4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Window problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 12:26 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Window problem

MY driver's side window seems to be a little off track. IT works fine but there is something that concerns me. Like when I roll it up it sort of tilts-- right at the moment when it shuts. The other windows don't do that. Also when it is down like halfway and I roll it down further, it doesn't go down smooth, it "jumps" down. On the other windows I can roll them up and down from a halfway point all day long and it's smooth operation. I'm worried about it because while it may be fine now, it will wear out prematurely I am afraid. Anyone have this problem? Any easy fix?

Old 04-06-2002, 03:57 AM

Re: Window problem

Originally posted by MaxedOut97SE
MY driver's side window seems to be a little off track. IT works fine but there is something that concerns me. Like when I roll it up it sort of tilts-- right at the moment when it shuts. The other windows don't do that. Also when it is down like halfway and I roll it down further, it doesn't go down smooth, it "jumps" down. On the other windows I can roll them up and down from a halfway point all day long and it's smooth operation. I'm worried about it because while it may be fine now, it will wear out prematurely I am afraid. Anyone have this problem? Any easy fix?
Old 04-06-2002, 04:02 AM

I have a similar problem. A couple years ago the regulator went bad on my back window (woke up one morning and the window was suddenly down and wouldn't move). Now my driver's side window intermittently goes up and down very slowly like its off track. I had the same question whether to try to fix it before it totally goes bad - heard the window regulators tend to go bad on maximas.
Old 04-06-2002, 07:46 PM

It sounds like your window is off track from the weather strip. Happened to me at one time. All I did was take the door panel off and removed the window, and then re-installed by lining the window channels with lithium grease. Works like a charm! I hope this helps.
Old 04-12-2002, 07:22 AM

Welcome to the club

btw MIXXMAX got anymore details on exactly how you did this? thanks
Old 04-12-2002, 08:07 AM

very nice max gtrblk...........about the windows...........if you are willing to spend about 50 bucks, a local mechanic will do it for you, my friends audi had a similar problem, he took off the door panel and just put the window back on track, if you want to attempt it by yourself, pick up a hanes manual
Old 04-12-2002, 10:49 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Re: Re: Window problem

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
Welcome to the club
Yours does that too Jon? It's annoying isn't it. IS it just your drivers window or what?

Old 04-12-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Window problem

Yours does that too Jon? It's annoying isn't it. IS it just your drivers window or what?
Both front
Old 04-12-2002, 10:03 PM

Re: Re: Window problem

Originally posted by GTRBlkMax97
Welcome to the club

btw MIXXMAX got anymore details on exactly how you did this? thanks
Yes, you MUST take the actual window out of the door. Be very careful that you don't drop it while sliding it out. It's relatively simple to do. There are only two mounting bolts holding it in. Remove these and lift the window out. Once, the glass is out, make sure the weather strip is on "track". Line inside with a small coating of lithium grease and re-install window glass. Slide window up and down to see if it runs smoothly.