4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

ebay intake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 12:01 AM
Custom User Title...

ebay intake question

has anyone seen the intake the guy on ebay, procarparts.com is selling? it's just that universal filter with the adapter for the maxima and it's only like $39 shipped. are those filters crap or are they decent enough? also how long do they last and do they need to be oiled like k & n? what does everyone think? thanx
Old 03-22-2002, 12:14 AM

Re: ebay intake question

Originally posted by Jepht20
has anyone seen the intake the guy on ebay, procarparts.com is selling? it's just that universal filter with the adapter for the maxima and it's only like $39 shipped. are those filters crap or are they decent enough? also how long do they last and do they need to be oiled like k & n? what does everyone think? thanx

DO NOT BUY FROM PROCARPARTS.COM....geez read his feedback...you might as well mail a check for a 100 bucks to me cuz i ain't gonna send you an intake and neither is he
Old 03-22-2002, 12:16 AM
Custom User Title...

Re: Re: ebay intake question

Originally posted by Maximaxny

DO NOT BUY FROM PROCARPARTS.COM....geez read his feedback...you might as well mail a check for a 100 bucks to me cuz i ain't gonna send you an intake and neither is he

i appreciate your response but all i want to know is what i asked about the filters themselves. thanx
Old 03-22-2002, 12:55 AM

any filters for that amount have to be crap, get a POP charger, or better yet a CAI, I have mine from Cattman and love it.
Old 03-22-2002, 02:26 AM

I used to have one of those "budget" filters on my car. It will work , I had to build a homemade brace to keep the filter from coming off. After a few weeks I got a used Stillen Intake from one of the guys at the org.(about $125.00 if I recall) & the difference was like night & day. Don't buy a cheap one. Save your spare change until you can get the real thing.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:49 PM

I bought a budget intake for $65 (I think), only 2 of the 4 holes lined up, the other 2 had to be plugged (where it mated to factory intake). There is a difference in performance, but I'm looking to replace it with a Cattman or Stillen; which is better?
Old 03-22-2002, 07:59 PM

Re: Re: ebay intake question

I've bought four times from procarparts and I have nothing but good things to say.....(No, I don't work for them!

Originally posted by Maximaxny

Old 03-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I bought a filter from procarparts.com on ebay for $20. It is blue and I love it. I used the adapter from www.summitracing.com to connect it to my MAF and have nothing but good things to say about the intake.

Procarparts.com was fast and efficient with that transaction but I recently bought an intake for my friend's 4Runner and it was a horrible experience. First they didn't send the right part, then when you try and contact them you never can reach anyone. They don't respond to e-mails and their phone is ALWAYS busy. I finally got someone and they sent me the extra part. I still had to modify the intake a pretty fair amount to get it to fit under the hood and then the hoses didn't plug in right.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with the maxima. I say go for the filter, its cheap and works and sounds as good as the more expensive ones. My whole intake costed me $46 and it was worth every penny. Check out the pic below.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
[B]I bought a filter from procarparts.com on ebay for $20. It is blue and I love it. I used the adapter from www.summitracing.com to connect it to my MAF and have nothing but good things to say about the intake.
You wouldnt happen to have the part number for the summit cat. handy would you?
Old 03-22-2002, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by geo1317

You wouldnt happen to have the part number for the summit cat. handy would you?
Try GRM-10-500.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Try GRM-10-500.
Found it. Thanks
Old 03-22-2002, 10:33 PM

I think my problem with the adapter purchased from e-bay was the 4 hole pattern was for an earlier 4th gen Maxima, did not line up with my 1999. The guy kept insisting it would fit, there was no way it would fit properly, could get 2 of 4 holes lined up, decided to plug 2 other holes and use it as it was, but now want to go with something different.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:10 PM
Custom User Title...

I bought a filter from procarparts.com on ebay for $20. It is blue and I love it. I used the adapter from www.summitracing.com to connect it to my MAF and have nothing but good things to say about the intake.

Anyway, that has nothing to do with the maxima. I say go for the filter, its cheap and works and sounds as good as the more expensive ones. My whole intake costed me $46 and it was worth every penny. Check out the pic below.
~ thanx for the feedback. i appreciate it cuz i bought it already and wasn't sure if i should put it in. i figure i will try it and then later decide if i should upgrade. i tried taking out my stock air box and there is that one damn bolt/screw that i just can't get to. does anyone have any suggestions as to how i would get the fourth one out? it's the farthest one in and seems to almost be blocked. also, do you think the filter and kit is a direct replacement or do i need to modify it any way to fit my 95? is there some weird temperature wire i need to somehow play with that connects to the stock air box because i saw something like that in someones picture? thanx guys
Old 03-22-2002, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by chipobrien
I think my problem with the adapter purchased from e-bay was the 4 hole pattern was for an earlier 4th gen Maxima, did not line up with my 1999. The guy kept insisting it would fit, there was no way it would fit properly, could get 2 of 4 holes lined up, decided to plug 2 other holes and use it as it was, but now want to go with something different.
Hey bro I know exactly what you are talking about. I bought a filter on Ebay and when I got mine, only two of the four holes matched up as well...so all I did was sort of slant the adapter diagonally so that the top right and bottom left holes matched, so that it would even out a little bit. No problems yet and everything looks, sounds, and feels a-okay.
Old 03-22-2002, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by SoccrZ

Hey bro I know exactly what you are talking about. I bought a filter on Ebay and when I got mine, only two of the four holes matched up as well...so all I did was sort of slant the adapter diagonally so that the top right and bottom left holes matched, so that it would even out a little bit. No problems yet and everything looks, sounds, and feels a-okay.
Yeah, I knew I wasn't insane, I even "scanned" the bolt pattern from the stock airbox (after I ripped it out, talk about burning your bridges...), just looked at the scan, definitely not a match for the MAF adapter I got. I used duct tape on both sides of the new MAF adapter to keep dirt out. I need to check it tomorrow (oops, that's today already) just to make sure it's OK. t does add some power tho, the torque steer has increased noticeably! And a nice sound under WOT.

But I'm going for a group buy here, here are the details:

Upper Intake tube price is $75 (Black w/ black hoses and clamps)

Combo (upper tube + Monsterflow filter) is $115 (NEW PRICEDROP!! )

Combo (upper tube with the Jim Wolf POP intake) is $175

Was told that #2 would have all I need to make mine right, so I'll get that.

Here's the URL for the thread:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....883#post950640

[B][U]
Old 03-23-2002, 04:26 AM

Originally posted by Jepht20

~ thanx for the feedback. i appreciate it cuz i bought it already and wasn't sure if i should put it in. i figure i will try it and then later decide if i should upgrade. i tried taking out my stock air box and there is that one damn bolt/screw that i just can't get to. does anyone have any suggestions as to how i would get the fourth one out? it's the farthest one in and seems to almost be blocked. also, do you think the filter and kit is a direct replacement or do i need to modify it any way to fit my 95? is there some weird temperature wire i need to somehow play with that connects to the stock air box because i saw something like that in someones picture? thanx guys
All you should have to do is zip tie the temp sensor right next to the intake filter. My MAF adaptor didn't fit either. I just assumed they sent me the wrong one. I drilled out the metal piece in the stock airbox and used it to mark the holes I needed on the adaptor. Once I made those it fit fine.