4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Crackling noise from the rear

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 12:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Crackling noise from the rear

I've got a 99SE/LE, and for the past year or so there's been this constant (and very annoying) crackling noise coming from the rear when I drive SLOWLY over uneven surfaces, as if the frame is crackling. I asked a mechanic and he said it may be the strut - but the car doesn't make any noise going through bumps, only when going through uneven surfaces - like when you go up a driveway at an angle, you know the frame is going to bend a little...

Any suggestions? Should I ask my dealer to "lubricate" the chassis (whatever that's supposed to mean).
Old 03-22-2002, 01:06 PM

Re: Crackling noise from the rear

Originally posted by mingster
I've got a 99SE/LE, and for the past year or so there's been this constant (and very annoying) crackling noise coming from the rear when I drive SLOWLY over uneven surfaces, as if the frame is crackling. I asked a mechanic and he said it may be the strut - but the car doesn't make any noise going through bumps, only when going through uneven surfaces - like when you go up a driveway at an angle, you know the frame is going to bend a little...

Any suggestions? Should I ask my dealer to "lubricate" the chassis (whatever that's supposed to mean).
i have a 95 GLE and had the same cracking noises. the noise on my car was due to both rear rotors being cracked. they only made the noise going slow on uneven surfaces (i.e. sloped drive thru window, driveways, etc). never heard the noise during normal driving. nissan service tech was amazed that the rotors had not blown apart - i saw them, they were bad
better have them looked at just in case.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Crackling noise from the rear

Originally posted by WoPhatMax

i have a 95 GLE and had the same cracking noises. the noise on my car was due to both rear rotors being cracked. they only made the noise going slow on uneven surfaces (i.e. sloped drive thru window, driveways, etc). never heard the noise during normal driving. nissan service tech was amazed that the rotors had not blown apart - i saw them, they were bad
better have them looked at just in case.
mm...no, not the rotors.

i read one of the notes about the lowering springs making those noise, any other comments on the possible cause?

thanks.
Old 03-28-2002, 11:46 PM

could be...

creaking rubber suspension bushings. That'd be my guess. If there's anything that could be lubed in the rear (ok you people, DON'T go there), I would have it done.
Old 03-29-2002, 05:54 AM

I had a crackling noise in the rear, I was able to trace it to the trunk liner on the sides of the car coming a little loose and banging in the metal. It drove me nuts until I fixed it.