4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fog Light Install for '95 & '96

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 10:20 PM

Fog Light Install for '95 & '96

This is for all those '95 & '96 owners without fog lights.

I've recently installed the OE foglights on to my '96 GXE. Few helpful tips/insights.

First, if you want an exact fit, don't use the included template. The hole made with the template is much larger then the actual size of the foglights. It's better to cut the inner most area (where is ridges end), then mount the housing to the bumper. Then test fit the fog onto the housing assembly. Initally, it may be a little tight, but you'll able to see which area of the hole will need trimming. Repeat this process until foglights fit perfectly. Remember to cut about 1/4 inch more then the foglight size since you need to install the black plastic liner around the foglight hole. I bought a new box-cutter knife with some new blades for $15 at Home Depot. The bumper was easy to cut using the new blades. BTW, don't extend the blade all the way out. Extend the blade a little more then the thickness of the bumper. I found that short blade length offers more control.

Second, I've read that a lot people had problem installing the black plastic piece over the newly cut hole. It starts out easy then gets harder, especially around corners. An easy way to install this is to heat the plastic. Do not heat it too much otherwise it will warp. Heating it just a little will make the plastic piece a lot more flexible.

Lastly, as per instructions provided with the foglight kit, if you own a '95 or '96 AUTOMATIC GXE without ABS and Power Driver Seats, your car is NOT pre-wired for foglights. However, you are pre-wired from the relay to the on/off switch (the relay and the switch comes with the kit - basically, replaces your turn signal/headlight switch with a new one which includes foglight on/off switch on the same assembly). If your car was not pre-wired, and still want to use the included switch, look for small wiring harness in the front of the battery. Look for it in the very front of the hood on the driver side. If your car was not pre-wired for foglights, this harness should not be attached to anything. Unfortunately, there is very little slack, so you'll need to extend it with 16 gauge electrical wire. Connect the extension wire to the foglights. I'm not too sure what this harness was used for, however, connecting to the foglights to this wire does offer the full functionality of the foglight switch (works through the foglight relay). Cut the wire harness off and connect the extension wires. Once cut, you'll see two wires, one black (this is the ground wire) and the second orange with black stripe. Connect the positive (+) to the orange with black stripe and negative to the black wire or you can chose to connect the ground to the car's chassis. Both fogs need to be connected to this wires since this wire only exists on the driverside. Be sure to protect extension wire with some sort wire wrap or something similiar. Due to heat and movement, bare wires may rub and cause it wear out the insulation. This is may cause a short later on.

Good Luck!

jhlee
Old 03-31-2002, 01:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I wish I read this earlier. Just installed it yesterday...the holes are a little big, esp since I made sure to cut from the template EXACTLY.

Does anyone know if I really need the gaskets around the trim? (It was a b*tch to put on but I'll remove them if they're not necessary)
Old 03-31-2002, 10:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson
I wish I read this earlier. Just installed it yesterday...the holes are a little big, esp since I made sure to cut from the template EXACTLY.

Does anyone know if I really need the gaskets around the trim? (It was a b*tch to put on but I'll remove them if they're not necessary)
I think the gasket looks good. I put them on mine.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:33 PM

the gasket is not necessary. it's just to cover up any imperfection you might have created while cutting the hole. if you have a perfectly clean cut, you can take it off.

jhlee
Old 04-01-2002, 09:33 AM
Sports Button FTW

yo man, i installed fogs on my 95 GLE and it was hell and a half trying to get the actual fogs on the brackets...i can't see under there and the screws would not go in...when i finally got it in i was relieved but i didn't melt the plastic and that black lining was hell part 2....i bought this silver llning to replace the black lining cause i cut it in pieces and stuck it here and there but it looks kind of ugly...but the silver lining is the type used on the doors...it should fit cause it's very similar in size to the black but if i knew melting would make easier, i would have saved a lot of time, money and headaches....

i didn't put brackets because i was too lazy but i think they were given so we wouldn't scratch the sh*t ouf ot the surface...i cut the design part out and from straight ahead the hole is a JUST fit which looks good but if car is lifted and u REALLY look at it, you'll see that above the lights there's a descent size hole....but looks good from straight ahead so no complaints here.....
Old 04-01-2002, 09:52 AM

For me I don't think it was necessary to put that black plastic hose around the hole for the foglights especialy if your car is not black, instead I cut the hole following the template on the bumper, sand around the hole so its smooth and not ruff around the edges, put a little touch-up paint and WALLAA.
You have the nice clean factory look
Old 10-04-2003, 11:57 AM

Just wondering what price and where any of u guys picked up the kit?
Old 10-04-2003, 08:03 PM

Jerry Rome Nissan www.jerryromenissan.com/en_US/ has them for 215 shipped right now. I think I paid about that much last year when I bought mine.

Troy
Old 10-12-2003, 02:59 PM
Custom User Title...

Originally Posted by jhlee_99
If your car was not pre-wired, and still want to use the included switch, look for small wiring harness in the front of the battery. Look for it in the very front of the hood on the driver side. If your car was not pre-wired for foglights, this harness should not be attached to anything. Unfortunately, there is very little slack, so you'll need to extend it with 16 gauge electrical wire. Connect the extension wire to the foglights. I'm not too sure what this harness was used for, however, connecting to the foglights to this wire does offer the full functionality of the foglight switch (works through the foglight relay). jhlee

i am gonna end up using this but my question is....can someone tell me what it is actually for?? i don't get why it's not connected cuz the other part of the plug is there, so it's just taped and not connected. i'd just like to know what it is for before i splice into it. why would it work with fogs? wacky......
thanx