4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bent front right axle.......hit a curb

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 07:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bent front right axle.......hit a curb

I hit a curb while turning cause my brakes didn't really work that well...or at all, who knows. The right is bent and the rim is all scratched up and the tire is pretty my done too. No body damage.

car w/tire ---> |\| <----bent the tire back while i was pulling left.
| |
| |

I have one f*$%ed up car with:
Timing Cover Oil Seal replaced - oil leak
Needs Alternator
New Brake job which I was suppose to do today....rotors and pads....rotors are too thin right now with cheap pads.

Chris
Old 03-05-2002, 08:00 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Re: Bent front right axle.......hit a curb

Originally posted by NISMOPower
I hit a curb while turning cause my brakes didn't really work that well...or at all, who knows. The right is bent and the rim is all scratched up and the tire is pretty my done too. No body damage.

car w/tire ---> |\| <----bent the tire back while i was pulling left.
| |
| |

I have one f*$%ed up car with:
Timing Cover Oil Seal replaced - oil leak
Needs Alternator
New Brake job which I was suppose to do today....rotors and pads....rotors are too thin right now with cheap pads.

Chris
Hey man, had almost the same thing happen to me about a month ago - hit a curb while sliding in the snow on bold tires (doh!), and bent lower control arm, and possibly a shock. whe wheel doesnt sit squarrely in the middle of the wheelwell, and driving it was sh*tty! having a new control arm put in today!
Old 03-05-2002, 11:36 AM

Re: Re: Bent front right axle.......hit a curb

Originally posted by dmBK

Hey man, had almost the same thing happen to me about a month ago - hit a curb while sliding in the snow on bold tires (doh!), and bent lower control arm, and possibly a shock. whe wheel doesnt sit squarrely in the middle of the wheelwell, and driving it was sh*tty! having a new control arm put in today!
How much is it costing you?

Chris
Old 03-05-2002, 01:14 PM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Re: Re: Re: Bent front right axle.......hit a curb

Chris
my mechanic got a used control arm for $75 or $80. the labor and any other necessary bits and pieces - i'll findout tonight, when i'll pick my car up.
Old 03-05-2002, 04:35 PM

Re: Re: Re: Bent front right axle.......hit a curb

Chris
I have all the parts over there for your car.. Let me know what is damaged and we can work something out.. I suggest replacing the lower A-Arm, hub assembly, and tie rod. Let me know if you need that stuff. $110 and you pay shipping. You can easily fix it yourself too.
Old 03-05-2002, 10:32 PM

Does anyone know what i need to do? Where can I get the parts? are there like performance versions of these parts? do i need to get new struts?
Please any more suggestions or advice?

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-06-2002, 07:33 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Does anyone know what i need to do? Where can I get the parts? are there like performance versions of these parts? do i need to get new struts?
Please any more suggestions or advice?

Thanks
Chris
alright, got my car back! that's good. lowercontrol arm was replaced ($120 for it). dont think the tie rod was replaced. in the back of the arm, where it attaches to the frame with a shiny flat thing (not being technical here!), that shiny thing was replaced too. maybe it just comes with the control arm (though it can be removed).
as far as i know, there are no "performance versions" of this part (wish i had a mustang, there are at least 4-5 tubular performance arms to replace stock pieces!).
my arm came from a junk yard (you can find it on the web, i did, but i think u be better off asking your mechanic to get u one)
i actually hit my car on the right, and on the left side, but it appears the left arm is not bent (or is very little). thats where the problem is - i also got new tires, but the rims are the same ones that took the hits, so the front right one (the side, where i replaced the control arm) was put in the back, cause the alingment shop said it was bent.
in any case, after the alingment the car pulls to the left just a bit, and left turn-in is better than the right one. my thinking is either the control arm on the left needs to be replaced too, the front strut is bent a little (maybe with the hub too!), or the left wheel is bent a bit too. the ride is good, but YOU FEEL it aint perfect. to solve it, i'm planning to replace the left side too, then see how it rides, then, since i got stock GLE suspension, will put on AGX/B&G combo, and lastly, will replace the stock 15" "snowflake" wheels with 17"s.

hope the above info helps. sorry if its too long.