4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 08:20 PM
ybelm620

Suspension Noise

I noticed this today, when i start off from a pause i hear a noise or rattling sound like something is loose. I checked where the noise was coming from and its in the left rear strut or spring from what i suspect. do you guys have any idea what it could be or can it be repaired? I would hate to have to go and buy new springs or struts..lol It also shakes or makes the rattling sound when i go over potholes or bumps. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-17-2002, 01:09 AM

check and see if the 2 strut mount bolts are tight. they are located in the trunk behind the plastic liner material. they are torqued at 15 ft lbs
Old 03-29-2002, 01:32 AM

Re: Suspension Noise

Originally posted by ybelm620
I noticed this today, when i start off from a pause i hear a noise or rattling sound like something is loose. I checked where the noise was coming from and its in the left rear strut or spring from what i suspect. do you guys have any idea what it could be or can it be repaired? I would hate to have to go and buy new springs or struts..lol It also shakes or makes the rattling sound when i go over potholes or bumps. Thanks in advance.
i have the same problem. it's been going on for amount 4 months now...right after i put on the 18" wheels. i've already installed/replaced spiral rubber, dust cover, and bump stop. i have not replaced the upper perch. now that i have adjusted my suspension 4 or 5 times over the last 4 months, i think i've found the problem, but don't know the solution.

all the rubber pieces were not the problem. ever since i've installed the 18" wheels, the top portion of the spring is pushed backward (toward rear-end of the car) on the upper perch (the big rubber piece on the top of the springs). this happens gradually. after two or three weeks of driving, the both springs (left and right) are pushed to the rear-end so much that springs are now rubbing against the shock...i hope this is making sense. once the noise gets really loud, i jack-up the car and sure enough, i see the springs push back to the rear. i re-adjust to the center and the noise is gone, at least for few more weeks. does anyone know why this happening? i figure the car's weight is enough to prevent springs from moving out of the upper perch. looking at the upper perch (rubber piece), replacing will not solve the problem (at least, i don't think it will.

please help!!!

jhlee
Old 03-29-2002, 01:59 AM

Interesting... I don't have aftermarket rims, but do have Eibachs/Konis, and I started hearing metal-on-metal rattling going over bumps about a month after the install! I always thought it was the trunk lid or the bars under the parcel shelf or something, but never had a chance to go looking for the source...

It's gotta be those damn springs! I'll have to make time to take a look now.

Thanks for the info jhlee, sorry I couldn't help though.