4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What is nosier: CAI or Cone K&N Filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 01:05 AM

What is nosier: CAI or Cone K&N Filter?

Which is more noise:
CAI or just a regular K&N Cone intake??
Which one gives more torque???

Please respond specific!!!
Old 03-30-2002, 02:08 AM

Louder, CAI. Torque, both don't give much.
Old 03-30-2002, 02:23 AM

the HAI will sound louder to you in the car but the cai is louder from outside.
Old 03-30-2002, 03:56 AM

I've had both. I just replaced my Stillen intake with a Place Racing CAI. The CAI is definitely louder. Under WOT throttle, it sounds like heavy, ripping linen. And it's loud enough that I've had drivers in front of me panic at the sound, and drive off the road!

The CAI, Y-PIPE, catalytic converter, and catback system perform together as a team. The whole is better than the sum of its parts. You put all this together, and the engine will be uncorked, and loud under heavy throttle. Normal driving will yield a nice purr...

As far as torque is concerned, my butt dyno can't make the determination. I have read the CAI will provide more low-end torque, and the Stillen intake, for example, will yield more high-end torque. All I know is, my car seems like it has more b@lls now that the CAI is on there. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:57 PM

Originally posted by bullseye
I've had both. I just replaced my Stillen intake with a Place Racing CAI. The CAI is definitely louder. Under WOT throttle, it sounds like heavy, ripping linen. And it's loud enough that I've had drivers in front of me panic at the sound, and drive off the road!

The CAI, Y-PIPE, catalytic converter, and catback system perform together as a team. The whole is better than the sum of its parts. You put all this together, and the engine will be uncorked, and loud under heavy throttle. Normal driving will yield a nice purr...

As far as torque is concerned, my butt dyno can't make the determination. I have read the CAI will provide more low-end torque, and the Stillen intake, for example, will yield more high-end torque. All I know is, my car seems like it has more b@lls now that the CAI is on there. Good luck.
Thanx!!! I'll go with CAI then, coz I already have my Cone intake, but I'll substitute it!
Old 03-30-2002, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
the HAI will sound louder to you in the car but the cai is louder from outside.
He is right. I think a CAI would give you more torque.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by 97GreenMax

He is right. I think a CAI would give you more torque.
Thanx for answers, do you know if CAI comes with the upper part which gets the resinator and accordion area out of the way???
Old 03-30-2002, 01:30 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Originally posted by Mikesburn

Thanx for answers, do you know if CAI comes with the upper part which gets the resinator and accordion area out of the way???
yea that is what a CAI is. It get's rid of all that box **** and resonation behind the cone, and dips into the fenderwell where the cone sits for cold air pickup.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack

yea that is what a CAI is. It get's rid of all that box **** and resonation behind the cone, and dips into the fenderwell where the cone sits for cold air pickup.
Thanx, I'll deff get the CAI now!
Old 03-30-2002, 02:28 PM

If you get a CAI, go with a cattman. I think I paid $230 with shipping, and i'm glad i got it. It'll only be real loud at WOT, and even then its not very loud, from the inside at least. I recommend this very much, and like that other dude's car, mine feels like it has more *****.
Old 03-30-2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by adam-99GLE
If you get a CAI, go with a cattman. I think I paid $230 with shipping, and i'm glad i got it. It'll only be real loud at WOT, and even then its not very loud, from the inside at least. I recommend this very much, and like that other dude's car, mine feels like it has more *****.
D u think it'll help with being sluggish?

Coz I have pop and I feel like it's not doin' what I need!
Old 03-30-2002, 06:47 PM

D u think it'll help with being sluggish?

Coz I have pop and I feel like it's not doin' what I need!
Well, I have a 5-speed gxe (regardless of my name ) and i shift at about 3000 rpms, but when i do take it higher it feels like i've lost, especially at about 5000. I think the pop-charger is for more high end power, so it all depends on what you want the power for; (this is as far as i know.) My low end isn't sluggish at all. What's sluggish is my 2 12" subs and box in the back
Old 03-30-2002, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by adam-99GLE

Well, I have a 5-speed gxe (regardless of my name ) and i shift at about 3000 rpms, but when i do take it higher it feels like i've lost, especially at about 5000. I think the pop-charger is for more high end power, so it all depends on what you want the power for; (this is as far as i know.) My low end isn't sluggish at all. What's sluggish is my 2 12" subs and box in the back
Ha! Sluggish subs! Wich ones d u have? I used to deal with that problem too, when my subs weren't as powerfull as I wanted it to be. The main thing is to seperate the trunk and iside of the car, so the bass plays inside of the car only. It helped me with my IDMAX.

Thanx for answering about CAI. I'll prob go with Warpspeed one, it's only 160 dollars. I think I really need low end, I like my car to feel like it's very light, but nowadays it feels very heavy and there is no way I can figure it out
Well, thanx for your reply!
Mike A.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:59 AM

Ha! Sluggish subs! Wich ones d u have? I used to deal with that problem too, when my subs weren't as powerfull as I wanted it to be. The main thing is to seperate the trunk and iside of the car, so the bass plays inside of the car only. It helped me with my IDMAX.

Thanx for answering about CAI. I'll prob go with Warpspeed one, it's only 160 dollars. I think I really need low end, I like my car to feel like it's very light, but nowadays it feels very heavy and there is no way I can figure it out
Well, thanx for your reply!
Mike A.
I have 2 JL AUDIO W6's, and I love them...they hit hard and play loud when I want them too. I just wanted some decent-sounding bass in the background that hit, cuz i usually don't bump my **** too much. I got a MTX 8100D amp, 1000 watts, or 12000 I dunno, but for 150 bucks from my friend, and it works well. Later
Old 03-31-2002, 03:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i've got the hybrid intake, stillen cone filter and the upper cai piece, and it sounds sweet. it has the lower growl of the cai but didn't obviously require any drilling of my engine bay. IMO the cai could and should make more power, but maybe lose a bit in top end. i say go with the warpspeed piece too. good luck!
Old 04-01-2002, 06:04 AM

CATTMAN CAI

hey i got a cattman y pipe going with the cattman CAI will there be any real difference??