4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Auto trans fluid change 99Max

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2000, 08:41 PM
dakota

I am going to drain and change the fluid in my 99 Max auto trans and need to know how much fluid I will need. I intend to replace it with Mobil 1 synthetic. Thank for your help.

Old 11-23-2000, 06:27 AM
abakaitis

Originally posted by dakota
I am going to drain and change the fluid in my 99 Max auto trans and need to know how much fluid I will need. I intend to replace it with Mobil 1 synthetic. Thank for your help.
I am going to change my '95 fluid and filter soon. It has 230,00 miles. The last time I changed it I used 5 qts. This is substantially less then the amount listed in capacity charts becuase some remains in the transaxle. As I understand it when you just pull the pan, you don't get it all, but that is what I am going to do.

Note: The first time I changed it around 100,000 the local Nissan dealer incorrectly told me to just unscrew the plug. They did not recommend pulling the pan and changing filter. Around 150,000 the transmission started to slip and I underwent a very costly transmission rebuild - which may have been caused by my failure to change filter.

Old 11-23-2000, 07:01 AM

Dakota...my '97 took exactly 6 quarts the last time I changed it (drain and refill only). The stated capacity in the manual is much greater due to the fluid that resides in the torque converter. You won't be able to drain the torque converter unless you drop the pan. Dealers have a machine that will pump out and replace ALL the fluid in the transmission. I had it done at a Nissan dealer for ~$125.
Old 11-23-2000, 08:17 AM

Originally posted by goldmax
... ... Dealers have a machine that will pump out and replace ALL the fluid in the transmission. I had it done at a Nissan dealer for ~$125.
Lots of shops have the Magic Sucker Pump. Your local Quicky-Jiffy-Iffy Lube probably has one. They will charge about US$80 for the service.
Old 11-23-2000, 10:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Buy 6 quarts to be safe.. When I did mine I only bought 4 quarts.. And I ended up having to drive to Autozone with low tranny fluid to buy more. Make sure when you check your fluid level you do it using the owner's manual's guidelines. It actually took me two days worth of driving to get the fluid level right. But it took about 5-6 quarts.

ZuM
Old 11-24-2000, 07:59 AM

Jiffy lube machine

I was wondering as to what they do exactly with this "magic sucker pump" because Valvoline does the same thing--which is a drain, pump out--and I asked three valvolines on the phone b/c I wasn't sure if one guy knew what the heck he was talking about. But they only charge about $25 for this service. Am I getting this wrong? But they specifically said they hook your car up to the pump machine and pump out all old fluids and then do a complete refill.

I know what I got done at the Dealer a few months back was just a drain and refill which was about 5 quarts worth. But does pumping out everything require for the shop to open the transmission pan?

And btw, what is this mention of a transmission filter--I thought there wasn't one--that was what the dealer told me...

can anyone shed some light on this?

Brian
Old 11-24-2000, 08:06 AM

Re: Jiffy lube machine

Originally posted by humaras
I was wondering as to what they do exactly with this "magic sucker pump" because Valvoline does the same thing--which is a drain, pump out--and I asked three valvolines on the phone b/c I wasn't sure if one guy knew what the heck he was talking about. But they only charge about $25 for this service. Am I getting this wrong? But they specifically said they hook your car up to the pump machine and pump out all old fluids and then do a complete refill.

I know what I got done at the Dealer a few months back was just a drain and refill which was about 5 quarts worth. But does pumping out everything require for the shop to open the transmission pan?

And btw, what is this mention of a transmission filter--I thought there wasn't one--that was what the dealer told me...

can anyone shed some light on this?

Brian
When i worked at Jiffy Lube, it was called a T-Tech. This tapped into your trans cooler line and it would suck all of the fluid out while filling it back in. It will hold about 10qts according to their guide, mine took about that too. If you do a drain and fill, figre around 4qts or so. It was 3.75qts on the guns back at JF. If you are going to run synthetic in the trans, do not do a drain and fill, that only gets out half. Get 10 if not 11qts then have a Vavoline or JF do a complete trans drain (T-Tech) on it. t will run you $80 or so but damn it will make your trans run so much smoother and last so much longer. I do a drain and fill at every other 10kmiles then a T-Tech in between. SO at 10k miles i would do a drain and fill then once i hit 20k i would use a t-tech then at 30 do a drain and fill again. That is what i have been doin on the old trans. There is a trans filter, all the way up past the valve body, just remove the plan and spray 2-3 cans of carb cleaner to clean it out. If you service your trans enough you wontr have to replace it. It is something i would noit try to do let alone tackling a valve body job.
Old 11-24-2000, 08:10 AM

Re: Jiffy lube machine

... ...But does pumping out everything require for the shop to open the transmission pan?
There are different brands of Magic Sucker Pump. Some have a hookup which requires the technician to drop the pan. Others just splice into the transmission cooler lines which run to the heat exchanger section of the radiator.
Old 11-24-2000, 08:47 AM

Re: Re: Jiffy lube machine

... ...But does pumping out everything require for the shop to open the transmission pan?
For a nice article about the different kinds of Magic Sucker Pumps, go to http://www.motorservice.net/ms/archi...600/0600tf.asp
Old 11-24-2000, 08:56 AM

thanks you guys

So at jiffy lube it costs about $80--that seems to be a pretty decent price, considering that the Nissan dealer in my area charged $65 for just the drain and refill. I think after the winter and at the end of my 10k of refil, I am going to go to either valvoline or Jiffy lube and have them hook it up to a T-tech and take care of it.

Synki--
I am assuming then that you can bring your transmission fluid for them to refill with, correct?
How is their service? pretty decent?

well, I am only at 30756 as of today, but because I live in NYC and all my trips are very short--1-3 miles, I know that the service requirements are a bit different--such that I can probably put on 7K in a year but I still need to do two oil changes.

Old 11-24-2000, 03:38 PM

Re: thanks you guys

So at jiffy lube it costs about $80--that seems to be a pretty decent price, considering that the Nissan dealer in my area charged $65 for just the drain and refill. I think after the winter and at the end of my 10k of refil, I am going to go to either valvoline or Jiffy lube and have them hook it up to a T-tech and take care of it.

Synki--
I am assuming then that you can bring your transmission fluid for them to refill with, correct?
How is their service? pretty decent?

well, I am only at 30756 as of today, but because I live in NYC and all my trips are very short--1-3 miles, I know that the service requirements are a bit different--such that I can probably put on 7K in a year but I still need to do two oil changes.

Humarus-
You can bring in your own fluid, it will save you about 3-5 bucks ro so, cant quite remember, i quit there about 2 months ago. Their service it pretty good. They will bring your car around back and do it outside (Thats wut we did here in NJ) and they will tap into 1 of your tran cooler lines. THe service takes about 20 mins or so. Let them know of you have like a aftermarket trans cooler too, that would call for an addition quart of fluid.