4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Why is my transmission so inconsistant?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 10:38 PM

Why is my transmission so inconsistant?

I have a 99 Nissan Maxima with an automatic transmission. I always leave it with O/D on, and sometimes from a dead start it really responds well without much throtle pressure. Other times from a dead start it seems like I have to coax it alot more to get it going? I have checked the transmission fluid while running, and it seems to be topped off fine, with a nice red color. What could possibly be causing this off the line hessitation? It is really starting to worry me because I just got the car and it only has 43K on it, but I am not sure what the previous owner may or may not have done? If any one has some advice I would greatly appreciat it. I am wondering if I should go ahead and buy an extended warranty cause Trannys are really expensive to get fixed or work on for that matter. Thanx
Old 03-05-2002, 11:42 PM

All I'll say is that it's a autmagic welcome to the club

Old 03-06-2002, 05:31 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You have to be at at a complete stop for the car to go into 1st gear. If your rolling just 1 or 2 MPH, the automagic trans. stays in 2nd gear and is a dog off the line. Stepping on the gas harder will cause it to downshift with a slight slam into 1st and woooooowaa you take off.

Just one of the features of the Nissan Automagic tranmission.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:45 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Just one of the features of the Nissan Automagic tranmission.
Should we consider ourselves lucky to have such nice "features"?
Old 03-06-2002, 06:24 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Re: Why is my transmission so inconsistant?

Originally posted by Joseph77
I have a 99 Nissan Maxima with an automatic transmission. I always leave it with O/D on, and sometimes from a dead start it really responds well without much throtle pressure. Other times from a dead start it seems like I have to coax it alot more to get it going? I have checked the transmission fluid while running, and it seems to be topped off fine, with a nice red color. What could possibly be causing this off the line hessitation? It is really starting to worry me because I just got the car and it only has 43K on it, but I am not sure what the previous owner may or may not have done? If any one has some advice I would greatly appreciat it. I am wondering if I should go ahead and buy an extended warranty cause Trannys are really expensive to get fixed or work on for that matter. Thanx
A couple of suggestions...

The point that was made about having to almost STOP before the car shifts into first gear is true - it used to annoy the hell out of me. The only benefit is that it makes you come to a complete stop at stop signs, which will help you avoid tickets

I don't know if your fuel filter has ever been replaced, but this could also cause your hesitation. I noticed more responsiveness when I replaced my fuel filter. Your plugs, throttle body,etc should all be too new to cause any problems.

Another possibility is temperature. When it's cold out, the engine feels a lot more responsive because it's idling a little higher. My first Maxima was an auto and I remember it feeling slower in the warm weather.

Hope this helps...just a couple ideas!
Old 03-06-2002, 06:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lol...darn automagic! I know how you feel. I got one too. Sometime when I hit the gas, the car feel powerful. However, other time when I hit the gas, the car seem to be confused and lags. I just leave OD on, OD off/on doesn't feel any different to me. So now I just leave it in Drive with OD on most of the time. If it lags, there's nothing I can do. Just simply accept it and remind myself to get a 5spd the next time around.
Old 03-06-2002, 01:27 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
lol...darn automagic! I know how you feel. I got one too. Sometime when I hit the gas, the car feel powerful. However, other time when I hit the gas, the car seem to be confused and lags. I just leave OD on, OD off/on doesn't feel any different to me. So now I just leave it in Drive with OD on most of the time. If it lags, there's nothing I can do. Just simply accept it and remind myself to get a 5spd the next time around.

Exactly...you guys have hit it right on the head. I never noticed the tranny lag off a rolling stop till I got my cat-back and high flo intake installed so I could match up the tranny performance with engine and exhaust noise. Sometimes when I roll slowly around a corner and need to give it the boot, I can usually find a sweet spot on the accelerator when this happens my 2nd gear is really strong and pulls hard....if I don't find the sweet spot with the accelerator and I'm in 2nd I inevitably get a hard downshift to 1st and all hell breaks loose.

Does anyone think a Valve Body mode will help minimize these inconsistant magical moments?
Old 03-06-2002, 01:57 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

VB's only improve upshifts...

Originally posted by Mark Reilly

Exactly...you guys have hit it right on the head. I never noticed the tranny lag off a rolling stop till I got my cat-back and high flo intake installed so I could match up the tranny performance with engine and exhaust noise. Sometimes when I roll slowly around a corner and need to give it the boot, I can usually find a sweet spot on the accelerator when this happens my 2nd gear is really strong and pulls hard....if I don't find the sweet spot with the accelerator and I'm in 2nd I inevitably get a hard downshift to 1st and all hell breaks loose.

Does anyone think a Valve Body mode will help minimize these inconsistant magical moments?
Old 03-06-2002, 02:05 PM

Thanx for all the info. I guess its just that darn automatic, I knew I should have gotten the 5 speed, but I a like having an automatic for a change. Had a 86 VW Gti 5spd, that was a hell of a fun car, but shifting really got old after a while. Peace
Old 03-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mtrai760
VB's only improve upshifts...

Yeah, the VB doesn't seem to help much on the downshifts. The lag will still be there from time to time even with the VB upgrade. However, it's better than nothing.