced the power antenna with aftermarket? And what brands work best?

Also, how difficult is it to replace the mast of the antenna if this is my only option.

John
You probably need a new mast assembly. A mast assembly consists of the telescoping tube you see on the outside and a plastic rack gear. This gear mates to a pinion gear inside the motor assembly. When the motor turns the pinion, it axially displaces the rack gear which is connected to the tip of the antenna tube, pulling it down or pushing it up. This is similar to a rack and pinion steering system most casrs use. A new mast assembly should be about $35 from the dealer.

You'll need undo the special nut which is one with the two slots at the base of the antenna on the rear quarter panel. Once this nut is loose, you can gently pull the mast assembly and feed in the new one. You might want to check with your parts department as most of them are helpful IF you show knowledge of what you are doing.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:25 AM
jsr0367

Re: sr0367: About you Power Antenna problems... >>

Will I need a special tool to manipulate this 'special nut'? Is there an exploded diagram view of this unit?

Thanks for your help.

John

Originally posted by Albertt

You probably need a new mast assembly. A mast assembly consists of the telescoping tube you see on the outside and a plastic rack gear. This gear mates to a pinion gear inside the motor assembly. When the motor turns the pinion, it axially displaces the rack gear which is connected to the tip of the antenna tube, pulling it down or pushing it up. This is similar to a rack and pinion steering system most casrs use. A new mast assembly should be about $35 from the dealer.

You'll need undo the special nut which is one with the two slots at the base of the antenna on the rear quarter panel. Once this nut is loose, you can gently pull the mast assembly and feed in the new one. You might want to check with your parts department as most of them are helpful IF you show knowledge of what you are doing.

Old 02-28-2002, 07:34 AM

jsr0367: Tooling >>

Will I need a special tool to manipulate this 'special nut'? Is there an exploded diagram view of this unit?

Thanks for your help.

John

There probably is a special tool, but a pair of sharp needle-nose pliers might be able to do the trick.

If you want to see an exploded view, you can go the part department, and tell them that you know what to do, but you can't decribe the part. Without asking, the associate should turn his monitor around and bring up an exploded view. This has been my experience. If you remind me with an e-mail, I can try and check my FSM for an exploded view.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:40 AM

Re: jsr0367: Tooling >>

I also replaced my atenna a while back. The mast would retract all the way so I bought a new mast at Nissan. Come to find out, I couldn't get the stupid thing out of the motor. Somehow the fat part was almost crimped in the motor itself. So I ended up having to buy an entire new motor. Install is EASY. Just take out the old and put in the new. Took maybe a half hour. The new motor w/mast was like $110 or around there for the factory part.
Old 02-28-2002, 10:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Power Antenna problems...

John
There is dirt buildup in your mast.

All you need to do is get a can of WD40 and spray the antenna while it is extended. You will have to repeat this until the antenna goes down properly. Make sure you have paper towels available because you will need to spray and wipe while turning the stereo on and off to allow the oil to break up the dirt inside the mast. What I do is spray the antenna while its retracting.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Try deezo's suggestion first. If it turns out to be just dirt, then you will save yourself a lot of chash.
You might want to cover the area around the antena to protect the paint. I don't know if WD40 will do any major harm (I got some on the paint but just wiped it off and it didn't seem to hurt anything) but its always better to be careful.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:31 AM
jsr0367

I have tried the WD40 ide and that works for about a day. Unfortunately here in NY we user road salt to treat the roads and the WD40 solution works for about a day. The dealer suggested that I not use any lubricants since they attract dirt but I should use steel wool to clean the mast. I am hesitant to use the steel wool idea. The problem also seems to abate when I polish the mast with a polish or wax.

John

Old 02-28-2002, 11:38 AM

I am curious to know...

John
If you do need to replace the whole power Antenna I have one home I can sell you. I shaved everything off my car when I bought it including the antenna hole. so just send me a message.
Old 02-28-2002, 11:44 AM
jsr0367

Re: Re: Power Antenna problems...

If I do need a replacement, how much will it cost me to buy it from you? What do you mean by shave???

Originally posted by DOWN LOW
If you do need to replace the whole power Antenna I have one home I can sell you. I shaved everything off my car when I bought it including the antenna hole. so just send me a message.

Old 02-28-2002, 12:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Power Antenna problems...

If I do need a replacement, how much will it cost me to buy it from you? What do you mean by shave???

give me like $60 for it. I shaved off door handles/ key holes, side moldings, antenna hole, trunk key hole, maxima sign/ nissan badges. I have one of those Fuba antennas on the roof of my car.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have tried the WD40 ide and that works for about a day. Unfortunately here in NY we user road salt to treat the roads and the WD40 solution works for about a day. The dealer suggested that I not use any lubricants since they attract dirt but I should use steel wool to clean the mast. I am hesitant to use the steel wool idea. The problem also seems to abate when I polish the mast with a polish or wax.

John

I'm in MA and WD last longer than a day but sometimes it seems not long enough. I use the WD to clean the crap out of the mast but a heavier lube should be used. I have a new mast in my trunk that I never put it because the old on just needed to be cleaned, so, I ended up wasting a few bucks.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:04 PM

I am curious to know...

John
Got mast from ebay. $22.00 heres the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cg...tem=1808213283
Old 03-01-2002, 05:16 AM

If cleaning doesn't help >>

John
Then most likely, it's got a bend in there sharp enough to trigger the motor stop. Try cleaning it one more time with WD-40, but then lubricating it with a silicone or Lithium based grease. WD-40 is not a true lubricant and does not leave a significant deposit of grease on the surface.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am curious to know...

John
I broke my antenna on my 95 SE, so hubby just cut it off. But you have a second antenna in the back glass, or at least I do. I was worried about bad reception and I looked in my owner's manual and it said that there are two antenna's and the radio will use the one that is getting the best reception. So I will probably just get it shaved.

RR
Old 03-01-2002, 06:07 AM
jsr0367

Re: Re: Power Antenna problems...

No two (2) antennas on my version on Maxima. I did try the steel wool cleaning method the dealer advise me to do and it appears to be working at this stage. Only time will tell.

Originally posted by RR95SE

I broke my antenna on my 95 SE, so hubby just cut it off. But you have a second antenna in the back glass, or at least I do. I was worried about bad reception and I looked in my owner's manual and it said that there are two antenna's and the radio will use the one that is getting the best reception. So I will probably just get it shaved.

RR

Old 03-01-2002, 08:13 AM

But chances are >>

Originally posted by RR95SE

RR
THe power antenna is one getting a better signal. AM/FM bands are basically line of sight.