4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gah some help with 95 -> 97 bumper replacement + some advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 11:54 PM

Gah some help with 95 -> 97 bumper replacement + some advice (updated)

Sorry I read the faqs I'm a bit confused and I already oredered the 95 Aero body kit Hopefully the guys at avalon-racing will let me swap out the 95 front lip for the 97. Basically its friday and I want to get this ordered tomorrow by 9am so everything can be here Wednesday and I can install it asap.

I never realized that the 95-97 fronts where different. I was wondering how the stillen lip made all that differnce

Essentially I was in a fender bender so if I'm doing the change I might as well do it right.

From what I read:
Buy a 97-99 bumper it should fit perfectly into a 95 body. There are two small scoop/bracket that should be moved/removed. Someone mentioned something about an Air dam should I rip it out? I plan on putting a CAI in next week as well. Ramius mentioned building aluminium brackets for the headlights I'm assuming that is necessary.

Whats relatively unncessary:
97 headlamps look better but are not needed
97 clearance corners look better but are not needed
The rest off the stuff off the 95 should just slot back in ie fog lamps etc?

Basically here is what is damaged on the car. The bumper (of course) the Left side bracker, and the A/M reinforcement (this I was told by two companies doing estimates). How easy is it to replace these parts? Can I do it myself or do I need to take it to the shop . I'm pretty sure most body shops would not be very keen on me swapping out my bumper mainly because of adjusting that scoop.

Regards to the Stillen body kit: since my bumper is being attached at the same time would it be easier to attach the stillen kit then attach the bumper? Or do I have to do any prep work to the bumper before I have it painted? I am just getting it done at a v nice local body shop instead of doing some ghetto job myself.

Guys sorry about the post I know its generally frowned upon posting like this but I'm actually freaking out mainly because I'm spending about 4 grand on my max in the next week or so and I want to get thing done right. (rims, stillen lip, alarm system, tints, CAI, replacement parts, painting the parts etc - still have a long way to go next thing I need to do is slam it and do the ftsb mods).

I fund a replica dealer for the parts but I am not sure about the quality. Essentially the parts are nearly half the price buying it from this guy. Hes charging me $145 for the bumper $20 for the Re-inforcement bracket??? Stock price is $130+ for that and $100 for the A/M re-inforcement. You guys think its a good idea to order from this guy or should I just buy the stock parts?

His ebay profile: http://cgi2.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-c...=northshoreabp
Old 03-01-2002, 01:44 AM

Fogs are different

'95-'96 & '97-'99 OEM foglights are different - that's not a bolt-in swap & modding them to fit isn't really an option: I can't see how it would look right.

I have no experience w/ the other stuff & will leave that to those who do.

Good luck w/ the work!
Old 03-01-2002, 04:17 AM
Ramius83

Ask your exact questions, I have done almost all of what you are looking into doing, even the foglights.

Old 03-01-2002, 07:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Finality asked them all already. Follow his example and read everything before posting.

Originally posted by Ramius83
Ask your exact questions, I have done almost all of what you are looking into doing, even the foglights.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:28 AM

Re: Fogs are different

Originally posted by KWheelzSB
'95-'96 & '97-'99 OEM foglights are different - that's not a bolt-in swap & modding them to fit isn't really an option: I can't see how it would look right.

I have no experience w/ the other stuff & will leave that to those who do.

Good luck w/ the work!
Thanks for the info.

I have done almost all of what you are looking into doing, even the foglights.
Ramius have you found any places where you could get the fog lamps etc relatively cheap?
Old 03-01-2002, 10:45 AM

Just got off the phone with Avalon they said swapping it out was not a problem

I just told them I'd pay an extra $20 to get the 97 instead of the 95 since getting both the 95 and 97 lips really would not benefit me. Selling them off would have been more than a $40 loss to myself (S&H etc).

Cant believe I made such a big blunder with the Aero kit I just thought the fit was different not the entire look.